PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car as Shuttle?

flyfisher
07-19-2015, 21:22
I've been working my way up the AT, northbound for 12 years now, a hundred mile hike every year or so. My next section is from Greenwood Lake, NY to Kent, CT. I called several shuttle drivers and they were all a bit far from my intended section. One mentioned that the real problem was that I was starting on one side of the Hudson river and ending on the other side. They knew of no one that frequently provided shuttles in the area. Taking a bus into downtown NY and then back out to CT seemed like a long way around the problem.

I mapped out a way to bicycle shuttle myself and my truck up the trail, but some of the roads looked dicy for a bicycle.

Then it occurred to me that renting a car near Kent and turning it in later that day near Greenwood Lake might make sense. Cost is not prohibitive (about $100) and at least one company says they will pick me up and deliver me on each end to the trail.

I don't think I have previously read about anyone doing this. As close as I have gotten to it was to rent a car at the end of a section near in Virginia and drive back home to Ohio. Is it common? Am I not thinking through some obvious problem? Seems obvious to do this. Why is it not more common?

fiddlehead
07-19-2015, 22:48
If you can do what you want for under $100.
I'd go for it.
However, most car rental companies charge you (a lot) extra for a one way rental.
They either have to pay someone to drive it back, or, charge you as if they would anyway.
Make sure they know it is a one way rental before making your decision and paying the money.
Once you get there, you may find out different.

I must say I've found this out about car rental people. If you are nice to them, smile, and say you totally understand, when they tell you policy, sometimes they will bend the rules in your favor.
They are not used to being treated this way and do enjoy it.
Not saying all, just be warned that it might not go as smooth as you thought.
Good luck!

ps. that is a very expensive part of the world.

flyfisher
07-20-2015, 03:22
Thanks Fiddlehead. The Enterprise (I'm not affiliated in any way) website says the rental is about $38 and the one way drop off is $50. Taxes brings it up to just over $100. Looks like there are pick-up and drop off points within 7 miles each end, if I amend my northern point to Gaylordsville. I'll report back how it worked out in mid August.

pablo081002
07-20-2015, 17:26
Bugdet has always been my go to, I have had some bad experiences with Enterprise changing the rules at the last minute. Just a warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk