PDA

View Full Version : ZPacks Arc Blast Questions

NightCreature0
07-16-2015, 12:24
I'm seriously considering getting a ZPacks 52L Arc Blast, but still not sure about a few things. My main concerns are waterproofness and durability. The main appeal is being able to eliminate a pack cover and just using a liner. Is this doable? Also, has anyone heard of the life span of cuben fiber? I know ZPacks warranties it for a thru hike.

soumodeler
07-16-2015, 13:14
The pack is highly waterproof. I used it in some heavy rain with no rain getting in. I would only be worried about dropping it in a creek, but I always have my bag and clothes in a trash compactor bag regardless.

NightCreature0
07-16-2015, 13:41
Thanks for the help. Do you ever have any issues packing the 52L or is it plenty?

soumodeler
07-16-2015, 13:53
I have both the 52 and 60L. I ended up needing the 60 for a thru attempt and was planning on switching back to the 52L for warmer weather months.

tagg
07-16-2015, 16:29
Thanks for the help. Do you ever have any issues packing the 52L or is it plenty?

I have the 52L and think it's plenty. I recently carried it on a 9 day trip with no resupply. My food bag weighed almost 14lbs with a total pack weight of 26lbs, and I had room for more gear if I needed it. I've also carried it in heavy rain without any leakage, but I still keep my down and camp clothes in a dry sack. Pull the trigger, dude...it's worth it.

MuddyWaters
07-16-2015, 21:31
Well, cuben isnt all that durable, and its not water-tight when it has holes in it.

Mine developed some small holes where the frame rubbed on the outside, ( not uncommon) and holes where objects inside rubbed ( bear cannister). The good side is easily fixed with tape, and the liner inside keeps dry anyway.

Hikerb** broke a stay on his during BMT thru this spring. Not even sure how thats possible, but it happened.:confused:

Its a great UL pack for up to 25 lb. If you have a UL kit, it will work great. If you dont, do not think you will stretch it to 30, you will be better off with heavier pack. Its a delight from 15-22 lbs, the range where frameless starts to suck.

Its durable enough for light wts ~20 lbs with care to last a couple thousand miles. It is not as durable as a conventional fabric pack.

I never used a pack cover with any pack. Improved water resistance is a big reason i got an arc blast as well. But....this pack goes beyond that. Its really a pack that works very, very well. Simple, comfortable, effective. It doesnt lean away from back at all with right torso length, load lifters completely unnecessary. Its a pleasure to use. If you have had a pack that required load lifters, you will be amazed.

cj2874
07-17-2015, 07:07
I have a 52L and never use a rain cover. I only use the Litetrail pack liner. Even this summer while hiking in downpours there was no water breach. It is a great pack.

Dochartaigh
07-17-2015, 10:54
I have a 9.5 pound base weight and recommend getting the 60L version. If you're the type of person who likes to strap tons of stuff to the pack itself (and stuff the elastic outside pocket to capacity) - you would probably be fine with the 52L, but I like all my gear (or as much as humanly possible) to go inside the pack itself.

Coffee
07-17-2015, 11:00
I've thought about what size Arc Blast I would order if I ever pull the trigger on buying this pack. The 60L would be too big for me in terms of volume unless I'm carrying a bear canister. 52L would be perfect without a canister. So for the PCT, I think that I would go with the 60L. For the AT probably 52L. At this point I have the Circuit for large volume and heavier carries and the CDT which I just got and plan to use for trips under 20-22 pounds.

tagg
07-17-2015, 15:22
It doesnt lean away from back at all with right torso length, load lifters completely unnecessary. Its a pleasure to use. If you have had a pack that required load lifters, you will be amazed.

Agreed. I've always used them on my other packs, so I had Joe add them to my Arc Blast when I ordered it...and haven't used them at all.

Dochartaigh
07-17-2015, 15:49
I've thought about what size Arc Blast I would order if I ever pull the trigger on buying this pack. The 60L would be too big for me in terms of volume unless I'm carrying a bear canister.

Keep in mind that the actual capacity of the main compartment is a LOT less than the 60L rating. On the Arc Blast 60 it's actually 47 liters.

NightCreature0
07-18-2015, 12:11
Thanks for all the replies. What is a good way to measure for this pack? I use an Osprey Exos 58 Medium (18-21) but I can't find any info on translating that to the Arc Blast. I'm 5'10 170.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2015, 12:15
Thanks for all the replies. What is a good way to measure for this pack? I use an Osprey Exos 58 Medium (18-21) but I can't find any info on translating that to the Arc Blast. I'm 5'10 170.

Joe has directions on his website. You measure differently. Follow his directions. You will probably want regular torso length. It is based off of Joes own size. I have regular length and its great, my normal measured torso is 19.5" in a pack shop.

