PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks - Finding the Right One Is Giving Me Fits!

mml373
07-12-2015, 18:11
I have an Osprey Exos 58 (size medium) that I've been using for overnight trips lately, but have been struggling to decide what size to buy in the next version up (I'm looking at an Atmos AG 65 for overnight trips with my children, where I carry some of their gear).

My Exos left the upper part of my bum sore last time I hiked. Not sure if, perhaps, that is because Medium is too big for my back (I measured out at 18.5", which puts me in either a Small or a Medium pack). As a result, I tried the size Small in the Atmos 65 AG.

Loaded, it feels as though the weight of the pack is pulling me backwards with the Atmos. I do not have this sensation with the Exos, loaded the same way with the same stuff. The Atmos is adjustable, and is at the limit of its ability to adjust (up and down) and does not feel flush against my back (it did while in the store). I'll play with the adjustments a bit, but appreciate any thoughts folks may have.

I've been wondering if I should take a larger pack for the A.T. than 58 liters, so the jury's not out concerning the possibility of using the Atmos 65L pack for my thru-hike. Things I like about the Atmos are its more substantial hip straps and overall feel, which I think may yield better durability on the trail. I also like that I have 4 to 7 more liters capacity on the trail...if I need it.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies. ...and I thought selecting a pack would be the easy part...

mml373
07-12-2015, 18:32
Of course, I re-loaded and shuffled some things around, and she feels a bit better now... Still dealing with the sizing issue between whether to ultimately select Small or Medium.

cjayflo
07-15-2015, 10:48
I too seem to bounce between sizes. Try out a Deuter act lite. I found it easier to dial in than Osprey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Walkintom
07-15-2015, 11:20
Or if you really just love Osprey, try the Volt/Viva packs. Adjustable length torso...

mml373
07-18-2015, 17:20
Thank you guys. I was finally able to resolve the issues with the small Atmos 65 AG I tried and it feels fine. I do think, though, that the Exos or a Volt will be my thru-hike pack. Exos feels really good but I need pare some weight down and try another overnight/multiday hike with it. The Atmos is OK for hikes where I bring the kids along and therefore carry more stuff.