PDA

View Full Version : What In The Heck? A Thesis On Modern Trail Anxiety

g00gle
07-20-2015, 07:35
I have been dodging any reply in many of the more unfortunate threads about the trail (and sadly, I keep finding more and more of them.) It seems that there is no end to the string of abuses, lunacy, and disrespect that is occurring on the trail. Sure, there will always be a few bad apples, but it seems that reading threads from just a few years old to the present show a terrifically disturbing trend.

For all of you past-thru's and section-vet's, I'm sure the results (and the actions that led to them) are disturbing on many levels. However, speaking as a "thru-in-planning" (2016) things like those suck even harder for some people (like myself) who have been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, only to see more and more pieces of our dream chipped away every year through a combination of unfortunate circumstances and arrogant, selfish, jack-asses!

I haven't kept up with a lot of news and happenings until just recently when my dream became a real possibility. In the last week I've read about the closing of the Blueberry patch (actually unclear on this one, but sad I'm going to miss the experience), the closing of the Palmerton Jailhouse, and the issues at BSP with AT hikers, just to name a few... In just one week my list of hopeful and suggested trail highlights has been whittled down just a little more. I'm actually afraid to do much more reading because I'm not sure I even want to know how much else I will find. Perhaps I should just log out and come back next year to see what's actually left to do or see along my hike.

Recently I found myself sitting in stunned silence after reading a guide (an actual full-blown tutorial) about how to be good guest if someone is blessed enough to be taken in for the evening by someone along the trail. Topics such as not washing your laundry in their shower, not playing your guitar at 3am, and not rummaging through their dresser drawers or closets are just a few of the many topics covered. Holy crap, these things even need to be said, much less provided in a succinct tutorial? If you need such a tutorial then you probably should never have even been allowed to leave your own house! Yet, the above issues and many more are apparently prevalent enough that they need to be pointed out.

Over the last week I have actually considered devising a hiking strategy based upon outpacing animosity. How sad is that? Yup, instead of pondering epic views and experiencing wonderful times my thoughts have begun morphing in to, "How can I get there before somebody else pisses them off this year?" or "How many places can I visit before somebody screws it up this year?" There will always be bad apples and even some who just don't know any better because they never bothered to visit a place like WB before setting out on their adventure. But 2016 will be different in yet another (possibly disturbing) regard... We now can add to all of the above -- getting lumped in to a movie-going, possibly misguided, probably ill-informed, wave of lost souls that assume Sony Pictures (or whoever) to be their destinal guide or the harbinger of truly great ideas, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Everyday I get more anxious about this odyssey of mine. But it's not the same trepidation that many of the trail vets would recognize, i.e., bears, serial killers, and the tactical deployment of 514 precisely planned mail drops. What should be a beautiful montage of research, planning, and daydreaming has turned in to a sense of urgency and desperation to arrive while the trail itself still exists. My thoughts are daily turning more along the lines of wondering if BSP will even let me in next year or how many more significant trail attractions will be gone by then or should I wear a t-shirt proclaiming that I planned this trip long before some movie was made?

I understand that gossip, hyperbole, and sensationalism will always abound in any given topic of conversation. However, I'm not entirely sure that my current fears and dismay are unfounded today. Highlights of the trail are actually closing, people and towns are getting more and more irritated, and the population of inconsiderate (unwitting) trail stewards seems to be increasing every year.

I suppose this rant could have been posted by anyone within any period of time since the trail's inception. But this just happens to be the year I'm actually planning in. And also the year that Redford is scheduled to part the green sea. It seems I can only hope and pray to precede the masses of 2016 and hurry myself along to see or experience whatever is left of the trail before it finally devolves in to a 2,200 mile interstate path.

I expect the standard replies, agreements, criticisms, and irrelevant observations that naturally follow any posting of thought or opinion within an area of public discourse. But I'm also hoping and praying with every fiber of my being that some of the current and near-future visitors to that ephemeral green zone of love and beauty will find this posting at some point in time and maybe give just a little extra consideration to the actions they take and the impressions they leave behind.

~ Finis ~

illabelle
07-20-2015, 08:41
Wow, Google, what a post!
It was very exciting to follow SJ's NOBO journey to Katahdin...but that was quickly followed by a series of still-active but tiring threads about the consequences of the publicity surrounding his record-setting pace, the rule-breaking at the summit, whether or not he dropped a cork, and how and when BSP will eventually deal with their frustrations.
The euphoria over SJ's triumph has been squashed, replaced with depression and resignation.
Like you, I'm thinking of how I need to modify our plans so that we don't get locked out of places we want to visit. Our 10-year section hike was supposed to end with the big climb at the northern terminus. But maybe we need to get that over with next year while we still can - IF we still can.

