PDA

View Full Version : re supply points?

onicoe
11-21-2005, 16:34
i'm having the hardest time finding this so maybe i was imagining it all, but isn't there a thread somewhere on here that had a listing of towns that were about 5 miles or so from the trail. basically places you didn't have to hike too far off-trail in order to reach?

Hikes in Rain
11-21-2005, 16:54
Under the Articles link (I had to hunt for it, too!):

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=content

chris
11-21-2005, 18:16
I seem to recall writing something about towns that are so close to the AT that you don't have to hitch. Many others added places that were not included in my list. But, I can't remember the name of the article. Roughly speaking, to get to Manchester VT without much hitching, resupply at:

Walasi-Yi (on trail, ok selection)

NOC (on trail, ok selection to get to Fontana)

Fontana Dam (3 mile(?) walk or easy hitch, either ok or terrible, can send box)

Hot Springs (on trail, several minor stores, easy)

Erwin (Uncle Johnny's is on trail, but you'll need to send a box, or quick walk/hitch into town where you can buy)

Damascus (on trail, big store)

Atkins/I-81 (on trail, reasonable gas station)

Pearisburg (1 mile off trail, big grocery store)

Troutville (store about a mile off trail. Better options at a closer part of the interchange)

Waynesboro (lots of big stores, a few miles off trail, easy hitch)

Shenandoah (lots of camp stores on or near trail to buy at)

Harpers Ferry (7-11 about 2 miles out, outfitters, and hostel will work)

Boiling Springs (on trail, good gas stations)

Duncannon (on trail, big store)

Port Clinton (on trail, need to send a box or hitch down the road)

DWG (more or less on trail, several gas stations)

Unionville (less than a mile off, good store - they only take cash, but have an ATM)

NY22 (about a mile off, convenience store next to pizza joint)

Kent (a mile or so off, big store)

Great Barrington (definite hitch, I'd skip. Big store)

Dalton (on trail, gas stations)

Williamstown (a mile off there is a big store)

Manchester Center (about a 3 mile easy hitch, big store)

Jack Tarlin
11-21-2005, 19:21
There's extensive information on Food and Re-Supply in the "Articles" section of this website that you might find useful.

Also, the two principal Thru-hiking guidebooks, The Thru-Hiker's Companion, and the Thru-Hiker's Handbook have extensive information on this subject. You can examine the 2005 Companion for free at www.aldha.org, tho the 2006 edition, which will be available for sale in a few months, will contain much more material, including mileage and distance information.

onicoe
11-21-2005, 19:58
i knew i could count on you guys! thanks alot [:

Brock
11-22-2005, 11:43
There's extensive information on Food and Re-Supply in the "Articles" section of this website that you might find useful.

Also, the two principal Thru-hiking guidebooks, The Thru-Hiker's Companion, and the Thru-Hiker's Handbook have extensive information on this subject. You can examine the 2005 Companion for free at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org), tho the 2006 edition, which will be available for sale in a few months, will contain much more material, including mileage and distance information.

You may not want to follow Jack's advice, he doesn't know much about the AT. ;)