PDA

View Full Version : TV Talk: Who's ready for Naked and Afraid XL? Let's talk!!

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 15:28
Hello adventurers, I hope you all had an awesome weekend!! So who's ready for the new Naked And Afraid XL series to begin tonight at 9? What's your opinions on the show? Would you go on it? Could you stay the entire time? What would be your item of choice to bring along with you if you were on the show? Let's talk!!

Dogwood
07-12-2015, 17:47
The SHOW is constructed in such a way that it would go against my survival instinct on some occasions to move out of harm's way hiking, rafting, paddling, swimming, etc to a safer or more resource rich environment and not stay put which is what the producers want. It's the same scenario on ALONE. If conditions allow that the odds of removing myself to safer surrounds are high I certainly wouldn't be hanging around basically stationary for wks at a time. That scenario makes for filming the SHOW much more difficult though.

Obvious to me, some(many?) of those survival resumes of the SHOW'S "reality stars" are obviously padded AND the scenarios depicted are not as they are. Some of the "stars" have very narrow knowledge and/or little to no extensive practical hands on experience doing some of the most basic survival tasks such as starting a fire, purifying water or knowing where to capture drinking water to lower the risks of water borne parasites, building shelters appropriate for withstanding conditions over a couple of wks, making protective apparel from available materials(how many of the "stars" never make protective footwear or clothing for example and expose themselves to additional risks as a result?), etc. It certainly seems the "stars" have been informed beforehand where they are going.

Damn Yankee
07-12-2015, 17:59
I like watching that show, if not for any other reason than to see how not to survive. I have seen one girl and one guy who barely lost weight do to there skills, most everyone else, like it's been said either pad the resume or they have the skills but don't know how to put them to use. They may have the skills but lack the ability to adapt them to various ecosystems. Maybe good in the eastern woods but not in the everglades. I still like to watch it. I also like survivor man, dude your screwed and dual survival but don't like the friction and lack of ability to work as a team to get the job done. Adapt and overcome. I don't like Bear Grylls as he does things way to fast and unsafe and I just think he is an idiot.

Damn Yankee
07-12-2015, 18:04
In response to the OP. Yes I'm ready, I would have no problem making 21 days not that I am an expert by any means but, after 20 years in the military, being a backpacker most of my life I don't think I would have a problem. The one item thing is tough. Do they know where there going before hand? If I were going to be in a damp environment, I think a fire starter. If dry environment, I could make fire various ways so, maybe a pot to cook and boil water. Maybe aqua-Mira, maybe a tarp or knife. It's hard to decide unless I knew where I was going.

Damn Yankee
07-12-2015, 18:06
[QUOTE=Dogwood;1987570]The SHOW is constructed in such a way that it would go against my survival instinct on some occasions to move out of harm's way hiking, rafting, paddling, swimming, etc to a safer or more resource rich environment and not stay put which is what the producers want. It's the same scenario on ALONE. If conditions allow that the odds of removing myself to safer surrounds are high I certainly wouldn't be hanging around basically stationary for wks at a time. That scenario makes for filming the SHOW much more difficult though.
I always wondered why they stayed still

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:32
The SHOW is constructed in such a way that it would go against my survival instinct on some occasions to move out of harm's way hiking, rafting, paddling, swimming, etc to a safer or more resource rich environment and not stay put which is what the producers want. It's the same scenario on ALONE. If conditions allow that the odds of removing myself to safer surrounds are high I certainly wouldn't be hanging around basically stationary for wks at a time. That scenario makes for filming the SHOW much more difficult though.

Obvious to me, some(many?) of those survival resumes of the SHOW'S "reality stars" are obviously padded AND the scenarios depicted are not as they are. Some of the "stars" have very narrow knowledge and/or little to no extensive practical hands on experience doing some of the most basic survival tasks such as starting a fire, purifying water or knowing where to capture drinking water to lower the risks of water borne parasites, building shelters appropriate for withstanding conditions over a couple of wks, making protective apparel from available materials(how many of the "stars" never make protective footwear or clothing for example and expose themselves to additional risks as a result?), etc. It certainly seems the "stars" have been informed beforehand where they are going. Exactly!! You're spot on on basically everything you said!

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:34
I like watching that show, if not for any other reason than to see how not to survive. I have seen one girl and one guy who barely lost weight do to there skills, most everyone else, like it's been said either pad the resume or they have the skills but don't know how to put them to use. They may have the skills but lack the ability to adapt them to various ecosystems. Maybe good in the eastern woods but not in the everglades. I still like to watch it. I also like survivor man, dude your screwed and dual survival but don't like the friction and lack of ability to work as a team to get the job done. Adapt and overcome. I don't like Bear Grylls as he does things way to fast and unsafe and I just think he is an idiot. Very true!! It's interesting. Hey B.G has a really good outdoors resume though/definitely has the survival knowledge. And the bottom line is, all these are TV shows.

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:35
In response to the OP. Yes I'm ready, I would have no problem making 21 days not that I am an expert by any means but, after 20 years in the military, being a backpacker most of my life I don't think I would have a problem. The one item thing is tough. Do they know where there going before hand? If I were going to be in a damp environment, I think a fire starter. If dry environment, I could make fire various ways so, maybe a pot to cook and boil water. Maybe aqua-Mira, maybe a tarp or knife. It's hard to decide unless I knew where I was going. Very tough choices and thank you for your time in the military, I am truly grateful! Much respect.

