PDA

View Full Version : Extend the AT from the Gulf to Canada?

Coffee
07-17-2015, 10:00
With all of the talk of BSP possibly removing the AT designation from its trails, I was thinking that it might be a good opportunity for the ATC to reconsider whether the AT should be officially extended from the Gulf coast to Canada. I realize that the Appalachian range doesn't extend all the way to the gulf. But the Pinhoti Trail could be used to extend down to the Birmingham area and I've read of Florida Trail hikers somehow hiking between the Florida Trail and Pinhoti (maybe lots of roads)? The International AT already exists. Maybe the ATC could take this opportunity to reroute the AT away from BSP (hikers could still take a side trip to Katahdin) and extend it. It would then be more comparable in distance to the PCT and CDT and arguably much more of a challenge due to the trail's grading. Anyway, just a thought.

ChrisJackson
07-17-2015, 10:51
Pressing the -Like- button...

FatMan
07-17-2015, 18:30
I think it's a great idea. That would sure change things around these parts for the better in March and April.

X-Pat
07-17-2015, 19:12
Judging from some of the comments here in the last few day, maybe they should route the AT from Vermont straight through to Quebec, completely circumventing Maine. It seems like the dirty, filthy, rule-ignoring thru-hiking punks (I still plan on being one in a few years) are not really welcome there anyway.

MuddyWaters
07-17-2015, 22:00
You can link up many trails in any combo you like.
they dont have to have a singular name to hike them
Some people have hiked incredible distances linking the major trails up in the US

Florida-Pinhoti-AT is one of those combos

Coffee
07-18-2015, 16:05
You can link up many trails in any combo you like.
they dont have to have a singular name to hike them
Some people have hiked incredible distances linking the major trails up in the US

Florida-Pinhoti-AT is one of those combos

Yeah I realize that. However, official designations obviously do matter which is why I raised this (not very original) idea. If the AT is rerouted away from BSP, I think that it needs another major destination rather than just randomly ending at a road crossing. Canada would be such a destination.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2015, 16:30
Yeah I realize that. However, official designations obviously do matter which is why I raised this (not very original) idea. If the AT is rerouted away from BSP, I think that it needs another major destination rather than just randomly ending at a road crossing. Canada would be such a destination.
Doesnt the IAT already go there?

Just would have to bypass the BSP and connect up again on somewhere

Coffee
07-18-2015, 16:31
Doesnt the IAT already go there?

Yes, the IAT, not the AT.

peakbagger
07-18-2015, 20:49
The IAT starts on the eastern boundary of the park. The original concept left the summit via the Northern Peaks trail to the Russell Pond area and then out via an old logging road. Unfortunately the IAT organizers didn't get permission from the park and the result is there is no official signed connector to the start of the IAT from the summit. Anyone who looks at a map can figure out the unofficial route.

Coffee
07-19-2015, 07:26
Maybe the official connection can be outside the park entirely. Won't stop anyone willing to abide by the park rules from making a side trip.