PDA

View Full Version : Virginia section advice

X-Pat
07-13-2015, 18:32
Hi, long-time lurker - 1st time poster here.

My son (14) and I are planning a 2-week hike from Spy Rock NOBO (as far as we can get) in August. Since we have never done an extended hike like that, I can only guess a daily mileage of about 10-12, which leaves me somewhat uncertain about camping locations. I'm not worried about the SNP, since we have done some hiking there and are familiar with the options regulations there. How about from Spy Rock to Rockfish Gap?
Also, any other advice re. resupply, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bigcranky
07-13-2015, 18:59
That's a nice section, with some solid climbs northbound. I'd resupply in Waynesboro (seriously don't miss the Chinese buffet, and it's trivially easy to get a ride into town). That's maybe 4 days from your starting point, so it's convenient. Then you hit the southern section of SNP - note that water can be an issue, especially in late summer -- it's usually reliable at the shelters, but they average about 13 miles apart. I knew this and still ran out one very hot day. In SNP make sure you stop at Loft Mountain camp store for ice cream and cold drinks (ahem: beer!), then grab a meal at Loft Mountain Wayside. There are almost always decent tent sites near the "huts" (shelters) in the park. As you work your way north, there are more developed areas like picnic sites and waysides with good water, and it's easy to get rid of trash, etc. We liked Big Meadows a lot, and spent a night in an historic cabin at Skyland. Yeah, wilderness it ain't, but it's a lot of fun to hike through the park.

Edit: as for camping locations in general, the guidebooks have pretty good info on campsites along the trail. If you have a recent iPhone, the Guthook App for the AT is pretty sweet in terms of knowing where you are (the maps are pre-downloaded so you can keep it on airplane mode and still use the GPS).

Monkeyboy42
07-13-2015, 20:49
The shelters are supposed to be 10 miles apart, but I found that it's a little farther. I only noticed because we go out with our 5 year old, and every little bit matters to me.
The SNP PATC app is pretty great and easily accessible. We'll be in the park the same time. Love it there.

X-Pat
07-13-2015, 20:55
Thanks Big Cranky. I had planned to resupply and maybe stay in Waynesboro for a night. We will definitely check out the Chinese buffet.

X-Pat
07-13-2015, 21:03
The shelters are supposed to be 10 miles apart, but I found that it's a little farther. I only noticed because we go out with our 5 year old, and every little bit matters to me.
The SNP PATC app is pretty great and easily accessible. We'll be in the park the same time. Love it there.

We've done some 2 and 3-nighters in SNP and never had issues with camping there, but the area south of Rockfish Gap is new to us. I'm still trying to figure out camping options between Maupin Field Shelter and Waynesboro.

scudder
07-14-2015, 00:10
There are several dry campsites on Humpback Mt. There's one on a rock ledge that's especially nice, due to the big view. Tank up at Dripping Rock or Laurel Springs. There's room for a tent at Glass Hollow Overlook, a little before Paul Wolfe shelter -which is a palace.

bigcranky
07-14-2015, 08:19
There's a nice campsite with water when you cross the BRP just before the climb of Humpback. The water is a spring right on the parkway, and there is a turnout for cars to park. Walk up the trail maybe 100 yards and there are some obvious campsites. I hammocked there once.

There is also the shelter 5 miles before Rockfish Gap. That's too far from Maupin Field for a single day, but it gives you an option if you need it.

X-Pat
07-14-2015, 12:22
Great. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks for your help.