PDA

View Full Version : Weekday Hitch to Bailey

Mando12
07-14-2015, 10:11
Greetings! I'm planning to thru the CT in Aug. My AT pace is typically 17-18 mpd. But since I'm coming from North Carolina, and have respect for altitude sickness, I've decided to spend a few days delivering my drop boxes along my route, and then start with a 10mpd pace. It will be convenient for me to resupply in Bailey. According to PMag's list, it is 8 miles on FS-560. He notes that there is "decent amount of traffic on a weekend." For those that know the area, is there enough weekday traffic to hitch??
Thanks!

Wülfgang
07-14-2015, 11:15
Yes, but I wouldn't count on getting a hitch as easily as on the AT. Hwy 285 is busy on weekends but I never see hitchers, and we don't really have the hitching "culture" out here. Not saying you cant try...

colorado_rob
07-14-2015, 11:23
Tough call, but sorry, weekday traffic is pretty sparse on those roads (lots on weekends though, as mags says).

Have people checked out leaving a resupply box at Wellington lake? Not sure how hiker-friendly those folks are, but it's less than 3 miles to there. Then there's the town of Buffalo Creek; it's like 2.5 miles from the trail on a busier road. Not sure of the "drop" situation there either.

Uriah
07-14-2015, 11:26
It's not an easy hitch, and you'll likely be walking much of it or waiting a while. I would say, however, that if your AT pace was 17-18mpd, you'll be able to cover much more ground on a well-designed trail like the CT, in spite of/even with the altitude. 10mpd is an uber-conservative estimate if you're doing 17-18mpd on the demonic AT! Plus, from the north east end of the CT, the altitude isn't quite so abrupt and shouldn't affect you too badly...if you're fit when you start.

For what it's worth, Jefferson is a MUCH easier hitch 72 miles in. A five-day walk, conservatively.

colorado_rob
07-14-2015, 11:31
It's not an easy hitch, and you'll likely be walking much of it or waiting a while. I would say, however, that if your AT pace was 17-18mpd, you'll be able to cover much more ground on a well-designed trail like the CT, in spite of/even with the altitude. 10mpd is an uber-conservative estimate if you're doing 17-18mpd on the demonic AT! Plus, from the north east end of the CT, the altitude isn't quite so abrupt and shouldn't affect you too badly...if you're fit when you start.

For what it's worth, Jefferson is a MUCH easier hitch 72 miles in. A five-day walk, conservatively.Agree 100%. Don't sweat the acclimation thing so much. Just start hiking and resupply at Jefferson.

Mags
07-14-2015, 11:52
Another difference vs the AT, there are no social gathering places. People really don't congregate in the same places on the trail. No shelters to get to early and shoot the breeze with fellow hikers. That, and frequent town stops, is why I think the AT often takes longer vs other trails IMO..but that's another thread.

What does that mean? Even a casual hiker can easily put in 15MPD (assuming a base line of decent shape) without trying. Otherwise you have a lot of camp time by yourself. :)

And in 5 days, you'd be in very easy hitching range of Jefferson as Rob suggested.

Bailey is best if you really need be in town...be it for mental reasons or you are just plain exhausted.

As for Buffalo Creek, they do have a PO..but again, so close to the start/end of trail, probably not worth it for most.

Uriah
07-14-2015, 11:53
Agree 100%. Don't sweat the acclimation thing so much. Just start hiking and resupply at Jefferson.

Because weight is my personal backpacking nemesis, and because the higher-mileage days tend to be easier on me due to the emptier (lighter) load, I always ease into each section of a long-distance hike. So if we're talking 72 miles for five days it might look like this:

Day 1: 10 miles in (West Bear Creek in this case)
Day 2: 13 miles (just past Raleigh Peak Rd)
Day 3: 15 miles (between Rd 5501c & Rolling Cr TH)
Day 4: 16 miles (North Fork Tributary)
Day 5: 18 miles (Kenosha Pass/Jefferson)

Although the mileage looks to increase quickly, the weight (and the terrain) allows for it. To the OP: this mock itinerary is completely doable if you're fit and hydrated (and used to 17-18mpd on the AT!).

Alas, I'll be starting in Durango and won't be afforded such a luxury!

