PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking CT

Dire Wolf
07-13-2015, 16:21
Hello

I'm planning on hiking the entire CT section in early August. My question is where do i start in CT and where do i end in MA? I'm whiteblazing. Thanks in advance.

tdoczi
07-13-2015, 16:24
Hello

I'm planning on hiking the entire CT section in early August. My question is where do i start in CT and where do i end in MA? I'm whiteblazing. Thanks in advance.

if you want to REALLY make sure you hike all of CT, start at in pawling ny and end at jugg end road in MA. the CT/MA border isnt near any roads and the CT/NY border is crossed by a few feet in either direction several times.

Dire Wolf
07-13-2015, 16:33
Thanks. Where in Pawling, NY, street? And what town is Jugg End Road in? Im being dropped off and picked up by wife. I need to give her directions. Thanks.

Mountain Wildman
07-13-2015, 16:56
I'm heading out tomorrow or Wednesday to do the Ct. section and from what I see on my Guthook app the trail crosses the state line at Hoyt Road, mile 1455.6, so I'm getting dropped off there probably at the parking area and heading to Bear Mountain and getting picked up at either Bunker Hill Road or Mt. Washington Road, both in Salisbury with parking areas from the info I could find. I figured I'd see when I'm out there.
Hopefully someone who knows for sure will reply to your post.

Just Tom
07-13-2015, 16:58
Use this site:

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

You will start at a small parking area on Hoyt Road in Pawling, NY. You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT.

Dire Wolf
07-13-2015, 17:00
Damn you guys are good. Thanks so much!!

Just Tom
07-13-2015, 17:01
I'm heading out tomorrow or Wednesday to do the Ct. section and from what I see on my Guthook app the trail crosses the state line at Hoyt Road, mile 1455.6, so I'm getting dropped off there probably at the parking area and heading to Bear Mountain and getting picked up at either Bunker Hill Road or Mt. Washington Road, both in Salisbury with parking areas from the info I could find. I figured I'd see when I'm out there.
Hopefully someone who knows for sure will reply to your post.

Yes, Mt. Washington Road would be another exit option.

Just Tom
07-13-2015, 17:12
I'm thinking of doing this in September. I'm curious how much time you guys are allocating for an end-to-end?

Mountain Wildman
07-13-2015, 17:20
"You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT."

This is what I was thinking as well, I'll make note of the two trails leading to Rt 41.
Thanks!

Mountain Wildman
07-13-2015, 17:22
I'm planning on at least 10 miles a day since I am just over a calf injury but I will see when I'm out there, I have until the 23rd so more days than I need.

Dire Wolf
07-13-2015, 17:22
I'm giving myself five days. Hoping to do ten miles a day.

Dire Wolf
07-13-2015, 17:28
Thanks and good luck

Mountain Wildman
07-13-2015, 17:32
Thanks and good luck

Thank you, you too.

Just Tom
07-13-2015, 17:39
I was looking at 5 full days and nights ending at the Sages Ravine or Laurel Ridge (MA) for the last night, and then doing that small back-track out to 41 on the 6th morning. If I am able to go deeper into Mass in that time frame then I will.

adamkrz
07-13-2015, 17:48
You could also end by going over Race mountain ( great view ) and down Race brook falls trail to 41, There are tent platforms and water at the race falls campground also.

Just Tom
07-13-2015, 17:53
You could also end by going over Race mountain ( great view ) and down Race brook falls trail to 41, There are tent platforms and water at the race falls campground also.

That looks like good stretch goal for me, thanks :)

Migrating Bird
07-13-2015, 19:39
I hiked the Ct section in April, started at Hoyt Rd. and finished at Sages Ravine, then the Paradise Lane Trail to Undermountian Trail. I started late on Sunday and hike to Ten Mile River and then finished on Friday at mid-day. I had one day that I didn't feel well and only hiked 7 miles.

Sarcasm the elf
07-13-2015, 20:21
If your plan is specifically to hike the Connecticut section, then I would think that getting dropped off at Duell Hollow Road, or Hoyt road in NY would be the better option as NY 22 is almost 7 miles south of the state line crossing.

