PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on this for a thru hike? Let's talk about the trail!

BenOnAdventures
07-19-2015, 21:00
Hello fellow adventurers, I've heard many things about navigating the AT. What's your preferred way of navigating the AT? Map? Compass? GPS? or what? I've heard from people that you can punch in the AT in a GPS, is that true? If so, how would that work? Would it tell you "in 300 feet, turn right" lol? or how do those work on the trail? Thanks and let's talk!!

RangerZ
07-19-2015, 21:07
Follow the white blazes, don't over think it.

Malto
07-19-2015, 21:13
Follow the white blazes, don't over think it.

^ This. Along with the data pages from The Companion.

BenOnAdventures
07-19-2015, 21:23
Thank you both! Would you still bring topo maps of the areas or what?

Sarcasm the elf
07-19-2015, 21:26
The two posts above seem to represent the prevailing opinion these days.

Personally I like having a good Topo map and basic plate compass with me. I like knowing where I am and knowing what's around me. However I section hike, and mostly go out in the off season when the trail is often covered in leaves or snow, and there are times when it is actually easy to get off trail for sort distances, usually when the trail diverges from a local trail or rarely used fire or cart road.

If I were to do a thru hike, I would probably buy the ATC map set Georgia (or Maine as applicable) and bring it. Then when I got to the end of that map set, I'd decide if it was actually worth buying the rest of them for the hike.

I tried bringing a proper Garmin GPS years ago. It was heavy and chewed through batteries too fast to be particularly useful for A.T. hiking, it was fun to look at for a while but the GPS and it's multiple sets of AA batteries quickly wore out their welcome in my pack. I would still consider bringing it if I were doing a multi-day off trail hike, but that's about it.

They do make some decent GPS and map apps for smart phones that you might want to consider, but I know exactly nothing about them, hopefully someone who uses them can chime in.

BenOnAdventures
07-19-2015, 21:30
The two posts above seem to represent the prevailing opinion these days.

Personally I like having a good Topo map and basic plate compass with me. I like knowing where I am and knowing what's around me. However I section hike, and mostly go out in the off season when the trail is often covered in leaves or snow, and there are times when it is actually easy to get off trail for sort distances, usually when the trail diverges from a local trail or rarely used fire or cart road.

If I were to do a thru hike, I would probably buy the ATC map set Georgia (or Maine as applicable) and bring it. Then when I got to the end of that map set, I'd decide if it was actually worth buying the rest of them for the hike.

I tried bringing a proper Garmin GPS years ago. It was heavy and chewed through batteries too fast to be particularly useful for A.T. hiking, it was fun to look at for a while but the GPS and it's multiple sets of AA batteries quickly wore out their welcome in my pack. I would still consider bringing it if I were doing a multi-day off trail hike, but that's about it.

They do make some decent GPS and map apps for smart phones that you might want to consider, but I know exactly nothing about them, hopefully someone who uses them can chime in. Oh I see, thank you for your input!! I appreciate it! I was just asking because I wasn't sure about how well the white blazes were marked. For example, say when i start my thru hike next year, I didn't wanna get lost somehow in like the first few miles lol

Malto
07-19-2015, 21:41
I should also add that the "Follow the white blazes" applies to what I would consider normal thru season. If you are leaving Jan 1st for example you would likely want to have maps to be able to navigate when those little blazes are not visible. I normally will take maps during the winter on sections of the trail that I'm not familiar with.

BenOnAdventures
07-19-2015, 21:44
I should also add that the "Follow the white blazes" applies to what I would consider normal thru season. If you are leaving Jan 1st for example you would likely want to have maps to be able to navigate when those little blazes are not visible. I normally will take maps during the winter on sections of the trail that I'm not familiar with. Oh i see, thank you!! I was planning on leaving either normal thru season for a SOBO hike, do you think i'd be fine?

Venchka
07-19-2015, 22:17
In recent days or weeks there was an article here on Whiteblaze about the blazes being removed from a wilderness area along the AT. Search for it. A map & compass might come in handy there. Those 2 items are part of the 10 Essentials. You are planning to carry those, right?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Donde
07-19-2015, 22:19
As a SOBO in '13 I would say most SOBOs leaving in June and early July carried a guide book (usually The AT Guide by AWOL) and that's it. Having real maps is never a bad idea. I rather like Sarcasm's advice of getting maps for the first section and then deciding for yourself (plus it will save you money if you get hurt or quit as so many do). Also if you are gonna have maps and a compass you had best learn (if you do not already know) how to use them. Even if you know how to do land nav you should practice on your shake downs. Good luck have fun

BenOnAdventures
07-20-2015, 00:59
As a SOBO in '13 I would say most SOBOs leaving in June and early July carried a guide book (usually The AT Guide by AWOL) and that's it. Having real maps is never a bad idea. I rather like Sarcasm's advice of getting maps for the first section and then deciding for yourself (plus it will save you money if you get hurt or quit as so many do). Also if you are gonna have maps and a compass you had best learn (if you do not already know) how to use them. Even if you know how to do land nav you should practice on your shake downs. Good luck have fun Thank you, it's great hearing from you since you're a SOBO hiker! If you'd like you could follow me on my blog, twitter, instagram and youtube to keep up with my hike! But anyways, thanks again, I really do appreciate it!

wannahike
07-20-2015, 05:33
If your using a smartphone look at http://www.guthookhikes.com/apps

bigcranky
07-20-2015, 07:47
We've seen a lot of hikers using the Guthook app in the last year. The app downloads the full map, and uses your phone's GPS to locate you on the map, or on the elevation profile, so you know where you are and how far from various trail locations. Useful, as long as your battery holds out (note that recent iPhones using the new iOS can use the GPS while in Airplane Mode, making this app significantly more useful).