Coffee
07-14-2015, 12:57
I checked my records from 2014 and I was at the road crossing on a Wednesday where I believe I stopped for a 30 minute break. I don't think that I saw any cars. I wouldn't count on hitching any of these small roads. The first place I would consider hitching is Kenosha Pass which has a lot of traffic. I did not resupply until Breckenridge so can't directly comment on hitching in the early segments. I did hitch into Leadville (easy), Poncha Springs (moderate, with difficulty w/ no second hitch to Salida; had to take taxi), Lake City (very difficult), and Silverton (very easy).

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 14:24
I'm a hitch hiking fanatic. I enjoy it on thru-hikes. I'm out to see what I can see, experience all that I can experience. Thru-hikes are also my traveling adventures a way to to experience more of the U.S. My thru-hiking philosophy is that thru-hiking is not just about hiking.

These I've hitched into out of at least 3X:

Buffalo Creek - easy hitch both ways to/from the CT on Deckers Rd(Hwy126) during daylight hrs. lol. I walked into Buffalo Creek one time from the CT on a glorious clear crisp fall full moon CO night at 3 a.m. I guess in hindsight I just wanted to walk on a paved road for some miles. One car passed me. Don't take FS 550. Hitch from Hwy 126! MUCH busier.

Bailey - iffy, could be easy, could be difficult. In my experience not terribly difficult getting a ride into town from where the CT crosses Wellington Lake Rd(Rd 68) during weekends or on a thurs/fri or during leaf peeping season. During summer some vehicles use this road to get to/from Lake Wellington from/to Bailey. There's a very short section of CT walk on maintained graded dirt gravel FS 543H where there's a TH with gravel parking area. Equestrians park here. That's where and from whom I've received rides into Bailey twice. There are a few private residences on Wellington Lake RD too so you could possibly get rides to Bailey back to the CT TH. Biggest issue in my experience is getting back to this CT TH from Bailey. It's a longish somewhat boring hike if you have to walk all the way to this CT TH down Rd 68 from Bailey. I had to do it once.

I would not be inclined to go hitch into Bailey on a weekday along Wellington Lake Rd unless I was prepared to happily accept that I may have to walk all or most of the way back to the CT TH where it crosses the road or I could arrange for a RT hitch somehow. Money often works.

You can also largely trail hike all the way into bailey on the Payne Creek Tr. Not a terrible diversion if you have they time.

Jefferson/Fairplay - from Kenosha Pass easiest hitch into town/back to CT TH at the pass of these 3 options BY FAR. Kenosha Pass is a busy TH for thru and day hikers, campers, mountain bikers, travelers by road, etc. basically year round.

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 14:31
Yes, but I wouldn't count on getting a hitch as easily as on the AT. Hwy 285 is busy on weekends but I never see hitchers, and we don't really have the hitching "culture" out here. Not saying you cant try...

Actually, I've noticed several outdoorsy types, including myself, hitching along HWY 285 between Den and Breck. Saw one dude hitching with his snowboard, another with his skis and boots, and at least three, including myself with backpacks. It can be a narrow shouldered road in places though! It's easy enough with several possible options getting around using public transportation though.

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 14:34
Do yourself a scenic favor of flavor and consider a CT alternate that takes in more of the trails in the Lost Creek Wilderness! Great rec by Mags. He's absolutely right! In that regard, especially IF you wind up doing MPD avgs close to what you anticipate, a resupply at Buffalo Cr makes some sense.

Mando12
07-14-2015, 14:46
Getting some great feedback! Thanks! I want to be cautious about AMS because I'm hiking alone. So I may start slow. I really appreciate the translation between AT miles and CT miles--that helps a lot. Right now I'm planning to resupply at: Breckenridge/Frisco, Twin Lakes, Salida, Lake City, and Silverton (taking Collegiate West). If I start slow, I'll add a resupply at Jefferson. Bummer about the hard hitches to Salida and Lake City, but I think I need those resupplies.

Mags
07-14-2015, 15:02
Coffee's experience is more typical from the past (even though it was 2014...was my experience as well) In recent times, there is a lot more awareness of the CT/CDT in Lake City mainly because of the hostel. May want to contact Lucky at Raven's Rest. There were plans to have a more regular shuttle service as one quick example. Other thru-hikers of the CT/CDT report it to be easier hitching as well.