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 08:44
You will find the vast majority of hikers to be reasonable and thoughtful. Unfortunately the minority is very loud. The nice majority does not want to make waves and the unreasonable minority will not be squelched. As you have seen in the other threads, if you try to reason with the fringe you will be assailed with red herrings and details that have nothing to do with fixing anything. The minority will eventually ruin it for the majority and in the process blame the majority for being prudes. The majority seems to have adopted a short term solution Hezekiah attitude (see 2 Kings 20:19 if you are interested in the meaning). I care about the long term. It is not enough that I got to see it. The closing hostels are just a harbinger of things to come. My advise. Get out there soon. You won't see a ton of troublemakers. They are not that common. Their damage is great. Not enough are willing to stand up to them. Therefore, it won't last. Get out there soon. For my part, I gave up on those threads. They are all on ignore.

Now I await the pithy and constructive "Oh brother".

Busky2
07-20-2015, 08:45
Dude you need to get outdoors pronto! Try SOBO or maybe do as I do and try section leapfrogging keeps me in the season away from the bubbles and in good graces with the trail.

mak1277
07-20-2015, 10:28
If I felt like you did, I would be asking myself "why the AT?". Is the AT itself your goal, or can you be satisfied doing something else (PCT, CDT or something even less popular/populated)?

Old Hiker
07-20-2015, 12:07
G00gle, you have nailed what I've been railing to my computer screen for quite a while. I think SOME of the people who excuse any behavior are just trolling, but if you look at a lot of the ages, it seems (Socrates was right !!!) the younger you are, the more apt to allow anything and everything just because.

I tried to avoid shelters and hostels because I snore badly (or very well, depending on your point of view) and I can't sleep around other people snoring. However, I WOULD have liked to stop in at several hostels, just to say "Hi" and "Thank you" to the owners.

My (our?) T-shirt should read:
1. Been planning since 1980
2. Raised right - I'm polite
3. Not entitled, just grateful
4. I can afford it - been saving - Thanks anyway

I'm starting 29 Feb 2016 - hope to see you or be passed by you on the Trail

sbhikes
07-20-2015, 12:49
If I felt like you did, I would be asking myself "why the AT?". Is the AT itself your goal, or can you be satisfied doing something else (PCT, CDT or something even less popular/populated)?

I think a similar thing is happening on the PCT as well. One of the long-time PCT trail angels was telling my mom (who is also a trail angel) that he thinks the era of hosting hikers in your house is coming to an end. I heard that an RV resort in So Cal has also said they won't host hikers anymore and cited bad hiker behavior for the reason. In my own experiences on the PCT -- I section hike a little every year -- it seems that trail culture is changing and that I don't really like the trail culture anymore, if I ever did. Individuals I meet are great, but there's a culture out there I'm not too interested in being a part of.

Ondine
07-20-2015, 13:08
I had basically the same conversation with my friend this past weekend while hiking at Frozen Head (its puurty). Since he had no understanding of the situation he actually gave me some great perspective. Try not to get sucked up into the tornado of negativity that's occasionally here on WB or think you have to prove that you are or aren't anything to anyone.

We are all so incredibly lucky to have the time and resources to be able to hike. Especially those of us who have worked and saved and sacrificed for a such an awesome life experience. There are going to be an inevitable number of turds on the trail, teach them if they will listen, ignore them if they won't, and forget them when they are gone. Don't let the negative things you read color your view. It really is a beautiful trail, people can be and mostly are incredibly nice and giving, boy scouts are not the devils spawn, Baxter state park isn't officially closed as of yet, and while some places have closed think of all the other places that aren't. Be a good patron and help keep them open.

So put your perfect montage music on and get back to planning things that will bring you joy.

And your T-shirt idea isn't half bad.. I bet they would sell like sweet tea in 100 degree weather :) (I would like mine in black please)

Tuckahoe
07-20-2015, 13:13
In my experience when it comes to cyber hiking it's easy to get worked up and the undies in a bunch over in inconsequential minutiae, and then discuss and debate it to death.

Hiking on the AT is quite a different reality than that painted here.

Sarcasm the elf
07-20-2015, 13:35
In my experience when it comes to cyber hiking it's easy to get worked up and the undies in a bunch over in inconsequential minutiae, and then discuss and debate it to death.

This. Just start hiking, it really is nice out there.

Mags
07-20-2015, 13:41
) that he thinks the era of hosting hikers in your house is coming to an end. I heard that an RV resort in So Cal has also said they won't host hikers anymore and cited bad hiker behavior for the reason.

