PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica...orange suits.

David S.
11-21-2005, 19:44
At the end of the movie, "March of the Penguins" during the credits, they show clips of the film makers filming. They are wearing these orange suits which to me don't look to be extremely warm. Does anyone know what these suites are made of? How warm are they? Where can I get me one if they are warm? And can I have a color other than orange?;)

Seriously, I don't want one of these suites, I'm just curious why people that go down there seem to end up wearing these things. They look odd to me.

saimyoji
11-21-2005, 19:50
Is this kind of what it looked like?

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=65139F

Bjorkin
11-21-2005, 19:58
I believe they call those "Mustang suits" as seen here:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=286

Made with....drum roll please.....closed-cell foam! for insulation and floating properties.

Steve W
11-22-2005, 14:00
I have not seen that movie so I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about, but if they are the ones that Saimyoji linked to, they are very warm. I've used them for ice rescues. I was submerged in frozen lakes at sub-zero temperatures and I was as comfortable as I am right now. They are not very comfortable for walking around in though. I would not want to wear one for an extended period of time while trying to move around on land.
Steve

sherrill
11-22-2005, 14:55
We wore those (or something very close) in Alaska whitewater rafting. At the end of the trip, me and the guide got in the 35 degree water. Was not cold at all, in fact, stayed in the water til landfall.

weary
11-22-2005, 15:04
At the end of the movie, "March of the Penguins" during the credits, they show clips of the film makers filming. They are wearing these orange suits which to me don't look to be extremely warm. Does anyone know what these suites are made of? How warm are they? Where can I get me one if they are warm? And can I have a color other than orange?;)

Seriously, I don't want one of these suites, I'm just curious why people that go down there seem to end up wearing these things. They look odd to me.
Such suits are not suitable for hiking -- even in the coldest temperatures. They are designed for sedentary people in the outdoors. Hikers need multiple layers that can be removed or put on depending on the level of exertion -- which changes minute by minute depending on the terrain and winds.

Snowmobilers need similar suits since they sit passively on their machines while zipping through the countryside at fast speeds. Hikers enclosed similarly would be alternatively drenched in sweat or bitterly cold.

Weary

Navigator
11-23-2005, 10:23
In the Navy they were called "Arctic Exposure Suits" We used them in the North Atlantic and in the Arctic. Very toasty warm, but you come out of them soaked in your own sweat if you do any type of physical exertion. coupled with a pair of Artic Boots, the whole package weighs about 50lbs.

Two Speed
11-23-2005, 10:36
Yeah, but no tent required. Find a flat place and stretch out, rain, snow, whatever.:p