PDA

View Full Version : Gear Talk: Backpacks!

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 15:59
Hello adventurers, I was just thinking to myself, I wonder what type of backpacks all of you will bring on the AT. So in your opinion what is the perfect model/size of backpack? Let's talk!!

Venchka
07-12-2015, 16:51
Does it have to be used only on the AT?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
07-12-2015, 17:06
Backpack reviews. Lots of them.
http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-gear-product-reviews/

Wayne

Traveler
07-12-2015, 17:52
Given the varied activities and seasons, one pack is a bit limiting. I would probably bring more with me on a winter overnight snowshoeing adventure than I would on a long distance hiking adventure, requiring two different packs there. Perhaps the better question would be what packs do you have for what activities.

CoolBobby
07-12-2015, 18:01
I'm a huge fan of my Osprey Aether 70. Before that it was my DOD issued pack. I'm 6'3" \215 lbs and can't stand little packs, but hey hyoh right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-12-2015, 18:06
The perfect backpack:
The one that fits you.
The one that holds your stuff for the hike you are planning.
The one that fits your budget.
The one that is reasonably lightweight.
The right tool for the job.
As AT Traveler said, might take more than one.
Happy shopping.

Wayne

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:38
http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-gear-product-reviews/

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here. Thank you for the link! Yeah I was kinda thinking for an AT thru hike what would you bring?

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:39
Given the varied activities and seasons, one pack is a bit limiting. I would probably bring more with me on a winter overnight snowshoeing adventure than I would on a long distance hiking adventure, requiring two different packs there. Perhaps the better question would be what packs do you have for what activities. Very true and valid points! Thanks for the response!

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:40
I'm a huge fan of my Osprey Aether 70. Before that it was my DOD issued pack. I'm 6'3" \215 lbs and can't stand little packs, but hey hyoh right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk Yeah I personally feel like I like bigger packs as well. I'm 6'3 and 210. I have a High Sierra Long Trail 90, it's definitely roomy! lol

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 18:41
The perfect backpack:
The one that fits you.
The one that holds your stuff for the hike you are planning.
The one that fits your budget.
The one that is reasonably lightweight.
The right tool for the job.
As AT Traveler said, might take more than one.
Happy shopping.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here. Thank you for the wise words of advice!

nsherry61
07-12-2015, 20:51
At 6'4" and 220 I don't think my body size has much to do with my pack size. I fit my backcountry winter gear and food for five days (just barely) into my Osprey Exos 48. I also us my Exos 48 for some non-winter hiking, but don't come close to filling it up unless I'm carrying more than a week of food. If you are exploring the idea of a hike along the AT, and you can't fit all your gear into a 50 L pack, you are probably carrying more than you need and more than you will want to carry once you figure out how much less you can carry and still be comfortable and safe.

I would suggest that most packs larger than 50 L are, for most experienced people, more for carrying luxury gear into great camping/fishing sights or trips longer than 10 days without resupply or mountaineering where you have lots of extra climbing gear. Hiking trails, especially well developed ones like the AT, don't require much gear to be comfortable and happy if what you are doing is hiking.

mml373
07-12-2015, 21:41
Wow. If you folks are fitting everything you need into a pack less than 50L, I obviously have much to learn...

I use a 58L for most hikes. I have a 65L I was considering for the AT. At 5'10" and 133 pounds, I don't want to go too big in pack size/weight (38 pounds right now, which I can pare to 34 without much effort).

Dochartaigh
07-12-2015, 22:39
If you are exploring the idea of a hike along the AT, and you can't fit all your gear into a 50 L pack, you are probably carrying more than you need and more than you will want to carry once you figure out how much less you can carry and still be comfortable and safe.

I see many people saying things like this all the time (so I’m not picking on you alone nsherry61 ;) but I always try to point out how incorrect this can be for a lot of people out there - even for the minimalist ’ultralight’ crowd.

I’m at 9.5 pounds baseweight for my gear. I use 60 liter packs (Zpacks Arc Blast 60 and Osprey Exos 58), and you know what? I can just BARELY shove my gear + 2 days worth of food (and 2 liters of water) into those packs main compartments. And I mean I’m compressing those dry bags with my down items in them until my hands hurt to get them as small as possible – and usually still have a little trouble getting the top flaps of either pack to close properly.

