PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight sunglasses

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 00:36
So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended. :cool:

nsherry61
07-15-2015, 00:43
I've had the same thought. Not great for the wind, but other than that . . .

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 00:54
I've had the same thought. Not great for the wind, but other than that . . .
yup, mine didn't even have a string, it just kinda unrolled and clamped around/ove my temples...had to keep adjust nose bridge too. But some of the more fanatical weenie UL's may not mind dealing with that, me...I'm bringing my real sunglasses. :D

Venchka
07-15-2015, 09:13
I've used those things before after trips to the retina doc. They worked for driving a few miles to my apartment and semi-darkness.
My only thought: Yes, they are tinted. But do they provide any UV protection for long term use?
In true Uber Gram Weenie tradition, when it came time for new glasses last year I sprang for titanium frames, ultra UV protection, auto darkening lenses with extra polarized/UV protection clip-on lenses. No clue how many grams I saved over my previous 2 pairs of glasses: regular & sunglasses. I'm not that much of a gram weenie.

Wayne

Ktaadn
07-15-2015, 09:32
My Julbo Nomads weigh 0.9oz. I would be interested to hear what Ti glasses weigh.

Dogwood
07-15-2015, 09:58
Yes, but can they be trimmed and how much of an extra wt penalty do I have to absorb if they are tinted? ;)

atraildreamer
07-15-2015, 10:44
So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended. :cool:

I got some of these on the internet for a few bucks. They are designed to be used behind your regular glasses. They are OK for driving, but I would not recommend them for long term use. You can cut them. I think that they have some UV protection.

Venchka
07-15-2015, 13:11
My Julbo Nomads weigh 0.9oz. I would be interested to hear what Ti glasses weigh.

I did put them on the digital scale. 15 grams maybe? I suppose since I opened mouth, I'll have to weigh them again. As I recall the weighing exercise, my old glasses were something like 75 grams.
I am a certified Sunglasses Junky. I will look at the Julbo Nomads. My all time most favorite pair of sunglasses were REI closeout glacier glasses with side shields for $5. I wore those things for years. Dropped them one day on a tile floor. They broke right at the temple hinge. Couldn't be fixed. I was very sad.

Wayne

Venchka
07-15-2015, 13:12
Nomads. Discontinued. Of course. Grrrrrrr.

Wayne

Ktaadn
07-15-2015, 14:29
Nomads. Discontinued. Of course. Grrrrrrr.

Wayne
Sorry. Forgot about that. I lost my original pair on a winter 2014 hike. Found a pair on clearance somewhere shortly after that. Looks like they are all gone now. If you checkout the Sheltowee Trace in southern KY, you might find my old pair. :cool:

BirdBrain
07-15-2015, 16:01
The lightest possible choice is to leave it behind. I considered these before because of a discussion elsewhere. However, I asked myself if I could live without them while hiking. The answer was yes. Mine weigh 0 grams.

rocketsocks
07-15-2015, 17:55
The lightest possible choice is to leave it behind. I considered these before because of a discussion elsewhere. However, I asked myself if I could live without them while hiking. The answer was yes. Mine weigh 0 grams.
I think I remember that conversation, yes this was not an original thought on my part, just a revisiting as I finally got a pair.

BirdBrain
07-15-2015, 18:04
I think I remember that conversation, yes this was not an original thought on my part, just a revisiting as I finally got a pair.

Well then.... I expect an informed review after some testing. I may change my mind again... and again... and again.

jimyjam
07-15-2015, 21:05
Check out these shades
http://www.sporteyz.com

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Venchka
07-15-2015, 22:59
Curiosity got the best of me.
Old glasses: 46 g x 2 because I also had prescription sunglasses.
New glasses: 15 g. All in one solution.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rmitchell
07-16-2015, 06:21
I've used those things before after trips to the retina doc. They worked for driving a few miles to my apartment and semi-darkness.
My only thought: Yes, they are tinted. But do they provide any UV protection for long term use?
In true Uber Gram Weenie tradition, when it came time for new glasses last year I sprang for titanium frames, ultra UV protection, auto darkening lenses with extra polarized/UV protection clip-on lenses. No clue how many grams I saved over my previous 2 pairs of glasses: regular & sunglasses. I'm not that much of a gram weenie.

Wayne

+1 On titanium frames for Rx glasses. Much stronger.
I do carry rollup shades as BU.

sbhikes
07-20-2015, 13:06
Check out these shades
http://www.sporteyz.com

I brought some of those on my PCT hike and they saved me. I lost my regular sunglasses and would have gone snowblind without my emergency roll-up sunglasses. I was so glad I brought them. Unfortunately they tended to fit a little too well to my face and fogged up. They probably work a lot better over a pair of regular glasses, but I don't wear glasses.

Brup Bup
01-14-2016, 19:14
Transitions lenses on a titanium frame. No seperate sunglasses needed (for us hard of sight folk)

MuddyWaters
01-14-2016, 22:27
Well, they really really suck.
But...they are good for a backup in certain conditions, like snow, where sunglasses are a must above treeline.

Kaptainkriz
01-15-2016, 00:54
A little industrial, but cheap and light, and shady enough for me. At .3oz, these are what I use for sailing and hikng: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006PJHM6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00