I tend to agree. Look for private businesses to take over...if, like the RV resort, do not get sick of hiker shenanigans.

Venchka
07-20-2015, 13:53
The CDT. SOBO. Before it is too late.

Wayne
Looking toward the Rockies more and more.

Nodust
07-20-2015, 14:02
I just spent a few days hiking the trail in Maine and New Hampshire. All the thru hikers we met were extremely nice and polite.

From what I saw the trail and thru hikers are cool. I would be happy to spend 5 months walking with them.

Hangfire
07-20-2015, 14:14
If I were you I'd stay away from the blogs and any threads that look controversial and concentrate on "gear questions" and "mental and physical preparation" threads. As a worrier myself I got through the pre hike anxieties by not committing to the hike until a month before hand then frantically getting my supplies together and not giving my self enough time to be anxious. There are a million different options on the trail, you can drive yourself nuts worrying about them, don't even worry about hostels or sight seeing along the trail, you will experience a lifetime of memories regardless of what you read!

Another Kevin
07-20-2015, 14:17

That it is, fortunately! But I do tend to get worked up every time I hear of a hostel closing, or a quota system being proposed, or a trail easement lost. Dang it, I miss the view from Roemer High Point! (A lovely spot on a trail near here, where a landowner not only closed a trail but in so doing cut off trail access to a shelter on state land. Now that section is a nasty roadwalk without camping opportunites.)

Sometimes, we lose these things because of the bad behaviour of a vanishingly small minority of us. Just as often, it's simply because we're too numerous. I've been unconsciously avoiding the A-T lately simply because there are other places where the whole experience suits my temperament better (mostly because the people are fewer). I therefore wind up shouldering my share of the blame for the behaviour of the too-large horde of hikers. I am off hiking where it's quiet, rather than educating the hordes.

And yes, enjoy our treasure - respectfully - while it's still there. Because someday soon it won't be. It's being assaulted from many directions (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/opinion/our-land-up-for-grabs.html), and I don't think we have the power to hold the fort.

Dogwood
07-20-2015, 14:51

Again, this! Do not buy into all the naysaying and negative down talking and endless circular whining of self appointed pundits. Be aware you'll encounter more than a few right here on WB! They are on the trail too. They have been here throughout eternity. YOU NEED to overcome that low energy negative vibration to joyfully carry yourself forward on a thru-hike. Understand, the negativity often comes from ignorance - people who are not or have no experience as runners/ultra runners harshly criticizing those that are and what positives they can contribute, those who don't understand the GOODNESSS that thru-hikers and thru-hiking CAN represent making harsh dramatic blanket generalizations of all thru-hikers, those who aren't intimately involved with the management of BSP being harshly critical of BSP management, etc.

Lately, it seems everywhere in the main stream media someone is whining about something. Worse still is that the masses are tuning into this negativity low energy vibration allowing themselves to further be dragged into the whirlwind.

There is an antidote to being carried away in this negative energy. Approach your thru-hike in the moment finding ways to always be appreciative and grateful while demonstrating humility, patience, and tolerance walking in joy. You'll find as you remove yourself from a good amount of the world's system of fear, unbelief, and negativity by being on trail you'll have greater opportunities to sober up from this crap. You'll start seeing and thinking more clearly. This is one the most wonderful opportunities of a thru-hike! Take advantage of it!

YOU direct what you focus on. What you mainly focus on holding in your mind is what will be your reality. The greater you focus on all this negativity the more negativity you will notice while missing out on all the GOOD THINGS a thru-hike and Thru-Hikers can represent! You design your thru-hike the way you want. YOU consciously direct the state of your being. Don't cede it over to the mass negativity by default.

Here's a heartfelt suggestion I ask you to consider. Don't approach your thru-hike with apprehension and anxiety. Approach it with joy as a great opportunity to let your light shine. YOU can make a positive difference. Let your thru-hike represent NOT something as being a selfish endeavor but seek to unselfishly contribute. Seek to make the trail a better place. Seek to build up rather than tear down. Seek to encourage and inspire. Build bridges where you can. Look to heal rather than maim. Offer hope and wisdom rather than despair and ignorance. Increasingly FOCUS on developing and promoting these attributes and not only will you find yourself changing for the better but you'll also be changing the world for the better. Thru-hiking, and LIFE, is a wonderous opportunity IF YOU want it to be!

Wülfgang
07-20-2015, 15:00
I've only hiked small sections of the AT in NH, but none of this has dissuaded me from keeping my thru hike (or long section hike) dream alive. Forums are great at times but things get blown out of proportion.

If anything I learned I should go SOBO and avoid shelters, or just hike outside the bubble.

