PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mountain Gap to 19E

cnikirk
07-18-2015, 11:15
Hi,

I'm looking for a hike in mid September this year of about 30 - 40 miles in the Roan Highlands. I would like to hike 4 days, with very low mileage first day (4 miles or so) due to travel. Was thinking of doing Iron Mountain Gap to 19E. Any suggestions or recommendations or changes to this plan? Would like to have nice views and I think this fits the bill. Is there a shuttle service available to pick us up on 19E and take us back to Iron Mountain gap?

Thanks so much!

johnnybgood
07-18-2015, 12:35
This is an excellent hike with beautiful views. Mountain Harbour B&B, www.mountainharbour.net/hikers/hostel (http://www.mountainharbour.net/hikers/hostel) at 19E can shuttle you to Iron Mountain Gap.
You can also leave your car there in their secure lot .

Happy hiking !

cnikirk
07-18-2015, 13:51
This is an excellent hike with beautiful views. Mountain Harbour B&B, www.mountainharbour.net/hikers/hostel (http://www.mountainharbour.net/hikers/hostel) at 19E can shuttle you to Iron Mountain Gap.
You can also leave your car there in their secure lot .

Happy hiking !

That is great news. Do you know the total mileage? Any recommendations on how many miles to do each day and which shelters and camp sites to stop at for the night?

MuddyWaters
07-18-2015, 19:10
That is great news. Do you know the total mileage? Any recommendations on how many miles to do each day and which shelters and camp sites to stop at for the night?

If my memory is correct, thats about 30 miles. Give or take a few.
What to do is all up to you. Its your hike.
Some like Roan High Knob, its the highest shelter on trail. Others like to tent on a bald, many like Overmountain shelter, a huge old tobacco barn overlooking a valley.

Dont miss breakfast at Mountain Harbour.

cnikirk
07-18-2015, 19:59
If my memory is correct, thats about 30 miles. Give or take a few.
What to do is all up to you. Its your hike.
Some like Roan High Knob, its the highest shelter on trail. Others like to tent on a bald, many like Overmountain shelter, a huge old tobacco barn overlooking a valley.

Dont miss breakfast at Mountain Harbour.

Cool thanks!

Biggie Master
07-18-2015, 20:51
January 1, 2015

Biggie Master
07-18-2015, 21:07
It was about 14 deg F the night before... Clear, crisp mountain views to start the new year!

Biggie Master
07-18-2015, 21:18
http://www.atdist.com (http://atdist.com)

saltysack
07-20-2015, 10:37
I did this exact trip a few winters ago. Used mountain Harbour as shuttle. Started first day late evening do stopped at Clyde smith shelter then day two I tented near overniuntain shelter. Last day done by lunch at mhh. Great trip except the solid ice up and down roan.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/20/6b0db0cd8a130e2a4a91faaa5a01283e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/20/3dfeeb674d03c8d274957d9560156367.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/20/7f0aa579af81abbdf51853d818a4d986.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2015, 10:45
Great section, I also like the Elk River section just north of 19E

Tennessee Viking
07-20-2015, 13:35
Also check with Erwin Shuttles.

From IMG, there is an apple orchard about a mile north with a source. After that, the trail turns hill side for a bit then converts to ridge top to Greasy Creek Gap with a source (and the hostel is just off the trail on the NC side)

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2015, 14:59
Beware of that Greasy Creek Access Trail, it is not marked and lots of intersecting paths, I believe they all more or less come out same place.

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2015, 15:03
http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=DD&k2=DL&h=2178d8ff&year=2015Roan High Knob (cloudland Site), to Dennis Cove-Great little 40 miles

cnikirk
07-20-2015, 19:57
Great, thanks for all the tips, and cool pics! I can't wait.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-20-2015, 20:05
I did IMG to 19E last year, and part of the same section this year. Park at Mountain Harbour and use their shuttle to IMG. Most listed water sources were flowing well, except Ash Gap. The climb up to Roan wasn't bad, and once you come down to Carver's Gap, the trail turns awesome. Be aware that you'll be on mostly exposed terrain between CG and Hump Mountain. Great water sources at Roan High Knob shelter, about 1/2 mile past Grassy Ridge Bald, Overmountain Shelter (must stay here and take the side trip), and at the base of Little Hump. I also suggest you take the side trail to Grassy Ridge Bald- I didn't last year but did last month and it was amazing.

Plan your trip so you can take part in the breakfast at Mountain Harbour. It is WELL worth the $12. The hostel there is in a converted barn and completely comfortable.

Seatbelt
07-21-2015, 13:26
I, too heartily recommend Mountain Harbour having stayed there on two different occasions. If they are shuttling you to start your trip, you might get a later start than you would if already on the trail somewhere, so plan your first days mileage accordingly. Have a great trip, it is a very beautiful trek!