Sure, if I did things like strap my ~$300 TarpTent to the outside of the pack (which all those lovely sticker bushes and climbing sticker vines by me would love that ;) or do something like strap my nice down quilt in it’s stuff sack to the bottom of my pack – then, and only then, would I have a lot more room inside the pack itself. But those are things I don’t want to do (and will only resort to putting a couple extra days worth of food in the very-delicate outside elastic mesh pocket on these packs to expand their usefulness).

One thing to also note is how packs are commonly deceptive in their sizes. 60 liter packs like I mentioned only really have ~47 liters of capacity in their main compartments. The smaller models of common packs like mine (~48-50 liter) have less than 40 liter capacity in their main compartments. So that being said, unless you’re the type of person who loves tetris - and having to figure out how to fill every single nook and cranny of their pack with the utmost efficiency, you might want to do yourself a favor and get the next size up pack and save yourself that hassle. YMMV though - plenty of people do it. I just don’t know how, or how really minimal their gear has to be to fit in a small pack like that.

Venchka
07-12-2015, 22:53
Thank you for the link! Yeah I was kinda thinking for an AT thru hike what would you bring?

I'm 2" shorter and 12 pounds heavier than you are. Similar size and weight.
What would I use for a thru hike? Good question.
Without spending money for a new pack, I would use my Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack purchased in 1974 and still in production today. The volume is about 60 liters, weight is 2.5 pounds, it fits me like a second skin and has enough room for anything I need to carry. In fact I have trouble filling it up. It's bulletproof. It's paid for. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The Jensen holds a 2 pound 20 deg bag, 4 pound solo bombshelter, NeoAir Xtherm mattress, kitchen, 3 season clothes and room left over for several days food. One potential shortcoming: I'm not sure if I could fit a bear canister inside. I could strap one on the outside. Not the best solution, but workable for places like the Teton Crest Trail.
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/
In the current market, a 2.5 pound pack is heavier than a few and quite a bit lighter than most packs. Did I mention that it is paid for? I would have to spend big bucks to save a few ounces. Money that I would rather spend on a lighter tent.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Good luck with your search.

Wayne

Venchka
07-12-2015, 23:10
Correction:
My size medium Jensen pack is 51 liters. With the external pockets it is 63 liters. That is inline with current thru hiking backpack theory. Apparently I was ahead of the times.

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/jensen-packs/sizing/

Wayne

BenOnAdventures
07-12-2015, 23:52
I'm 2" shorter and 12 pounds heavier than you are. Similar size and weight.
What would I use for a thru hike? Good question.
Without spending money for a new pack, I would use my Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack purchased in 1974 and still in production today. The volume is about 60 liters, weight is 2.5 pounds, it fits me like a second skin and has enough room for anything I need to carry. In fact I have trouble filling it up. It's bulletproof. It's paid for. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The Jensen holds a 2 pound 20 deg bag, 4 pound solo bombshelter, NeoAir Xtherm mattress, kitchen, 3 season clothes and room left over for several days food. One potential shortcoming: I'm not sure if I could fit a bear canister inside. I could strap one on the outside. Not the best solution, but workable for places like the Teton Crest Trail.
http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/
In the current market, a 2.5 pound pack is heavier than a few and quite a bit lighter than most packs. Did I mention that it is paid for? I would have to spend big bucks to save a few ounces. Money that I would rather spend on a lighter tent.
Sorry for being so long winded.
Good luck with your search.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here. It's fine!! I appreciate the longer more detailed answer! Thanks a ton!!

AO2134
07-13-2015, 00:13
I have two packs. I like them both. I have my winter pack, which is the osprey atmos 65. It is a sturdier pack which carries the obviously heavier winter gear. I also use my osprey when I have a long section hike. I also have an REI Flash 62, which is basically my three seasons pack for 1-2 night hikes.

Mountain Wildman
07-13-2015, 00:34
I have a Mystery Ranch Trance XXX, 68 Liters and weighs 4 1/2 lbs. and a Mystery Ranch SATL, 60 Liters and over 5 lbs.
For my Thru-Hike next year I have been looking at a ULA Circuit or ZPacks Arc Haul and have considered a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, Unaweep or Divide 4200 packs.

