PDA

View Full Version : Gear Talk: Hiking Pants - where can I find some like these?

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 20:13
Hey adventurers, I am looking for a great pair of hiking pants. I was looking for something similar to the Bear Grylls style of trousers with the multiple pockets (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTC77FM/ref=twister_B00JJJ9T1Y) in the pants. Any idea where I can find similar pants? Thanks and let's get talking!!

egilbe
07-17-2015, 20:48
Railriders or The North Face have been good to me.

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 21:20
Railriders or The North Face have been good to me. Okay sweet!! I'll check them out, thank you so much!! I appreciate it!!

bigcranky
07-17-2015, 21:25
I have several kinds of lightweight nylon cargo pants. The North Face is good, and I also like the REI Sahara pants, especially the zipoff version. I also have some nylon Mountain Khakis pants that have great pockets for travel and around town, but I'm not sure they'd be comfortable hiking.

The REI pants are often on sale and are a good value.

KTX
07-17-2015, 21:36
Kuhl, pricey but some of the best stuff around.

Another Kevin
07-17-2015, 21:43
I have a couple pair of REI Sahara zipoffs and like them. I see a lot of them on the trail.

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 21:45
I have several kinds of lightweight nylon cargo pants. The North Face is good, and I also like the REI Sahara pants, especially the zipoff version. I also have some nylon Mountain Khakis pants that have great pockets for travel and around town, but I'm not sure they'd be comfortable hiking.

The REI pants are often on sale and are a good value. Okay sweet, thank you ! I'll look em up!!

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 21:46
Kuhl, pricey but some of the best stuff around. Thanks i'll check em out and see what i think!

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 21:46
I have a couple pair of REI Sahara zipoffs and like them. I see a lot of them on the trail. Okay sweet, thank you! I really appreciate you commenting! And its good to hear a first hand account!

Sarcasm the elf
07-17-2015, 21:47
I have a couple pair of REI Sahara zipoffs and like them. I see a lot of them on the trail.

Yep, plain Jane REI or EMS zip-off pants work great. Plus they don't break the bank so you don't feel too bad when you shred them sliding down granite.

jp_over
07-17-2015, 21:52
+1 on Railriders, deep pockets, fantastic build quality.

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 22:03
What do you all think of the Rail Rider Extreme Adventure Pants? https://www.railriders.com/men-treme-adventure-pant-p-951.html?cPath=104_110 I think I like these alot! What's your opinions?

Slo-go'en
07-17-2015, 22:16
What do you all think of the Rail Rider Extreme Adventure Pants? https://www.railriders.com/men-treme-adventure-pant-p-951.html?cPath=104_110 I think I like these alot! What's your opinions?

As good as any. Personally I don't like to put anything in my pockets because I have a hard enough time keeping my pants from slipping off my non-existent butt. Except in town when it's nice to have a secure front pocket to carry the wallet in.

Another Kevin
07-17-2015, 22:17
Yep, plain Jane REI or EMS zip-off pants work great. Plus they don't break the bank so you don't feel too bad when you shred them sliding down granite.

I did feel pretty embarrassed - or at least em-bare-assed - when I realized that I'd been hiking right in front of John Burroughs's granddaughter with no seat in my pants - I'd damaged it a couple of hours earlier sliding on sandstone and hadn't noticed that the stitching had given way. Oops.

She was gracious enough not to notice - or not to remark if she had.

Sarcasm the elf
07-17-2015, 22:23

Why would you spend $100 for regular hiking pants?

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 22:29
Why would you spend $100 for regular hiking pants? A lot of people and I've been researching a bit over the past hour say that the RR pants are some of the best. Where can i find pants like those? The reinforced knees, seat and ankles seem to be good features. Where can i find similar pants? Could you send a link? It'd be much appreciated!!

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 22:30
As good as any. Personally I don't like to put anything in my pockets because I have a hard enough time keeping my pants from slipping off my non-existent butt. Except in town when it's nice to have a secure front pocket to carry the wallet in. Oh i see, thank you I really appreciate your first hand account and opinion! I'll think about getting these!!

Sarcasm the elf
07-17-2015, 22:37
A lot of people and I've been researching a bit over the past hour say that the RR pants are some of the best. Where can i find pants like those? The reinforced knees, seat and ankles seem to be good features. Where can i find similar pants? Could you send a link? It'd be much appreciated!!

I already made my recommendation above. I bought three pairs on sale over the years for around $100 total. You're going to destroy pants while hiking no mattee how reinforced they are, you can spend your money however you want, but the longer I hike, the less important I find expensive gear to be.

BenOnAdventures
07-17-2015, 22:48
I already made my recommendation above. I bought three pairs on sale over the years for around $100 total. You're going to destroy pants while hiking no mattee how reinforced they are, you can spend your money however you want, but the longer I hike, the less important I find expensive gear to be. Okay thank you so much for the advice! I looked up the REI saharas and it says they're out of stock, do you know any other alternate ones to those, I did look up the EMS ones as well.

appompa255
07-17-2015, 23:58
I've found that Sierra Trading Post has some good gear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Really good return policy as well. I picked up some Columbia zip off hiking pants that I really like.

BenOnAdventures
07-18-2015, 00:26
I've found that Sierra Trading Post has some good gear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Really good return policy as well. I picked up some Columbia zip off hiking pants that I really like. Oh sweet, i'll check it out!! Thank you so much!!

Rocket Jones
07-18-2015, 08:58
Check out the online Boy Scouts webstore. They have a very nice set of convertable nylon cargo pants for a good price.

BenOnAdventures
07-18-2015, 10:10
What about The North Face Ascender pants? Would they be good for a big trail like the AT?

BenOnAdventures
07-18-2015, 12:05
Check out the online Boy Scouts webstore. They have a very nice set of convertable nylon cargo pants for a good price. Will do, thank you!!

mPalozzola01
07-18-2015, 15:55
Curious about the rei Saharas I was looking on their site and notice the "new" Saharas are getting blasted in reviews vs the older line no longer available. Any experience w the new vs the old?

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
07-18-2015, 16:43
The only thing special about railriders is their lightweight ventillated pants for hiking above treeline or desert.
Turn them inside out and some of the construction leaves something to be desired. More fluff than substance IMO.

But...there is a secret pocket in the front right of my ecomesh pants that zips shut. Perfect place for ID/money I take.
Worth $85? Not really, except that there arent any cheaper alternatives that are similarly ventillated.

I want a pair of ventillated pants, that also zips off, and has waterproof pants bottoms so only a rainskirt is needed. Then Id be pretty excited.

Malto
07-18-2015, 17:41

The REI pants are often on sale and are a good value.

I have been using NON zip off Sahara pants for the last five years. I abandoned the zip offs and also carry very lightweight shorts. the advantage to me is that the zipper bother me while sleeping in them. I also cut off most pockets and belt loops while leaving just the front pocket and a single side map pocket. in addition to being the lightest weight Sahara pants on the trail they are also cooler and quicker drying since there is less multiple layers of fabric. I have cut two pairs of these up before I even wore them for the first time.

So, while zip offs may seem to be a great dual use, I believe a very lightweight pair of pants combined with very lightweight shorts is a more versatile combination.

Del Q
07-18-2015, 18:00
Ditto on Rail Riders, great company.

sbhikes
07-20-2015, 12:56
You can find nylon zip-off cargo pants pretty much everywhere. Any outdoor retailer, any outdoor catalog, even the thrift store, which is where I go first whenever I need a new pair. They even had them at costco yesterday.