PDA

View Full Version : 4-6 Day Hike of MD and WV

bootsontheground
07-17-2015, 16:57
Looking to do my first hike of the AT. 2017 I am doing a section hike of PA in hole. But for now I want to start off small. I want to do a 4-6 day hike of MD and WV sections. Just wondering on this length hike I am not planning to resupply. I want to be able to just hike, hike and hike some more. I am starting to get the smaller stuff for gear, compass, boots, utensils. But I can not seem to figure out backpacks. There are so many different sizes how do I know how many liters to go with.

johnnybgood
07-17-2015, 19:44
I want to do a 4-6 day hike of MD and WV sections. Just wondering on this length hike I am not planning to resupply. But I can not seem to figure out backpacks. There are so many different sizes how do I know how many liters to go with.

Here's the good news, the Maryland section from Harper's Ferry, WVA. north to PenMar Park is 42 miles and should take you about 3 days .The AT of WVA only covers 4 miles, straddling the Virginia border as it approaches Harper's Ferry proper and also in southwestern VA in the New River Valley. Getting shuttled to PenMar Park, then hiking to Harper's Ferry is preferable with a choice of eateries to enjoy at the end of your hike.

Now regarding the size (liter size) of a backpack, purchasing one too big is simply more space to bring stuff you won't need. A future backpack should be in the 55-62 liter range .

ryjohnson09
07-17-2015, 21:22
I recently did the PenMar to harpers ferry hike. Blog and video -> https://microhiking.wordpress.com/

Tprunty8
07-18-2015, 11:36
I hiked for the first time ever last month, Harper's Ferry to Boiling Springs. It was awesome. My best advice to to contact Robert at the Trails to Hope hostel on Rt. 30 by Caledonia State Park. Besides being a great place to sleep, and eat, this hostel is run by and for hikers. Invaluable advice given out for free on all things hiking! Robert shuttled me several days so that I could slack pack and sleep/eat at the hostel at night. He even shuttled me back to HF to get my car when I finished. Great first experience hiking! I think that Roberts number is (717)658-7971.