PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Harper's Ferry

GreyM&M
07-12-2015, 15:09
I'm doing the Virginia section from Damascus to Harper's ferry on Aug 1. Any input on weather, suggestions for the best places to get in to town, anything else are appreciated.

bigcranky
07-12-2015, 16:22
Weather: hot with afternoon thunderstorms. But you knew that :)

Hmm, for resupply I like Marion a lot (get there on the local transit option from the Partnership shelter), Pearisburg (I loved the Woods Hole hostel just south of town, but it's also easy to just walk up to the Food Lion when coming past the town). Daleville is great, go west to the big Kroger shopping center. Do not miss Waynesboro. Do not miss the waysides in Shenandoah.

Have a great hike. :)

johnnybgood
07-12-2015, 19:18
I'll also add that shuttle driver information for Waynesboro is attached to the outside guardrail support post as you approach the road at Rockfish Gap. Some will shuttle you into town for free.
As mentioned above, it is possible to get a public transit shuttle from Partnership Shelter . As of last Spring there was a phone outside Mt.Rogers Headquarters with a number listed for transit bus service. Although I didn't stay at Partnership Shelter I hear it's popular to order pizza to be delivered there.

And the current weather pattern has seen lots of rain with afternoon T-storms , making procuring water less of an issue this summer.

Have fun .

Jim Lynch
07-12-2015, 21:17
I'll give a shoutout to the Bears Den Hostel. And the Mountain Home Hostel. Both very close to the AT.

hiking@40
07-13-2015, 00:19
Hello all, How is Virginia area mid October. Had to cancel earlier plans, and now eyeing mid-October SOBO Fox Creek area to Damascus.

q-tip
07-13-2015, 11:18
Keep an eye out for McAfee Knob....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=18958&uid=20935&d=1362055218

Studlintsean
07-13-2015, 12:50
Hello all, How is Virginia area mid October.

Perfect......

GreyM&M
07-13-2015, 19:36
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice.

moth
12-19-2015, 22:10
I'm planning on doing the same hike through Virginia Aug/September 2016.
option 1) Take the train to harpers ferry and a shuttle to Damascus.
option 2) Get off the train and start hiking south.
Thoughts...

Sugarfoot
12-20-2015, 09:17
You could get closer to Damascus by taking the AmTrak NE Regional to Lynchburg, VA and the AmTrak bus to Blacksburg, which is very close to Pearisburg. A shuttle from Blacksburg, or Lynchburg, ought to be a lot less than shuttling from Harpers Ferry. Another alternative would be to fly into TriCities Airport and shuttle to Damascus, but I prefer the train.

bigcranky
12-20-2015, 09:45
I'm planning on doing the same hike through Virginia Aug/September 2016.
option 1) Take the train to harpers ferry and a shuttle to Damascus.
option 2) Get off the train and start hiking south.
Thoughts...

I would get off the train and start hiking south. No pressure to get anywhere -- you're done when you are done, and you can get off the trail wherever and get a bus or hitch or whatever to a place where you can get home.

Jim Lynch
12-20-2015, 20:55
Any of the hiker guides should be a big help. Weather should be pretty hot. Talk to other hikers about water sources, springs running, just in case it's a dry summer.