PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Extremelite vs Microfiber series bag

OCDave
07-15-2015, 14:58
I am close to buying a WM Alpinlite. The size (bigger than their standard mummy) and temp rating are appealing. I like the weight but would hate to have a bag that was fragile.

Do those of you with any of the WM Extremelite series bags have concerns regarding the durability of the fabric? I have been also been considering the Badger in the Microfiber series only for increased durability. It will get used stacked with 20* quilt as a cooler weather/winter weather bag by my Boy Scout son. It will likely get used Winter tarp camping with snow on the ground.

Thanks for any input

CalebJ
07-15-2015, 15:01
I've owned a Summerlite for a few years now. No issues with durability to date. I probably wouldn't throw one to a scout aged kid, but for my own use it's handled everything well.

Dogwood
07-15-2015, 19:48
I am close to buying a WM Alpinlite. The size (bigger than their standard mummy) and temp rating are appealing. I like the weight but would hate to have a bag that was fragile.

Do those of you with any of the WM Extremelite series bags have concerns regarding the durability of the fabric? I have been also been considering the Badger in the Microfiber series only for increased durability. It will get used stacked with 20* quilt as a cooler weather/winter weather bag by my Boy Scout son. It will likely get used Winter tarp camping with snow on the ground.

Thanks for any input

I have or have had several Western Mountaineering Extremelite sleeping bags - the 35* Highlite(I'm on my 3rd or 4th but this has been my goto UL sleeping bag for several yrs getting extensively used when sleep temps are variable 20* - 60* nights, Ultralite( a Feathered Friends Swallow UL replaced this(I only had one), and a 10* Versalite.
y
I never considered their .9 ripstop shell or construction fragile. For a boy to be used in winter under maybe some more abrasive conditions or for one a little harder on their gear and or not so anal about a few ozs wanting even greater longer term durability maybe the Microfiber shell of 1.15 would work. Other than that since I have limited real world experience with any of the WM Microfiber series I can't tell you about those bags.

Studlintsean
07-15-2015, 22:15
I have the alpinelite and have no concerns with its durability. I love the bag.

bigcranky
07-16-2015, 06:54
I have WM bags with both shells. The microfiber definitely feels and looks stronger, but I've never had an issue with the lighter fabric. And I'm not real careful with gear. Also the only rip I've ever seen was in my partner's Antelope shell, which is microfiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
07-16-2015, 08:15
Just one more endorsement: My wife and I own 4 WM bags, one of each type of fabric apiece (Alpinlite, Ultralite both ex-lite, Puma, Badger, both MF), used heavily, never any problem with tears whatsoever and definitely not babied.

OCDave
07-16-2015, 10:20
Thank you all for the input. I am still not sure which way I'll go but, I'll have an opportunity to check out both this weekend.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dave

Venchka
07-20-2015, 08:35
2 WM bag owner here. Antelope & Alpinlite.
Have you considered the Sycamore or Antelope in micro-fiber?

Wayne

OCDave
07-20-2015, 17:17
2 WM bag owner here. Antelope & Alpinlite.
Have you considered the Sycamore or Antelope in micro-fiber?

Wayne

No, I really didn't want to go any colder than a 20* bag. I am a bigger guy across the shoulders which is why I like the Alpinlite. While I use a hammock and quilts for most trips, I would like to update my 20 yo Cat's Meow. Use by the son for Scouting trips will be 1-2 times annually. His trips were really the ply reason I considered the MF line.

My concerns regarding the durability of the ExtremeLite fabric have been ameliorated. I have decided to go with the Alpinlite

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

Venchka
07-20-2015, 20:35
As a brand new Alpinlite owner, who agonized over the purchase of a new bag until I drove myself crazy, bought and returned my second choice bag, and yet to use it, I think you'll love the Alpinlite. By the way, my Alpinlite came in a fraction of an ounce under the advertised weight. That rarely happens with my backpacking purchases.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.