PDA

View Full Version : In search of zip off pants with 6-inch inseam shorts

mgmtrnr
07-19-2015, 14:18
Planning 2016 SOBO thru hike.

I think I am going to need both long pants and shorts. I wear pants with a 30 inch inseam and like to wear shorts with about a 6 inch inseam and compression shorts underneath.

I plan on wearing shorts most of the time. Shorts that extend all the way to my knees like those with an 8-inch or 9-inch just aren't comfortable to me. However, with the zip off/convertible pants, I can't seem to find any with a short's inseam shorter than 8 inches.

I would rather not but if I can't find a pair of zip offs with a 6-inch inseam then I might have to pack a pair of pants and wear my 6-inch shorts.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated if someone knows if or where I could locate zip offs with a 6-inch inseam on the shorts.

Thanks...Mike

MuddyWaters
07-19-2015, 14:43
Planning 2016 SOBO thru hike.

I think I am going to need both long pants and shorts. I wear pants with a 30 inch inseam and like to wear shorts with about a 6 inch inseam and compression shorts underneath.

I plan on wearing shorts most of the time. Shorts that extend all the way to my knees like those with an 8-inch or 9-inch just aren't comfortable to me. However, with the zip off/convertible pants, I can't seem to find any with a short's inseam shorter than 8 inches.

I would rather not but if I can't find a pair of zip offs with a 6-inch inseam then I might have to pack a pair of pants and wear my 6-inch shorts.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated if someone knows if or where I could locate zip offs with a 6-inch inseam on the shorts.

Thanks...Mike

I cant help.
But your complaint, is common. The zippers rubbing around the knee area is why many dont like zip offs
It has never bothered me personally
Overweight people with larger waists tend to have the zippers be lower, even below the knee, than slimmer people.
When it gets down to it, UL hiking pants and UL runnning shorts combined, can weigh less than some zip offs
So there is a work around.
I got used to wearing long ventillated pants hiking out west for sun exposure, they dont bother me too much on the AT either, and offer better tick protection

Slo-go'en
07-19-2015, 15:48
Get zip offs for woman. I accidentally picked up a pair from the wrong rack at EMS and took me a while to figure out why the shorts were so darn short :confused: Other then that, they were identical.

Personally, I never hike in shorts, even in really hot weather. I like to protect my legs from being scratched up by brush, eaten by bugs and when properly treated, ticks.

Zach ADK
07-19-2015, 17:31
I like to wear what are sometimes sold as 'soccer shorts' which are made out of some kind of thin nylon. They are much more durable than they appear and weigh about 2 oz per pair if I remember right. I wear a medium and they mostly seem to have a 5 inch inseam, though I have had some with a 3 inch. They can be had for about $2 per pair online but the shipping is a little high unless you buy several pairs at once. Having separate shorts could be an advantage for laundry and in case of a mishap occurring to your hiking pants that renders them less than usable.
Zach

cjayflo
07-26-2015, 23:37
I Like running short With inner liner along with rail riders eco MeSh Pants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The Cleaner
07-27-2015, 15:14
IMO zip off pants/shorts are among the many items most new to hiking purchase.Then the 1st to go to the unused hiking clothes pile.......

Gambit McCrae
07-27-2015, 15:35
Pfg for the win!!!

fehchet
07-27-2015, 16:11
Royal Robins has zip off pants with 6 inch inseam.