PDA

View Full Version : How close to the northern terminus without a high clearance vehicle?

Vaca Fuerte
07-14-2015, 10:35
I'm going to be dropped off at the northern end of the Long Trail for a SOBO hike, but I'm having trouble figuring out from the End-to-Ender's guide exactly how close I can get to the northern terminus without a high clearance vehicle. There's the 1.3 miles on the Journey's End Trail to walk, but how much of the further 1.8 miles on the Journey's End Road am I going to also have to walk? All of it? I'm just trying to figure out whether I need to get dropped off the night before the hike (and stay at the Journey's End Camp) or whether I could be dropped off in the early morning on the first day of my hike.

Slo-go'en
07-14-2015, 10:57
A car should be able to make it up to where the Journey's end trail starts at the road junction. From there to the boarder post will be the easiest hiking you'll have for the next 100 miles :) It's a bit less then 8 miles from the road junction to Shooting star shelter and is a modest hike that shouldn't take more then 4-5 hours to do. The real workout starts the next day.

Just Bill
07-14-2015, 11:06
I got dropped off roughly at the last house on the road... Mile or to JE shelter.
IIRC, the problem isn't so much clearance as no place to turn around, so even if somebody makes the drive they run the risk of having to back all the way out.

It wasn't far, it was an easy hour or so stroll from drop off to border.

That said, for romantic reasons... It might be nice to spend the night and start the trail at sunrise if you have the time.

Deadeye
07-14-2015, 11:11
Sounds about right, a mile or less from end of road to shelter, and I drove in with a Saturn wagon, no problem. I've also been dropped off at Jay Pass, hiked north to the border, and turned around. Works both ways.

Deacon
07-14-2015, 11:27
I stayed at the North Troy B&B, and Sammi the proprietor drove me up the road very close to the Journeys End shelter.
By the way, I highly recommend the North Troy B&B. Sammi makes s great breakfast. (I assume she's still in business)

Vaca Fuerte
07-14-2015, 13:27
Thanks very much, everyone. I think I'll plan to go in in the morning, then. Deacon, I'll definitely take a look at the North Troy B&B, sounds great.

The Kisco Kid
07-14-2015, 13:28
There's a major road crossing about 2 miles south of the border. That's where I got picked up.

Deadeye
07-14-2015, 14:39
There's a major road crossing about 2 miles south of the border. That's where I got picked up.

Yep that's North Jay Pass, route 105

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 14:57
Improved compacted gravel road. No real need, unless it's been raining for several consecutive days, or deeper snow covers the road, to have a 4WD vehicle. There are several residential homes along this road with some of the residents driving 2 WD vehicles in summer.

Check out the Museum in Troy. At one time you could go in one door from one nation and exit a different door into a different nation.

redseal
07-14-2015, 21:02
Excellent info! I had a similar question!

Brvhrt
07-15-2015, 21:11
Last year a Mini Cooper got me within a 5 minute walk of the start of the Journey's End Trail. There was a nice turn around spot at this location.

Canadian_Hiker
09-25-2015, 07:38
Being from Eastern Canada and not having much information on the LT this is one area I have struggled with for awhile. I am planning a thru hike of the LT next year and transportation is going to take the most planning! Thanks for all great info guys!

Canadian_Hiker
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
09-25-2015, 09:37
Last year a Mini Cooper got me within a 5 minute walk of the start of the Journey's End Trail. There was a nice turn around spot at this location.

I managed to get my Mini Cooper up to the Journey's End trail parking lot back in July. Turns out there are two places to park, maybe 1/4 mile apart. I used the first one, don't think I would have made it to the second one. It's pretty much a one lane road, so hope no one is coming the other way...