Studlintsean
07-13-2015, 08:05
I use a ULA Circuit for all seasons (NOVA so winter is not like Winter in the whites)

Latitude918
07-13-2015, 08:46
I use a Granite Gear Crown. It is extremely comfortable, and because of the excellent compression and roll top closure, it is super versatile, handling one to seven nights without a problem.

If the Crown ever craps out on me, I might look into a ULA Ohm or a Circuit. My only issue with the Circuit is the front pocket isn't stretchy, making it kind of a pain to shove gear into when the pack is full.

Venchka
07-13-2015, 10:34
Since one backpack is never enough...
For those times when I have to haul more weight than a human being should be allowed to carry, I own a Dana Design ArcFlex Terraplane. Built in Bozeman, MT before the buyout and ruination of the Dana Design brand.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/dana-design/arcflex-terraplane/

http://bedrockandparadox.com/2013/10/02/how-the-dana-design-arcflex-packs-worked/

Wayne

Vegan Packer
07-14-2015, 13:51
With a ULA Epic (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/epic.htm), you can change the bag without changing the entire pack. I have a 35 and 65 liter bag for mine, and there are others that are available.

Old Hiker
07-14-2015, 14:45
Was going to be my faithful JanSport Klamath 75, but after I submitted it for “repairs”, they decided it couldn’t be repaired and sent me a “new” one. Features changed, not the same, load lifter strap has broken TWICE in about 6 months of 3-4 miles, 3 times per week practice hiking.

Decided to try an Osprey Volt 75 – like it SO much that I bought a second one for a back up. I’m just worried about the outside mesh pockets – will they hold up? Less space on the OUTSIDE, but seems to have about the same INSIDE as my old Klamath.

Another Kevin
07-14-2015, 16:34
I used an ALPS Mountaineering Orizaba for a few years. Don't laugh. I got it for maybe $60 at an REI garage sale. It held my gear and didn't carry all that badly.

The big drawback was that it had a lot of compression straps and lacings, which are nice for doing things like hanging snowshoes, ice axe, crampon bag, extra sleeping pad, etc... so this might still be my pack of choice in the winter. But for the rest of the year, I've now switched to a Granite Gear Crown VC.

I rather like the design of what Colin Fletcher called a 'bloody great sack.' Organization features (front loading zipper, sleeping bag compartment, lots of pockets, and so on) all add weight without really adding a lot of function.

About 60 litres is the right size for me for up to 4-5 day trips. (And what is a thru-hike but a series of 4-5 day trips, plus the Hundred-Mile Wilderness?) I don't like over-compressing my gear, and I carry a few luxury items. The only thing that goes in a compression sack is my sleeping bag.

I can also see making the Crown work with a bear canister, and I think I see a bear canister in my future. (I've got some destinations in mind where the law requires them.)

It sure was nice, switching to the lighter pack.

TearDrop1776
07-19-2015, 00:41
I used the Gregory Z65 last year...It is a great pack...$240....I am gonna get it again this year.

HappyFiggy
08-03-2015, 03:52
GoLite Quest 50L (down from a 65L) weighs in at just over 2 pounds.

Heliotrope
08-03-2015, 20:30
Like many have said before on other posts, only with experience will you discover what you truly want and need to make you happy on the trail. Then again if you are planning on thru hiking next year you need to pick something. I am a big fan of gossamer gear packs, the mariposa is 60 L. If you are a smaller person it is my opinion you may want to lighten your gear choices. I carry a base weight of 9.5 lbs and can fit it all plus a weeks worth of food at 2lb/day into my gossamer gear gorilla which is 40L. I use a 900 fill down quilt which compresses very small. With a bulkier synthetic bag I would have to move up to the mariposa. I know how much total pack weight I can carry comfortably and that is about 28 lbs. With 20 lbs I start cruising. I also really love having mesh pockets on the sides and back for easy access of water, filter, snacks, etc.. Have fun deciding!

jbmundy87
08-07-2015, 07:39
I just finished making a Ray Way pack. My pack weight for the colder months is right around 10 lbs before food, water and other consumables. I am planning on starting with this pack but I also have a mountain hardware thru way 50 that I have taken on a few overnights and it seems to work pretty well for my needs. Worst case scenario if neither of those work I have my osprey stratos 40 to fall back on which I have been hiking with for a few years.
The Ray Way pack has no frame and no waist belt but only weighs 9.5 oz, the thru way 50 has a waist belt and a pad for a frame and weighs 2lbs, the stratos 40 has a waist belt and a decent frame and weighs 3lb.
So far with right around 20 lbs in the Ray Way pack it feels pretty comfortable, so I have high hopes for it.