Studlintsean
07-21-2015, 13:51
Great, thanks for all the tips, and cool pics! I can't wait.

I did this hike with 3 of my brothers last May and have a short trip report with pics and info on water/our itinerary. Send me a PM with email if you would like to see it (Disclaimer: I am not a professional writer)

Namtrag
07-22-2015, 09:54
Looks like winter or fall is the time to go. It was like hiking in Vietnam last week...rain and humidity galore.

Another plug for Mountain Harbor. Great breakfast and nice people running it!

Gambit McCrae
07-22-2015, 10:54
Mountain Harbor is the best in the area, clean reasonable and always on time with the best breakfast in southern AT if not whole trail

Venchka
07-22-2015, 11:08
OK. I'm a believer. Making plans to visit this section of the trail the next time we are in the neighborhood.
Or Grayson Highlands.
A toss up on great sections of the AT for sure.
Thanks everyone.

Wayne

saltysack
07-22-2015, 11:33
OK. I'm a believer. Making plans to visit this section of the trail the next time we are in the neighborhood.
Or Grayson Highlands.
Thanks everyone.

Wayne

Grayson highlands gets my vote...

Namtrag
07-22-2015, 13:32
Or Grayson Highlands.
Thanks everyone.

Wayne

The Roan section is a lot tougher, and has some beautiful balds and meadows. It's a tough call between the two, but I'd go to Roan since I have been to Grayson at least 4 times already.

Venchka
07-22-2015, 13:39
Thanks saltysack & Namtrag. The good news is that when we are in North Carolina, we're approximately halfway between both locations. My granddaughter has spent the past 3 summers at Grayson Highlands. Maybe I can kidnap her to be my guide up there. We drive right past Mountain Harbor going to-from my daughter's home. All I need now is some free time.

Wayne

saltysack
07-22-2015, 19:34
I'm prob partial to Grayson as my only trip over roan was in the middle of winter without spikes...took over 14 hours to go the 15 miles from Clyde smith to overmountain shelter!! Stayed on my arse and about broke my ankle!!! Take spikes during winter!

Venchka
07-22-2015, 21:27
I'm prob partial to Grayson as my only trip over roan was in the middle of winter without spikes...took over 14 hours to go the 15 miles from Clyde smith to overmountain shelter!! Stayed on my arse and about broke my ankle!!! Take spikes during winter!

Will do. Thanks.

Wayne

AggieDO
01-09-2019, 06:47
Has anyone done IMG to 19E more recently? I'm considering this trip in April or May. Anyone have recommendations on best times of year/months to go? When do the thru-hikers tend to start arriving in this section? Are water sources reliable in their flow/availability? Thanks in advance!

scope
01-09-2019, 12:12
For me, it would be in mid June when rhodos and flame azalea are in full bloom, despite the outrageous crowds, which is generally limited to the area between Carvers Gap and Grassy Ridge. Whole section is popular that time of year, you wouldn't be alone.

illabelle
01-09-2019, 13:59
Has anyone done IMG to 19E more recently? I'm considering this trip in April or May. Anyone have recommendations on best times of year/months to go? When do the thru-hikers tend to start arriving in this section? Are water sources reliable in their flow/availability? Thanks in advance!

Aggie, you're close enough to get out there sooner than that. Even if it's just for a dayhike, that area is special.

FrogLevel
01-09-2019, 14:48

That will be a great time of year to do it.
Big thru hiker crowds will be here starting in April through late may. There will always be section and day hikers in this area so you'll see multiple people through the day between march-oct. Even on the busiest days the shelters shouldn't be full.

Water is good in the spring and tends to become less abundant as the summer progresses but the marked springs should be flowing year round.

Tennessee Viking
01-09-2019, 15:01
Aggie.

You will see some hiker crowds starting in late March. The majority will hit April to mid-May. Weekends will have increased section hikers.

The year I did it I hit at the middle of the crowd and on the weekend with school/BS groups. No room at the Barn. Plan on camping being a popular section just in case.

Water should be flowing that time of year.
Apple Orchard, seep at Weedy Gap, Greasy Creek Gap, near Hughes Gap, creek off of Ash Gap, probably too early for the Cloudland facilities, Roan High Shelter, pipe near Carvers, Near Grassy Ridge split, S Murray, the Barn, Little Hump/Bradley Gap, Doll Flats, and out to 19E.

Check with TEHCC on group hikes.

carouselambra
01-10-2019, 13:28
I hiked that section in November of 2017. I don't know what it is like in other parts of the year, but the spring at the Clyde Smith Shelter was dust-dry and the spring at Ash Gap was a muddy seep that required some engineering and multiple filtering to make usable. Too bad, because Ash Gap has ample flat campsites.