PDA

View Full Version : bear spray

firegirl130065
07-16-2015, 10:37
Does it actually work out would it just upset the (black) bear?

Walkintom
07-16-2015, 11:40
You don't really need to carry it for black bears. They almost always run at sight of a human. I consider it necessary only to have where brown bears are present. So not necessary on the AT - it's just wasted weight and bulk for you to carry.

It's roughly 2.5x the strength of the mace that cops carry. Bears most sensitive sense is smell. It works.

A can of Frontiersman bear spray unloads in 3 seconds and sprays 30 feet.

However, the legality of carrying it through all 14 states the AT passes through is something that you should consider and research. Also the parks, which may have additional regulations.

You're far more likely to have problems with people than bears - and problems with people are very rare.

BirdBrain
07-16-2015, 15:54
Many studies done on the stuff. Counter Assault makes the only bear spray that achieves all 3 of the recommended properties of bear spray (distance of propellant, percentage of active ingredient, and duration of spray). It works. It is not needed on the AT.

Five Tango
07-16-2015, 16:42
This gentleman in the video knows how to use it.Note his last comment about the two hunters.
http://counterassault.com/BeBearAwareVideo.htm

Five Tango
07-16-2015, 17:14
This gentleman in the video knows how to use it.Note his last comment about the two hunters.
http://counterassault.com/BeBearAwareVideo.htm

firegirl130065
07-17-2015, 16:48
Thank you for the info.

medicjenn76
07-22-2015, 14:17
We did several days in the Smokies in early June, for peace of mind we carried a small air horn. Like for boating, it was light weight and packed into my pants cargo pocket.. Only saw 2 bears,1 a cub and 1 Momma, Momma stood up and sniffed the aire at us. I yelled and waved my hands and sounded the horn and they both took off. Man did my ears ring for days...

HooKooDooKu
07-22-2015, 15:12
We did several days in the Smokies in early June, for peace of mind we carried a small air horn. Like for boating, it was light weight and packed into my pants cargo pocket...
A whistle should suffice as a replacement to an air horn... and many back packs now include a whistle molded into the clip of the chest strap.

Five Tango
07-22-2015, 16:21
Amazon has air horn type noise makers that are mouth activated.Mine weighs about an ounce.Yes,it is LOUD.She won't let me blow it in the house!Whistles sound like dying rabbit predator calls to me.I like the Big Truck sound the little air horn "whistle size" noise maker makes.......