If you have the time, I would recommend hiking north to Jug end road in MA, not for any practical reasons but because it's a great section. The trail from Lion's head (an outcropping a couple miles south of Bear Mountain in CT), through sages ravine, over Mt. Rade and on to just north of Mt. Everett is someone of the most beautiful hiking in Southern New England. I really hope you hit that section on a nice day so you an enjoy the meandering views.

P.S. Although it's not part of the section you are asking about, I feel the need to also add that the 15 miles of trail North of Jug End road in MA just suck, avoid that part during bug season.

tdoczi
07-13-2015, 23:56
"You don't *have* to end at Jugg End in Mass, you can hike to Sages Ravine to pick up every foot of CT and then back track a tiny bit and come down the Paradise Lane Trail and Undermountain Trail and come out on Rt 41 in Salsbury. CT."

This is what I was thinking as well, I'll make note of the two trails leading to Rt 41.
Thanks!

assuming he is one day going to continue on to the AT in MA i would consider doubling back and spending time hiking on a side trail to be perhaps not the best use of time and energy. ive always personally found it odd (though i know it is commonly done) to try and divide the AT into sections by geopolitical boundaries. makes more sense to do it by mountain ranges or other natural features, in which case, why stop in the middle of the southern taconics?

tdoczi
07-13-2015, 23:58
P.S. Although it's not part of the section you are asking about, I feel the need to also add that the 15 miles of trail North of Jug End road in MA just suck, avoid that part during bug season.

thats kind of how i feel about everything from jug end to cheshire.

Driver8
07-14-2015, 04:50

+1 on this. If you hike as far as Laurel campsite, it's just about equidistant to traverse Race, which has awesome views along its ridge walk and 360-degree views from its summit, then to descent to Undermountain Road via the Race Brook Falls Trail. For extra fun, at the big upper falls, which the trail crosses right under after a steep switchback, hug along the brook's south bank and take in 5-6 beautiful waterfalls on one branch of the trail. The branch is steeper and more treacherous, but doable with care, and the payoff of pretty waterfalls, up-close and personal, is high, with the tallest and mot spectacular fall coming last on descent.

Either way, with continued descent on either branch of the trail, you'll end up at the trailhead on Rt. 41/U'mtn Rd. a few miles north of the CT/MA border in Sheffield, near Great Barrington and Salisbury. Great place to start or to finish a hike.

Driver8
07-14-2015, 04:58
I meant to say, equidistant to traverse Race and descend Race Brook Falls as it would be to double back south to Paradise Lane Trail and descend via it and Undermountain. I love the Undermountain Trail as do most CT hikers who visit it to climb Bear Mountain, but Race Brook Falls is a rare and special treat. I second tdoczi's point that, moreover, why backtrack when there's pretty new ground to cover for the same effort.

One last thing, definitely follow Bear Rock Stream, near Laurel campsite, a 150 easy feet downstream from the AT crossing and check out the mighty Bear Rock Falls. The top part of its approximately 300 feet can be seen from atop the cliffs nearby, plus a fine view of the valley, too.

linus72
07-14-2015, 13:19
just finished CT. if you park on Hoyt RD vs the bigger lot on Rt 55 you are actually at the state line and can start there but there's less parking (though i've done this lot as a starting point on a solo overnight into NY as well and didn't have any issues getting a spot). then you can as said above, and as we did, stay in sages ravine and then take paradise lane trail out the next morning. one thing to note is while sages IS actually in Mass, and you've technically finished CT, the state line marker is misplaced and is .5 farther along the ravine from the campsite if you're staying there. if you're like me and need a picture of the sign and to check off the whole 'official' section, its a pretty slackpack to the sign once you're set up at camp.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2015, 13:36
I meant to say, equidistant to traverse Race and descend Race Brook Falls as it would be to double back south to Paradise Lane Trail and descend via it and Undermountain. I love the Undermountain Trail as do most CT hikers who visit it to climb Bear Mountain, but Race Brook Falls is a rare and special treat. I second tdoczi's point that, moreover, why backtrack when there's pretty new ground to cover for the same effort.

One last thing, definitely follow Bear Rock Stream, near Laurel campsite, a 150 easy feet downstream from the AT crossing and check out the mighty Bear Rock Falls. The top part of its approximately 300 feet can be seen from atop the cliffs nearby, plus a fine view of the valley, too.