Beyond that, the best navigation aid IMHO is one of the thru-hiker guidebooks. I have a soft spot for the Companion, though I think most hikers prefer the AT Guide these days. Either one will work well. The guidebook tells you how far apart things are on the trail - roads, creeks, shelters, campsites -- and then tells you what's available in town for resupply, etc. Pretty much required for long distance hikers for planning purposes while on the trail.

I do have a small compass on my watch band, and it does come in handy sometimes. But for actually hiking the trail, just keep an eye on the white blazes, and pay attention to the character of the trail, and it's pretty easy to follow most places. I also like to have the topo maps, and for a thru-hike I'd probably buy and carry the three map books at this link (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3). (I wouldn't carryy all three at the same time, of course.)

wrap89
07-20-2015, 09:14
get an AT compannion and follow the white blazes, that is pretty much all one has to do.

BenOnAdventures
07-20-2015, 09:23
We've seen a lot of hikers using the Guthook app in the last year. The app downloads the full map, and uses your phone's GPS to locate you on the map, or on the elevation profile, so you know where you are and how far from various trail locations. Useful, as long as your battery holds out (note that recent iPhones using the new iOS can use the GPS while in Airplane Mode, making this app significantly more useful).

Beyond that, the best navigation aid IMHO is one of the thru-hiker guidebooks. I have a soft spot for the Companion, though I think most hikers prefer the AT Guide these days. Either one will work well. The guidebook tells you how far apart things are on the trail - roads, creeks, shelters, campsites -- and then tells you what's available in town for resupply, etc. Pretty much required for long distance hikers for planning purposes while on the trail.

I do have a small compass on my watch band, and it does come in handy sometimes. But for actually hiking the trail, just keep an eye on the white blazes, and pay attention to the character of the trail, and it's pretty easy to follow most places. I also like to have the topo maps, and for a thru-hike I'd probably buy and carry the three map books at this link (http://postholer.com/mapbooks/index.php?trail_id=3). (I wouldn't carryy all three at the same time, of course.) Okay thank you i really appreciate you replying in such great detail. This is super helpful!

DavidNH
07-20-2015, 10:13
follow the white blazes and bring the AT data book. Map and compass aren't necessary on the AT.

Starchild
07-20-2015, 11:43
This is the general order I used:

-White Blazes*
-Visual indications of a hiking trail*
-AWOL Guide pages*
-Communication with other hikers about difficult to follow sections (reroutes, etc.) *
-Guthook AT App (really a older program that did the same thing)
-AWOL Guide PDF
-Google Maps
-Sun's position
-Trailhead maps posted on a bulletin board, perhaps photographed.
-Digital Compass
-Companion PDF
-Magnetic compass*

The one's marked with a * is all that is really needed IMHO.

Also some were just conveniences such as AWOL's guide on a smartphone app/, digital compass.

Grampie
07-20-2015, 12:19
Leave all that electronic crap home and just follow the white blazes, like thousands have done before you. Believe me, you will enjoy your hike more.

BenOnAdventures
07-20-2015, 12:27
This is the general order I used:

-White Blazes*
-Visual indications of a hiking trail*
-AWOL Guide pages*
-Communication with other hikers about difficult to follow sections (reroutes, etc.) *
-Guthook AT App (really a older program that did the same thing)
-AWOL Guide PDF
-Google Maps
-Sun's position
-Trailhead maps posted on a bulletin board, perhaps photographed.
-Digital Compass
-Companion PDF
-Magnetic compass*

The one's marked with a * is all that is really needed IMHO.

Also some were just conveniences such as AWOL's guide on a smartphone app/, digital compass. Thank you I appreciate your contribution!!

BenOnAdventures
07-20-2015, 12:28
Leave all that electronic crap home and just follow the white blazes, like thousands have done before you. Believe me, you will enjoy your hike more. That's what I'm gonna do! Thank you!!

Hangfire
07-20-2015, 14:16
White blazes, AWOL, wrist watch...

NoSew
07-20-2015, 21:44
Two good eyes and a decent brain will get you from one end to the other. Enjoy the hike!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
07-20-2015, 22:24
One other thing to consider is that if you choose to only navigate by looking at a guidebook and following the white blazes, then when you're done all you will have learned (with regards to orienteering) is how to read a guidebook and follow white blazes. Just a thought.

Singto
07-21-2015, 01:06
Download the AWOL guide onto your smart phone and get hiking. The paper AWOL guide actually weighs more than new many affordable 7" tablets/smartphones so with the added benefits of a multi-use tablet /smartphone, seems like a good option to me if you know how to operate, maintain and keep your device charged. I've looked at the free Gut Hook Guide app and it looked good but to buy the entire trail is $$$.....unless I'm not looking the right place(s).

winger
07-21-2015, 11:05
Oh I see, thank you for your input!! I appreciate it! I was just asking because I wasn't sure about how well the white blazes were marked. For example, say when i start my thru hike next year, I didn't wanna get lost somehow in like the first few miles lol

You're going to do a thru hike and haven't even been on the trail? Otherwise you would know how well the trail is marked.

QiWiz
07-27-2015, 16:55
I will/would have an iPhone with me anyway, so with no additional weight penalty I use [1] the Gaia GPS app including downloaded USGS topo maps and a downloaded track of the AT with shelters that requires no cellular connection to use and [2] the digital version of the AT Guide. Neither is critical to AT hiking success but it can be nice to know exactly where you are (Gaia GPS) and how far to next water, shelter, town, landmark, etc (AT Guide). Not carrying unnecessary extra water is worth the trouble IMO, even if there were no other benefits.

Grampie
07-28-2015, 09:24
The big problem is keeping the iphone charged. You have to continuely go into a town and find a elec. outlet and when you do you have to sit around waiting for it to charge. So will several other hikers.