PDA

View Full Version : I never seem to see much about the Squall 2

Just Tom
07-14-2015, 09:36
So I'm on a quest to get down to a single one-man super light tent, a single two-man tent for time backpacking with my son (and perhaps for a bit more room when I know the weather will be terrible and I'll be stuck inside), and a two-man 4 season tent for myself and occasionally my son, though the winter camping is often less backpacking oriented.

In looking at the two-man option and some of the Tarptent models, I saw a lot of mention of the Double Rainbow from users and reviewers. But the Squall 2 is the lightest two-person tent in that line-up, so I was surprised to see hardly any mention of this tent.

Anyone have any experience on this tent, or advise to go in another direction?

Thanks as always!

Don H
07-14-2015, 09:49
My son's Scout Troop uses them for backpacking. No problems.
Henry Shires is a good guy to deal with, great customer service. I've spoke with him personally a few times when I had questions about my Rainbow.

Deadeye
07-14-2015, 11:14
I have the original Squall, love it. Very roomy for use as a one-man tent, and weighs in at 34 ounces. Squall 2 seems like good improvements (tub floor, more vestibule more head room) for no extra weight.

Jordan's Dad
07-14-2015, 11:22
I had the original Squall, and I own a Squall 2, which will be my tent on my AT hike next year. Both excellent products. I had a stitch pull a tiny hole right at the crown of the tent in the Squall after several years of regular use, which is why I replaced it. Henry would probably have fixed it, had I asked instead of just replacing it. As far as the Squall 2 goes, the "vestibule" closure at the front doesn't work as well as on the Squall in my opinion, but that is a minor quibble on my part. Still gets the job done, and is far roomier and lighter than any name-brand tent I've tried in that price range.

Just Tom
07-14-2015, 11:36
I don't suppose you have any pictures you'd like to share :) I'm curious about sitting up space and vestibule space.

John B
07-14-2015, 12:59
This is my Squall. I didn't care for it much so I got the Rainbow instead. My biggest complaint was having to do a front snap forward roll or other similar gymnastics moves to get in/out of the tent. I also wanted more interior space.

Deadeye
07-14-2015, 14:42
This is my Squall. I didn't care for it much so I got the Rainbow instead. My biggest complaint was having to do a front snap forward roll or other similar gymnastics moves to get in/out of the tent. I also wanted more interior space.

Same here (though I haven't got a Rainbow yet) - I'm not as flexible as I once was, hence the move to hammocking.

Deadeye
07-14-2015, 14:47
I still like, and use my Squall, it's the gymnastic entry and exit part I don't like. I just had it out last month in a very heavy t-storm. It does its job of keeping me dry and unmolested by bugs.

Just Tom
07-14-2015, 14:54

It doesn't look like the cross bar is in that picture?

bigcranky
07-14-2015, 15:28
There's not much in the way of headroom or sitting up room in either Squall, especially with two people in the tent. Having used most of the Tarptent brand and tarptent-like shelters, I no longer own any with the door at the head. I'll pay the small weight penalty for side doors and large vestibules.

That said, it's a well made shelter and pretty light.

Malto
07-14-2015, 16:35
You probably don't see much about Squalls since it is a two person shelter and most long distance hikers use single person shelters. I have had a Squall for ten years and only use it when hiking with one of my kids. A perfectly good two person lightweight compact shelter.

John B
07-14-2015, 19:52
The crossbar is on the new, improved version. Mine is the original Squall, so the hiking pole (or tent pole if you want to carry it) is right in the center. In regard to it being a 2-person tent, I guess you could fit another person in it, but if I'm in there, the only person I'd want that close to me is Jennifer Anniston. I mean, you gotta be really good pals with someone sharing a space that small.

Venchka
07-14-2015, 21:01
At the same weight and price as the Rainbow, the Squall 2 is substantially larger than the Rainbow. Why not use it as a full time solo tent and a 2 person tent whenever the need arises. Put the money you save from only buying one tent for 3 season use toward a winter bomb shelter? Hey!

Wayne

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 07:23
At the same weight and price as the Rainbow, the Squall 2 is substantially larger than the Rainbow.

This is true if you look at square feet, but I think the usable interior space/volume is much better in a Rainbow. Plus, you can fit a second person in a Rainbow if you really like them.

Venchka
07-15-2015, 08:35
The Squall 2 is designed for two people. I've looked at a lot of tents lately. The Squall 2 has more floor space than many tents weighing and costing a lot more.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

RockDoc
07-15-2015, 10:50
You had better be limber in order to get in and out of the Squall 2. And it better not rain real hard.

Just my opinion after using it for the Main AT. I've moved on to better tents.

Just Tom
07-15-2015, 11:06
You had better be limber in order to get in and out of the Squall 2. And it better not rain real hard.

I'm less concerned about the front entry since the tent this would replace is also front entry. But the statement about the rain worries me. Do you feel this tent does not offer adequate rain protection? Does anyone else that posted here have any feedback on the rain-worthiness of the Squall 2?

Wülfgang
07-15-2015, 11:46
I'm less concerned about the front entry since the tent this would replace is also front entry. But the statement about the rain worries me. Do you feel this tent does not offer adequate rain protection? Does anyone else that posted here have any feedback on the rain-worthiness of the Squall 2?

I don't, but I have the same concerns. Looking for an UL tent for my wife and I.

The other one I was looking at was the LightHeart Duo (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents/product/view/6/5)---slightly heavier and more expensive, but seems to be more user-friendly and storm-worthy for 2 people. Unfortunately there aren't many great UL 2-person shelter choices out there. They are either too heavy (big-name brands), too expensive (Z-packs, MLD, etc), or potentially inadequate in some way (Squall 2). The solo tent market is much better.

Jordan's Dad
07-15-2015, 15:21

I used my Squall in some real frog stranglers on the Ozark Trail and in the Rockies, and never got a drop inside. There is no "better tent" if you pay attention to your pitch. Also, I did a five day backcountry trip in Glacier with the original Squall, and had no issues with another person and all our gear inside. I'm not sure where you folks are getting the "too small for two" rhetoric.

I will acknowledge that getting in and out of the two-pole version with the curved zipper is a bit of an exercise, though.

Franco
07-15-2015, 21:09
At TT we have 5 different two-person tents for the very reason that the perfect (for all) tent does not exist .
The Squall offers a good amount of protected space for the weight and it is a bit more affordable than some.

Front entry tents are a bit of a bugbear for some , I'm only 60 so not a problem for me yet.
Set up this way :
the entry point is not all that small at around 50" at the bottom , 18" at the top with 45" in between.

TomN
07-16-2015, 07:34
I have a Squall 2 and like it, usually hammock camp now so have not used it in a while.

Don H
07-16-2015, 08:19
As I mentioned in previous post my son's boy scout troop owns 4 Squall 2s. I go on all the backpacking trips with them and have never heard of a problem with water getting in them. As with any UL tent if it rains hard enough you might get some splashing that gets under the tent but it's really not a problem. In fact my Six Moon Designs Solo which has a huge overhang on all sides still gets some backsplash if it rains hard enough.