PDA

View Full Version : I'm definitley using these boots for my AT thru hike! What boots are you using?

BenOnAdventures
07-14-2015, 10:40
Good morning fellow adventurers, boots and footwear are so important for an AT thru hike and I believe that the ALTAI boots are the ones I will be wearing on mine. See my full review on my blog: benonadventures.com as well as my YouTube channel and feel free to subscribe while you're there, it'd be appreciated: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTGMLKb6d7HH-XIb0Gma9tA With all of that in mind, my question to you is: What will be your footwear of choice for the AT? Let's talk!!

Another Kevin
07-14-2015, 14:38
I'm a clueless weekender, not a long-distance hiker, but my backpacking footwear of choice is trail runners. My last couple of pair have been New Balance 610 with green Superfeet insoles. They're not as durable as boots, but they're a heck of a lot lighter and kinder to my feet. Your feet are no doubt different from mine.

(This is for warm weather, of course. They're dodgy with microspikes and totally incompatible with crampons or snowshoes. I use full-leather boots or Sorel pac boots for conditions that might require that stuff.)

BenOnAdventures
07-14-2015, 15:41
Thank you so much for your in depth response I truly appreciate it!

Dogwood
07-14-2015, 16:40
I'm definitley using these boots for my AT thru hike! What boots are you using?
I read this too quick after watching Giada, noticing her gorgeous glimmering smile and, um scrumptious recipes, hearing that she is recently single again. I thought it said something else.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://CC3B938A-0139-4436-BABB-D520B8A66E7D/11-giada-de-laurentiis-gifs-in-honor-of-her-divorce-announcement-image-1.jpg

BenOnAdventures
07-14-2015, 19:31
I'm definitley using these boots for my AT thru hike! What boots are you using?

I read this too quick after watching Giada, noticing her gorgeous glimmering smile and, um scrumptious recipes, hearing that she is recently single again. I thought it said something else.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://CC3B938A-0139-4436-BABB-D520B8A66E7D/11-giada-de-laurentiis-gifs-in-honor-of-her-divorce-announcement-image-1.jpg

Lol oh i see, I hope you had a great day!

RangerZ
07-14-2015, 20:01
Good morning fellow adventurers, boots and footwear are so important for an AT thru hike and I believe that the ALTAI boots are the ones I will be wearing on mine. See my full review on my blog: benonadventures.com as well as my YouTube channel and feel free to subscribe while you're there, it'd be appreciated: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTGMLKb6d7HH-XIb0Gma9tA With all of that in mind, my question to you is: What will be your footwear of choice for the AT? Let's talk!!

Put some miles on them before you definitely do anything, but definitely do something.

Tuckahoe
07-14-2015, 20:16
So I watched a minute long video about how awesome these boots are... but where the heck were the boots? Never saw a glimps of them and never heard which model you are reviewing. There has to be more to it

CCCCAT
07-14-2015, 20:43
Watched the same video, didn't see the boots either!

I hiked for a few weeks on the AT with Vasque Women's Breeze 2.0 GTX, and while they came highly recommended, they just weren't for me. Could never get comfortable in them. Switched to Merrell Siren and like them so much better (and they're about 1 lb. lighter).

Malto
07-14-2015, 20:51
I love your confidence about the boots that you "definitely are going to use." however, I highly recommend that you attempt to wear a pair out prior to a thru hike. Only then will you know whether you should definitely use for a thru hike. Also, there is no way I would ever wear boots on a thru. But, I would have said with all confidence years before my thru that Timberline boots is what I would use. Suggest also try out trail runners on a couple hikes before you definite anything.

Feral Bill
07-14-2015, 21:08
Zero actual facts about the boots. Useless.

Almost zero, and almost useless.

Cobble
07-14-2015, 23:54
Merrell Moab. Amazing shoes with 800-1200 miles in 'em

TD55
07-15-2015, 17:56
Great boots if you like wearing combat boots on your hike.

Slo-go'en
07-15-2015, 23:38
Great boots if you like wearing combat boots on your hike.

I hope Ben was not thinking of the tactical boots, but rather their hiking boots which look to be on par with many other brands of similar style.

The problem with buying hiking footwear is you really don't know how they will work out for you until you get out on the trail and then it's too late if they don't meet expectations. Your stuck with them for better or worse.

Since I mostly hike on rock and often in wet conditions, my choice of footwear are GTX boots with a stiff sole (nylon shank) and minimal toe bend. I also require a narrow shoe. So far Scarpa boots have meet my requirements. I have not been happy with the trail runners I've tried, expect for casual road walking.