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 15:12
Salida from Monarch Pass and Lake City from Spring Creek Pass are not definitively hard hitches IF you work your hitch hiking mojo. I've done them several times as well both ways going into town and back to the CT/CDT. Both towns have very good hostels perfect for a nero, zero, or non stressed non gotta go gotta go resupply.

Starting at Waterton AMS shouldn't be a major concern.

Make note of recent changes where to send a box at Twin Lakes- General Store or perhaps, if asking nicely and/or stay a night, the Twin lakes Inn.
A meal and drink at the Twin Lakes Inn can be a real fine dining experience on a CT/CDT thru-hike. It was renovated not long ago. Owners were friendly to this hiker. Seemed welcome of respectful hiker interactions.

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 15:21
I have to stress again the Lost Creek Wilderness alternate to the CT proper. IMHO, it's MUCH more interesting than the CT in the area. Pull up some pics. If you don't than afterwards you'll likely be saying what Mags has been suggesting for awhile taking the more scenic and diverse trails through the LCW. He hasn't been wrong yet when I've taken his advice into consideration and done what he suggested. :)

Coffee
07-14-2015, 17:20
Lake City is a great trail town and I wouldn't want to write anything to discourage a visit. It was probably my favorite stop on the trail. Raven's Rest is a nice hostel and I took a full zero day. Part of my problem may have been that I was still approaching hitching conventionally at the time (just standing at the side of the road with my thumb out) and partly due to the weather (cold and intermittent rain). I did approach a few people at the parking area but the friendly ones were on their way toward Creede. One suggestion I would make is to not send a box to either Creede or Lake City. That way one can hitch in either direction. I could have had a ride to Creede easily on that day. On other days, a ride to Lake City may be easier. I had sent a box to Lake City so I was stuck going in that direction.

Lucky was talking about the trail angel efforts to put in place a daily shuttle. The shuttle didn't arrive on the day I was trying to get in. It is, after all, entirely volunteer based.

I hired a shuttle to get back to the trail. I recall that it cost $30. There are some shuttle drivers posted on the hostel bulletin board.

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 21:57
Let me change this from, "Salida from Monarch Pass and Lake City from Spring Creek Pass are not definitively hard hitches IF you work your hitch hiking mojo" to Salida from Monarch Pass and Lake City from Spring Creek Pass are not definitively hard places to get rides IF you work your getting a ride mojo. Too often, particularly among those new to getting rides or shy about obtaining them, mistakenly assume the only way to get yourself from place to place is by obtaining rides by sticking your thumb out while standing alongside a highway attempting to appeal to speeding by motorists. A full half or more of my rides are not obtained by doing it in that traditional old fashioned hitch hiking approach standing alongside the road with my thumb out. Socializing, making my goals known, playing the give and take game, reducing the unknowns about myself and my intentions, breaking the ice, cordially introducing myself, genuinely getting interested in what others are doing, being honest/genuine myself, explaining myself/ what I'm doing, and, most of all, doing all this appealing to potential rides in face to face communication is how I obtain the majority of my rides. Quite a bit, I have my rides lined up before I get to the TH because I've introduced myself, smiled, broke down many of the barriers to obtaining rides, alleviated the typical fears of picking up riders, and made my goals known while on trail. OFTEN, I don't even have to ask for a ride; it's offered to me without me having to ask! That's the "MOJO" I speak of!

ursaminor
07-14-2015, 21:58
If resupplying in Jefferson, where is a good place to stay? I was thinking of going to Fairplay, more choices in accommodations. Any thoughts on which might be better?

Wülfgang
07-15-2015, 12:08
Jefferson isn't really a "town", it's more of a scattering of houses on the high plains. Fairplay has some decent accommodations. Breckenridge obviously to the west will have the most in the region.

I'm a native here but not a past thru-hiker, PMags and others can give more details.

Wülfgang
07-15-2015, 12:13
Also I will second the good reviews of the LCW. Really cool rock formations, light-moderate traffic, lots of water, and sane altitude. I love it.

colorado_rob
07-15-2015, 13:33
Jefferson isn't really a "town", it's more of a scattering of houses on the high plains. Fairplay has some decent accommodations. Breckenridge obviously to the west will have the most in the region.Yeah, plenty of places to stay in Fairplay, none that I know of in Jefferson... Breck has a ton, but expensive except the Hostel.