PDA

View Full Version : Deyhdrating canned chicken in the oven

Water Rat
07-19-2015, 11:20
I apologize if there have been more recent threads on this topic that I probably overlooked... I tried to add this question to another thread on dehydrating chicken, but quickly realized my specific question would get lost in the discussion.

I am toying with the idea of dehydrating a small batch of canned/pouch chicken for an upcoming trip. I don't have a dehydrator,so I was thinking about doing the dehydration with my oven. Yes, there is basic information online regarding this method. I was just wondering if anyone has personally done any chicken dehydration this way. Any helpful tips on chicken dehydration in the oven?

It sounds like canned is the way to go because I can use a fork to "flake" the chicken, so no moist chicken cube centers

Internet says 4-5 hours drying time - does that sound about right, or has anyone discovered that "magic" amount of time where the chicken is dry, but not burnt?

If you cut your chicken into flakes, did it rehydrate pretty fast with FBC method?

I am obviously new to this and thought I would dip my toes into the waters of dehydration, before running out to buy a dehydrator.

Thanks in advance!

Water Rat

Traveler
07-19-2015, 12:36
This can be a tough, all I can offer is, don't do it this way....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://dfc9747d-b192-4c9c-9984-d69d556d08f5/image.tiff

.... takes em a while to dry out

theoilman
07-19-2015, 13:00
The oven will be tough. It needs to be dehydrated at 165 deg, and most ovens don't control that low.
I would guess longer than your 4-5 hours, probably closer to 8 in an oven (you don't have the air circulation like you do in a dehydrator.

Water Rat
07-19-2015, 16:44
Thanks for the responses! I think I will just stick to lugging the non-dehydrated chicken for this trip.

fiddlehead
07-19-2015, 20:51
Sounds like the way I do hamburger.
I leave the oven door slightly open (like it is for broiling) to get the temp low enough.
For hamburger, I go by color (rather than timed) and THAT depends on how long I wish it to keep.
For 5 months or more, I do it very dark.
For next week, not so much.
Works for me and makes some of my favorite meals for hiking.
Just try it and see if it works.
But remember, the harder you dry it, the longer and harder it will take to rehydrate.
Good luck.

Malto
07-19-2015, 21:18
You can buy both dehydrated hamburger and chicken in #10 cans from mountainhouse. I have used these along with a variety of meals such as Hamburger helper to make some delicious meals.

Water Rat
07-19-2015, 21:44
You can buy both dehydrated hamburger and chicken in #10 cans from mountainhouse. I have used these along with a variety of meals such as Hamburger helper to make some delicious meals.

Absolutely! I have found this to be a wonderful option...

This trip just kind of came up out of the blue and I don't have the usual amount of time to throw supplies together. I just thought I might have a go at dehydrating a small batch (with the oven) if it wasn't too difficult. Sounds more time-intensive than I have time for at the moment, so I am just going to have to rough it on this trip. :)