Everything I have EVER bought from Joe, has been top notch and worked exactly as anticipated, probably because we are similar size.

Torso Height: The torso height on our backpacks is the actual distance on the backpack measured from the bottom of the belt to where the shoulder straps attach. Your best bet for sizing is to find an existing pack that you like and measure it directly. Note that the curve of the Arc frame affects the position of the shoulder straps, and the curve is factored into our measurements. The shoulder straps should be positioned level with, or a bit below the tops of your shoulders.

there used to be a picture.
You can stand in front of a mirror and hold a yardstick next to you and see the distance
I actually prefer the straps a bit high, so they stay high and dont drop below shoulders under load with sagging, etc.

And dont worry, even though its custom, he will take it back.

Zpacks is a great company to deal with.

sethd513
07-21-2015, 05:55
I have a prophet 52 large and including the pack without food and water I believe I'm around 16 to 18 lbs at this point. my wife and I share the load but I usually end up with all the food. This is the bag is like to purchase but I drink water like a fish( I'm trying to regulate it better on the trail) but is 22 really the max on this bag for comfort? My prophet isn't comfortable for me at 35 and it's rated for 50 lbs.

soumodeler
07-21-2015, 09:09
I have about a 10-15 pound base weight depending on season and anything over 25 pounds on the Arc Blast starts to get uncomfortable. I was over 30 leaving town one time and it was miserable.

MuddyWaters
07-26-2015, 12:41
I have a prophet 52 large and including the pack without food and water I believe I'm around 16 to 18 lbs at this point. my wife and I share the load but I usually end up with all the food. This is the bag is like to purchase but I drink water like a fish( I'm trying to regulate it better on the trail) but is 22 really the max on this bag for comfort? My prophet isn't comfortable for me at 35 and it's rated for 50 lbs.

Its a 16 oz pack. Its not a load hauler.
No experience with it but the 26 oz arc haul will probalby handle 30-35 OK, since Joe claims 40 as upper limit.

Your prophet isnt rated for 50. The fabrics are strong enough for 50. MLD says 25 is usually max for all day comfort in frameless pack. MLD is being generous too.

Most frameless packs, in my experience, are marginal 15-20. Above that, even using CCF for pack structure, they start to suck to me. They have to be packed firm to not collapse and shift wt to shoulders, and that makes them uncomfortably shaped. The worst is the round burrito shape. Folding CCF flat against pack worked best for me. Packing them takes more time, and is a bit of a pain in the arse. Its simply not worth what 3-4 oz of stay can provide to me. Besides, I like my CCF outside the pack to use as a sitpad during day.

Theres no end of masochists that will claim their frameless packs are great to 30 lbs. That just means they tolerate it. Yeah, its tolerable. Like using a 40F quilt when you need a 20 is tolerable too. Having the right gear for the conditions just makes a trip so much more enjoyable.

But yeah, the arc blast start to sag, and the backpanel collapses and lets you feel hard items in pack around 25 lbs. I carried 26 for a day, it was OK, but I could definitely tell difference between my usually low 20s and 25-26. I would not consider pushing it to 30, id use a different pack for that.

Wyoming
07-26-2015, 15:55
Muddy

You seem to know the owners of this business. Just how custom of work are they willing to do? If I am able I am going to try either the PCT or CDT next year and I will need to set up a much lighter base weight. I have been looking at the Arc Blast & Arc Zip but I have a strong interest in changing an item or two and adding a feature or two. Do they accommodate such requests?

bigcranky
07-26-2015, 16:17
You might look at an Arc Haul for 30 pound loads. I just took mine on a 6-day hike earlier this month and it did well. It's as good as a Circuit with that weight, maybe slightly better. If you search for it I wrote up some thoughts on another thread.

soumodeler
07-26-2015, 16:28
Muddy

You seem to know the owners of this business. Just how custom of work are they willing to do? If I am able I am going to try either the PCT or CDT next year and I will need to set up a much lighter base weight. I have been looking at the Arc Blast & Arc Zip but I have a strong interest in changing an item or two and adding a feature or two. Do they accommodate such requests?

Just email them ([email protected]) with what you want custom and Joe will usually get back very quickly with approval/pricing. I have had several things customized from them with very good customer service from Joe.

MuddyWaters
07-26-2015, 23:56
Muddy

I dont know Joe except thru emails and business. Ive been buying items from him since he started. He is extremely willing to work with you, modify, change, etc. He knows new products come out of others ideas. He has made many things for people custom. Order lead time today is at record levels even with the new facility, that might impact things. I liked the good old days when he wasnt so busy.