PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Erwin in late October: Night temps, bag rating?

slbirdnerd
07-15-2015, 08:12
Hi, all! So between Hot Springs and Erwin in late October, what rating bag or quilt would you use? Assume you are a gal and a really, really cold sleeper wearing a full 2.0 base layer, beanie and socks.

Hoping for some leaf color on the AT finally! :)

Thanks!

bigcranky
07-15-2015, 08:20
My partner is a gal and a really cold sleeper, and she uses her Montbell 0F rated down bag in October. Yeah, I think that's ridiculous, but then if you look at the EN Ratings, the "comfort range" of a 0F rated bag is around 20F, closer to the actual temps you'll get in late October (figure nighttime lows around 30).

There are all sorts of tricks for staying warmer in a sleeping bag, from making sure you eat something, to using a higher R-value sleeping pad. Even using a large chemical handwarmer can help a lot.

Hope you get the fall color :)

Mr. Bumpy
07-15-2015, 10:45
The weather is a complete crap shoot that time of year. Prepare for 15-20 at night and hopefully you will get 30. It can warm up quickly in the day, or stay cold. Last year on the second weekend in October I spent a night on Mt. Mitchell that was as cold and windy as any night in January and there was an inch of snow. The next weekend I was swimming in a lake near Asheville and working on a tan. By that time of year I would use a full tent for warmth and wind protection.

Fall is the best time to hike in the southern Appalachians.

2NewKnees
07-15-2015, 20:25
If it is like last year the leaves very well may be down by then. Like Bumpy said the weather is a crap shoot. Last year on Halloween we had snow. It was awesome! But within a week it was back up in the 50's. I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That time of year I carry a 20 degree bag, 2 pair of socks, a NF Down hoody for my insulation layer, and a rain coat. I have zip off pants that convert to shorts, and I usually carry a wicking t shirt and a long sleeve shirt that wicks as well. I also carry a tent, but may try my hammock system this year!

slbirdnerd
07-16-2015, 13:23
Thanks, guys! 2NewKnewws, I have both tent and hammock. I like them both for different reasons, but honestly am able to stay warmer in the hammock with the UQ and TQ combo.