Dogwood
07-12-2015, 19:14
On one of the Naked and Afraid episodes, they mistakenly missed editing out signs of man made civilization(looked to be a resort or small village!) in the far background yet the scenario was that the "stars" were in some remote area. BS.

In the Alone Vancouver Island episode ten "stars"- supposed survival experts - were dropped off at ten different spots on northern Vancouver Island, IMO in close proximity to each other, under the supposed scenario that impassable mountains and/or waterways prevented the "stars" from interacting with each other. One quick look at a Northern Vancouver Island topographical map told me if these ten "stars" possessed survival skills as the SHOW professed they did, they could have, at least some of them, interacted with each other without extreme difficulty. And, if in a true survival situation, while possessing moderate skills, should have been able to extract themselves from the island either unaided or by summoning aid. Sometimes, survival entails making the call to move rather than always sit and wait. Sitting and waiting being confined to a limited location makes for more convenient filming, calling in assistance, and, should need arise, emergency extraction. That's why I always liked how Les Stroud Survivorman was produced as he filmed himself with the additional noteworthy burden of hauling and maintaining his film equipment, no easy task in a solo survival scenario. Les also didn't confine himself on all the episodes for the sake of convenience of filming. Les also had a wit about his situations knowing that survival was as much a mental game as he is a real life honest boots on the ground survivalist not just a "star" with a pretty face. OK he had a harmonica, a good tactic to keep his spirits and mental game up on those solo adventures.

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 19:24
On one of the Naked and Afraid episodes, they mistakenly missed editing out signs of man made civilization(looked to be a resort or small village!) in the far background yet the scenario was that the "stars" were in some remote area. BS.

In the Alone Vancouver Island episode ten "stars"- supposed survival experts - were dropped off at ten different spots on northern Vancouver Island, IMO in close proximity to each other, under the supposed scenario that impassable mountains and/or waterways prevented the "stars" from interacting with each other. One quick look at a Northern Vancouver Island topographical map told me if these ten "stars" possessed survival skills as the SHOW professed they did, they could have, at least some of them, interacted with each other without extreme difficulty. And, if in a true survival situation, while possessing moderate skills, should have been able to extract themselves from the island either unaided or by summoning aid. Sometimes, survival entails making the call to move rather than always sit and wait. Sitting and waiting being confined to a limited location makes for more convenient filming, calling in assistance, and, should need arise, emergency extraction. That's why I always liked how Les Stroud Survivorman was produced as he filmed himself with the additional noteworthy burden of hauling and maintaining his film equipment, no easy task in a solo survival scenario. Les also didn't confine himself on all the episodes for the sake of convenience of filming. Les also had a wit about his situations knowing that survival was as much a mental game as he is a real life honest boots on the ground survivalist not just a "star" with a pretty face. OK he had a harmonica, a good tactic to keep his spirits and mental game up on those solo adventures. Very true about the TV shows! I always enjoyed Les Stroud and Bear Grylls both. They both brought their own unique skill sets to their shows. I actually got an email about the Alone TV show but I never responded because I thought it seemed kind of hokey or something lol

Dogwood
07-12-2015, 19:39
For both shows there are personal interviews and what amounts to as a casting call. Supposedly, by public accounts the Naked and Afraid stars get paid much less than I had thought for being on the show, something around $1250/wk sometimes a bit more. BUT, should you - your "role" - have widespread appeal it could be parlayed into MUCH more $$$ than that! Gryllis has done well for himself. Anyone who names their kids Jesse, Marmaduke and Huckleberry has to have some sense of humor.

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 19:48
For both shows there are personal interviews and what amounts to as a casting call. Supposedly, by public accounts the Naked and Afraid stars get paid much less than I had thought for being on the show, something around $1250/wk sometimes a bit more. BUT, should you - your "role" - have widespread appeal it could be parlayed into MUCH more $$$ than that! Gryllis has done well for himself. Anyone who names their kids Jesse, Marmaduke and Huckleberry has to have some sense of humor. Very true, one episode of Grylls' show Man vs Wild I remember (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoDTn0UU5So) there's the link. Would you ever do something like this? I'm always on the fence when it comes to sky diving.

Dogwood
07-12-2015, 20:11
Very true, one episode of Grylls' show Man vs Wild I remember (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoDTn0UU5So) there's the link. Would you ever do something like this? I'm always on the fence when it comes to sky diving.

This is where we need to acknowledge and heed these various adventure show's disclaimers and warnings. Realize that Bear has extensive parachuting experience. I'm fairly certain that was not the first time he parachuted out of a helicopter. He's also a mountaineer and served in Special Forces. We need to rightly and wisely acknowledge who Bear, Les, etc are, what there experiences are, what there expertise lie, and where ours are!

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 20:26
This is where we need to acknowledge and heed these various adventure show's disclaimers and warnings. Realize that Bear has extensive parachuting experience. I'm fairly certain that was not the first time he parachuted out of a helicopter. He's also a mountaineer and served in Special Forces. We need to rightly and wisely acknowledge who Bear, Les, etc are, what there experiences are, what there expertise lie, and where ours are!
Exactly! Buttttttt my question was, would you do something like that? lol or just sky dive in general?