Yeah, Racebrook falls trail is fun. :D

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2015, 13:38
just finished CT. if you park on Hoyt RD vs the bigger lot on Rt 55 you are actually at the state line and can start there but there's less parking (though i've done this lot as a starting point on a solo overnight into NY as well and didn't have any issues getting a spot). then you can as said above, and as we did, stay in sages ravine and then take paradise lane trail out the next morning. one thing to note is while sages IS actually in Mass, and you've technically finished CT, the state line marker is misplaced and is .5 farther along the ravine from the campsite if you're staying there. if you're like me and need a picture of the sign and to check off the whole 'official' section, its a pretty slackpack to the sign once you're set up at camp.

Linus, how is the water situation up there? I just heard today that Harriman park in NY is mostly dry.

linus72
07-14-2015, 19:11
i did it in sections along with about half of ny to date - last CT section i did was salisbury to sages and water was plentiful - that was mid june. i was just up with my family on the section in cornwall via pine knob loop from the campground and hatch brook was raging too. the smaller streams had less but its been very good water this year compared to when we did the first half last year and all the smaller spots - sharon mtn and the falls on the limestone spring blue blaze were completely dry among a few others. its pouring in western CT so that should help any dry spots. i've read harriman is often dry. i think its more of a geological issue there - less of these mountain streams that flow down - but don't quote me on that cause im still working on putnam county. by the time i get to harriman it will be oct and plenty wet!

linus72
07-14-2015, 19:13
sorry i think i rambled a bit there. to clarify i did most of CT last summer/fall and just finished the top of CT into mass last month and have been otherwise working on NY sobo from CT line. hoping to make it somewhere into harriman by late fall but i havent had a problem with water yet this year in CT or NY. been plenty rainy.

NEHikingNewbie
07-16-2015, 01:26
Linus, how is the water situation up there? I just heard today that Harriman park in NY is mostly dry.

I was just hiking the northern most section of the CT section last weekend from Salisbury north and can confirm that the water sources north of Lion's Head are all flowing well as well as Race Brook in MA should you end up going that far as a way to get out without backtracking.

Dire Wolf
08-01-2015, 16:15
Heading out tomorrow!

Mountain Wildman
08-01-2015, 19:13
Heading out tomorrow!

Enjoy!!
The 1000 foot ascent soon after leaving Hoyt Road is fun!

Dire Wolf
08-07-2015, 19:49
I was overwhelmed by the AT. I under estimated difficulty of the terrain. It was grueling, physical and mental torture. Over four days I hiked from the NYCT border at Hoyt to belter's campsite back to Sharon Mt road which is really Mt Easter. I'm extremely proud of my accomplishment since I was solo, only slept in a tent once in the backyard. I also met some very cool hikers who encouraged me along the way. Thur-hikers from VA Jimi and Christy and my man Jim the Retired Firefighter from NY. Go Sox,! I'm glad to be home but I do miss those mountains. No one can take the 30 plus miles of the AT away from me. I thank my wife for putting up with my mid life crisis. Landon

Driver8
08-07-2015, 20:43
I was overwhelmed by the AT. I under estimated difficulty of the terrain. It was grueling, physical and mental torture. Over four days I hiked from the NYCT border at Hoyt to belter's campsite back to Sharon Mt road which is really Mt Easter. I'm extremely proud of my accomplishment since I was solo, only slept in a tent once in the backyard. I also met some very cool hikers who encouraged me along the way. Thur-hikers from VA Jimi and Christy and my man Jim the Retired Firefighter from NY. Go Sox,! I'm glad to be home but I do miss those mountains. No one can take the 30 plus miles of the AT away from me. I thank my wife for putting up with my mid life crisis. Landon

Good for you, Wolf! Do you get out and hike Mts. Tom and Holyoke much? Love the views and rock formations up there.

Dire Wolf
08-07-2015, 21:09
Driver8
i actually felt compelled to hike Mt.Tom today. Just up and down with no weight, less than 40 minutes.

Driver8
08-07-2015, 21:25
Such a beauty, that one. I love the two mile cliff walk, and the climb up from the south is gorgeous, esp the last couple hundred yards.