PDA

View Full Version : MAPTECH AT Software

2009ThruHiker
11-22-2005, 15:21
Has anyone used this for planning/dreaming and if so how did you like it?

trippclark
11-22-2005, 16:40
Yes, I have this software and use it. At the original price, it probably is a stretch on value, but you can find it cheap now . . . $30 - $50 (of course, it is outdated in some sections now also). Printing maps from it is useless, in my opinion, but the online Trail Guides are useful for me in planning section hikes. I copy and paste these into my wordprocessing software then remove what I don't want, add anything that I want to add from other references, and print these and carry along. I then have just a couple of very specific sheets rather than a whole guide to carry along.

Kerosene
11-23-2005, 11:15
Definitely outdated. I did the copy-and-paste exercise for a section hike, but it was more work than simply copying the relevant guidebook pages and reducing to 16 pages per 2-sided 8.5x11" piece of paper. The elevation maps weren't very good either.

Smile
11-23-2005, 13:51
Fun, makes you want to get out there and hike....especially the 3-D glasses feature!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-23-2005, 17:20
The male dino has it and uses it. It has some useful functions, but I'm less than thrilled.

ZEKE #2
12-02-2005, 10:36
:p I've got it and use it heavily during the bitter cold winter days to plan and dream. I've got until 2008.

Tim Rich
12-02-2005, 11:01
Yes, I have this software and use it. At the original price, it probably is a stretch on value, but you can find it cheap now . . . $30 - $50 (of course, it is outdated in some sections now also). Printing maps from it is useless, in my opinion, but the online Trail Guides are useful for me in planning section hikes. I copy and paste these into my wordprocessing software then remove what I don't want, add anything that I want to add from other references, and print these and carry along. I then have just a couple of very specific sheets rather than a whole guide to carry along.

I used the new england edition in just such manner for our sections through there, pasting and updating the descriptions from the Companion. I didn't use it for Maine, though, opting for the new Maine maps (they're excellent). Printing the maps is cumbersome, but workable. I used some cheap laminating material to cover them and they lasted the typical week I'd use them. The program's fun to play and dream with, and also to anticipate and plan for the next trip. One thing that makes section hiking neat is the ability to savor a section, relive it for a while and then begin anticipating the next trip.

Take Care,

Tim

Smile
12-02-2005, 13:08
Zeke #2...you go that right! Virtual hiking....the winter is already passing
S L O W L Y !

dironstarr
03-07-2008, 20:58
I realize this post is ancient, however, I just purchsed this software off ebay to use in planning for this summer. I am beginning my "rest-of-my-life section hike (hiking 1 week each summer until I finish the trail).

But...this software I bought didn't come with the product code and now I can't install it. Any chance someone could pass along a product code for me to try? I've emailed maptech but have got no response and doubt I will now that the product has been discontinued.

jamarshall
03-08-2008, 11:02
Does the software run on Windows XP? I've been watching it come and go on E-Bay, but haven't bought it because I'm not sure it will run on my computer.

You should contact the seller for either the code or a refund.

dironstarr
03-08-2008, 15:13
You should contact the seller for either the code or a refund.

Yeah, I've tried both. The seller is "attempting" to find it or contact maptech. I tried getting maptech (via email) as well with no luck. I was hoping there was a way to find it on the CD usng a keyfinder but no such luck.

I wouldn't normally ask for a code from someone but I seem to be out of options.