Heliotrope
08-07-2015, 10:01
I just finished making a Ray Way pack. My pack weight for the colder months is right around 10 lbs before food, water and other consumables. I am planning on starting with this pack but I also have a mountain hardware thru way 50 that I have taken on a few overnights and it seems to work pretty well for my needs. Worst case scenario if neither of those work I have my osprey stratos 40 to fall back on which I have been hiking with for a few years.
The Ray Way pack has no frame and no waist belt but only weighs 9.5 oz, the thru way 50 has a waist belt and a pad for a frame and weighs 2lbs, the stratos 40 has a waist belt and a decent frame and weighs 3lb.
So far with right around 20 lbs in the Ray Way pack it feels pretty comfortable, so I have high hopes for it.

I used a ray way pack for the 100 mw. I carried 9 days of food and started with a 34 lb total pack weight. It was a reasonable weight to carry but for me too much in such a pack without hip belt. Once I ate my way down to about 25 lbs I started to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yecart
08-07-2015, 16:09
I have over the course of the last 9 months purchased three different backpacks to test and compare. I'm female with a short torso and hips so I really want to get the right fit of something that will essentially become a part of me for 5-6 months. I have the Osprey Exos 48, the ULA Circuit Medium and the REI Flash (I think this is the model). All are lightweight and there is something about each of them that I like more than the others. As well, there is something about each I don't like at all. That said, each day I choose a different one to carry with 15-25 pounds of weights and/or gear for a 90 minute average hike. Right now, I'm just getting a feel for the packs before adding more weight for conditioning. Just this week I've decided against the Circuit. It's a great pack with a hip belt that can be moved up and down the pack. I thought I would love this, but it turns out it didn't make as great a difference for me as I thought. I love the material and its light weight, but it has less padding on the shoulder straps and just isn't as comfortable for me as the others. I will be selling it and deciding between the other two. Right now I'm leaning toward the Exos. The material is a little less durable -- or so it seems, I haven't truly tested it on an overnighter yet-- than the others, but the fact that air can move between your back and the pack is fantastic and it's comfortable. Last night I was tooling around with 25 pounds and it was like nothing was there. The pack has developed a squeak which is driving me nuts but I think it's because of an uneven load distribution (ie, weights). At least I'm hoping. If I can't fix the squeak, this pack may become second to the REI Flash. My thoughts on the REI pack is that it's of durable material and I like its design the best. Still, it isn't as comfortable for me to carry as the Osprey.

jbmundy87
08-10-2015, 14:22
I used a ray way pack for the 100 mw. I carried 9 days of food and started with a 34 lb total pack weight. It was a reasonable weight to carry but for me too much in such a pack without hip belt. Once I ate my way down to about 25 lbs I started to cruise.

That is good to hear. I am hoping that my pack never goes over 25 lbs, and is under 20 other than a day or two after a resupply. I am still planning a couple shakedown hikes to test it.

Heliotrope
08-10-2015, 18:46
That is good to hear. I am hoping that my pack never goes over 25 lbs, and is under 20 other than a day or two after a resupply. I am still planning a couple shakedown hikes to test it.

That's a good target. What kind of sleeping bag are you carrying?

jbmundy87
08-11-2015, 10:40
That's a good target. What kind of sleeping bag are you carrying?

REI Igneo for cold and kelty cosmic 40 for warm, both around 2 lbs. I was planning on just using the igneo the whole time but found the kelty at an rei garage sale for $30.

Heliotrope
08-11-2015, 21:29
Are those down bags and if not will they compress enough to fit in your ray way pack?

Gry
08-13-2015, 14:58
The circuit was perfect for me on the AT. Starting inexperienced I had it packed with 38lbs at Neels, carried 11lb base at the end. Tried carting my Ohm instead but switched back to the circuit. Saw plenty of them on the trail and heard nothing but great reviews!

