PDA

View Full Version : The Jail House in Palmerton...closed.

Hangfire
07-15-2015, 17:57
Just noticed on the AT conservancy site that the Jail House in Palmerton was closed to thru hikers in 2015. Anyone hear an exact reason for the closure? Palmerton is an interesting little town but outside of the jail house there are very few places to stay, that's too bad.

4shot
07-16-2015, 20:47
this is sad news. I enjoyed my stay there as well as the the town of Palmerton. I still have a photo of the bank sign in that town that read 110*F the afternoon we arrived there. i went around the ridge made famous by Mr. Bryson the next day. Just veered to the left and followed the creek for about 20 miles or so up to the next Gap.(Windy? Winding? Whatever?). The Jail House rocked (pun intended).

couscous
07-16-2015, 21:00
Anyone hear an exact reason for the closure?

Bad hiker behavior.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110413-Jail-House-Hostel-in-Palmerton-PA

imscotty
07-16-2015, 22:46
Bad hiker behavior.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110413-Jail-House-Hostel-in-Palmerton-PA

Gee, where have we heard that before. A sad reoccurring theme.

Hangfire
07-17-2015, 01:23
Maybe a hostel will pop up in the next couple of years, I'm sure one could hold its own there. I spent 5 days there last year resting a sore ankle, cool little town or I guess for a trail town its kind of big but I enjoyed my stay there, lots of good restaurant options...

jdc5294
07-17-2015, 12:37
That's a shame, I stayed there in 2012. Checked in after hours, the police officer on duty was cool as all get out. I left very early in the season so there weren't a lot of people around, maybe 3 or 4 there besides myself, all of them older and more levelheaded then maybe the average hiker. I was the only boisterous kid :D. I can imagine it might have been worse if 20 or more people were packed in there at one time. But it was a great place, good location in town to get anywhere you needed by walking. We somehow found a basketball and had a good time playing in the gym. Showers were clean. This is sad news.