Kenai
08-13-2015, 20:34
Great backpack review link. Thanks.

Kenai
08-13-2015, 20:50
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png
http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-...oduct-reviews/ (http://sectionhiker.com/backpacking-gear-product-reviews/)

Wayne

Great link for backpack reviews, thanks Venchka.

lemon b
08-14-2015, 15:58
A ULA or Osprey. Last few years mines been an Osprey Altmos 65 Medium. Some would think this too large. However, I've never been one to resupply every 4 days. Often I go out for 10. Never heard anything bad about the ULA Circut. In my experience I find purchasing a pack from an experience outfitter makes a huge difference. That way one can get everything sized out with a fully loaded pack. Good outfitters will also offer experience on where to place equipment within the pack. What to do with a wet shelter etc etc. Footgear and my backpack are two things I wouldn't dream of buying over the internet or in a big box store.

jbmundy87
08-19-2015, 07:44
Are those down bags and if not will they compress enough to fit in your ray way pack?

they are both down. I can fit them and my underquilt in there with plenty of room for food and clothes.

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2015, 08:04
ULA Circuit - Arcteryx Altra 65 - Osprey Hornet 40 - Gregory Contour 60

Heliotrope
08-21-2015, 07:41
they are both down. I can fit them and my underquilt in there with plenty of room for food and clothes.

I ask because my synthetic quilt is too bulky for my 2200 cu in my ray way pack. But it fits in my 2800. I have to carry compressible down for my 2200.,

Casey & Gina
08-21-2015, 08:08
I have a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. Mainly because my wife got a Deuter Kid Comfort III and I decided to try the same brand. We may have both gotten larger models than required, though...

jbmundy87
08-21-2015, 12:32
I ask because my synthetic quilt is too bulky for my 2200 cu in my ray way pack. But it fits in my 2800. I have to carry compressible down for my 2200.,

Try to find an rei garage sale. I picked up the kelty cosmic down 40 for $38 and they had an igneo for $99 which is normally closer to $300. Down saves a good bit of weight and pack room, it is also supposed to last longer but I haven't owned anything down for more than a season yet (but its all still good).

heckyesnugent
08-26-2015, 22:08
I have a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. Mainly because my wife got a Deuter Kid Comfort III and I decided to try the same brand. We may have both gotten larger models than required, though...

If you enjoy your Deuter pack the 50+10 will be on sale at REI starting Friday. I'm not sure what size you were planning on but that is more reasonable.

Casey & Gina
08-26-2015, 23:32
If you enjoy your Deuter pack the 50+10 will be on sale at REI starting Friday. I'm not sure what size you were planning on but that is more reasonable.
Do you reckon that is enough space for gear for 2 people for a thru hike including food as necessary? I looked at at REI a couple days ago and wasn't sure, although the 65+10 was generally an abundance of space except when I had too much extra food/weight.

mml373
08-27-2015, 19:32
Hello adventurers, I was just thinking to myself, I wonder what type of backpacks all of you will bring on the AT. So in your opinion what is the perfect model/size of backpack? Let's talk!!

I have an Osprey Atmos 65 AG EX (small) for when I backpack with the kids... Love it...very comfy. I have an Exos 58 (medium) for solo hikes...and it is the one I plan to bring on the Trail. I'm learning to cut back on what I bring...finally think I can make the whole AT with the Exos.

Sethern
08-28-2015, 00:42
Can't go wrong the ULA Circuit. It has been good to me.

heckyesnugent
08-29-2015, 11:52
Do you reckon that is enough space for gear for 2 people for a thru hike including food as necessary? I looked at at REI a couple days ago and wasn't sure, although the 65+10 was generally an abundance of space except when I had too much extra food/weight.

I think that would depend on how much she was planning on carrying...

Casey & Gina
08-29-2015, 12:47
I think that would depend on how much she was planning on carrying...

She will be carrying a baby and related necessities, so I'll be carrying the rest.

heckyesnugent
08-30-2015, 12:10
She will be carrying a baby and related necessities, so I'll be carrying the rest.I would go with the 65+10 then.. you may need the extra space for twice the food and the like. You don't want a backpack that doesn't fit the things you need. Especially if you are carrying for 2.