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 15:00
And yes, enjoy our treasure - respectfully - while it's still there. Because someday soon it won't be. It's being assaulted from many directions (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/opinion/our-land-up-for-grabs.html), and I don't think we have the power to hold the fort.

I loath to disagree. As you have said many times, we likely are in violent agreement. I tend to believe we have the power to hold the fort. We cede that power every time we allow the fringe to have a seat at the table. I am convinced that the majority of hikers do the right thing. However, the minority goes unchecked because we turn a blind eye and don't make waves. Furthermore, I believe the majority of land owners, towns, and authorities are wiling to share. Because we tolerate the fringe, the previously mentioned groups are giving up tolerating the fringe. Each immature entitlement post should be met with 100 voices of reason. If it were, we would hold the fort. It appears the fort is not worth holding. I hear your voice. Like I say, we agree. Not enough do though. We can smile and pretend it is fine. Hostels are closing. Land owners are posting their land. Trail towns are getting peeved. There is a reason for this. Norman Vincent Peale is not going to fix this and only an ostrich thinks it does not need fixing.

Dogwood
07-20-2015, 15:25
If you're a Thru-hiker in planning I strongly suggest you read this: http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/THP_top.html
It can make the difference from a medicare it's all about me possibly failed thru-hike or something that you and others can be inspired by.

Plenty of folks make it to the anticipated terminus of their hikes yet could have been more successful in many aspects.

Dogwood
07-20-2015, 15:27
not medicare ----- mediocre

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 15:39
Another good post g00gle....Here is my take...You have GOOD reason to have anxiety about these things, but the truth is that it doesn't matter my friend. Plenty of the people on here are gonna disagree with you (even though I am NOT one of them) and it's because they wish to continue doing things the way that they do. There is a LOT of taboo that goes on on the trail. That taboo DOES leave a bad taste in the mouth of many businesses and I am sure in 2016, it will be no different. HOWEVER, keep in mind what we have spoke about in email. Many people will find people like you and I BAD for the trail. I have been listening to these people tell me that for 3 years. You know what happened once I got on the trail? PERFECTION! The people out there are GREAT and respectful. It's the internet hikers on their couch that typically make things crappy for the community in general. ON THE TRAIL, people try to show the respect that is needed. They take their trash (for the most part), they respect others sleeping, and in general are great people.

However, the world of taboo STILL exists. This taboo DOES leave a bad taste in people's mouths, but at the end of the day, many of these businesses THRIVE because of the trail and only still exist because of the hiking season. With that said, even if someone closes or stops accommodating hikers, someone else will swoop in and start a new business. Hell, the only reason that I haven't started a business in Georgia near the trail is because there are already so many.

Now, don't listen to these people that tell you not to have "anxiety" from your computer before your hike. You should, but you should also be cognoscente of the reality. The reality is that most hikers out on that trail are good people and you will have the time of your life. Waiting to hike in order to see what's left after this year is cheating yourself my friend. I WILL see you on that trail this year. Do NOT let this anxiety stop you. You know what's gonna be there in 2017? Everything that was there in 2016....If BSP wants to alienate the Appalachian Trail, let them...Who really cares? The Appalachian Trail has been a gold mine for many of these businesses and even the national parks. They are constantly looking for reasons to CHARGE us more money anyways. What's the best way to do that? Act like hikers are burning down the joint so to speak. I would not be surprised if Baxter starts charging $50 to summit Khatadin just to make some money off of this SJ thing.

These businesses and entities on the trail will ALWAYS look for ways to make money. The easiest way for them to do that is to act as if hikers are doing something wrong. My advice is to get out there and hike this thing before they actually start charging us daily rates to hike the trail...lol...It's a capitalism based society (which I am glad it is) and these entities will always look for a way to capitalize. BSP knows that MANY PEOPLE have celebrated on top of Khatadin with alcohol. I have probably seen hundreds of pics or videos depicting such. But, because SJ had a media following, a big deal is NOW being made about what he did.

Don't let that crap get to you...Keep planning bro...I am here if ya need me as I also plan for my return to the trail. This was a very good post and a great read. Keep posting like this....Don't listen to the people that try to SILENCE you because you haven't been out there yet. They can sit and say "You dont know the trail until youve been out there" and they are somewhat right. However, that doesn't mean that you cant have anxiety or ask these questions. A lot of these people forget when they just were getting started and were asking these questions...

The trail and the hikers are much better off than people say it is...Trust me, you will see once you get out there. It's a magical place with great people...The truth is that the trail takes care of itself. All of the weirdos or criminals get exposed in time and eventually get plucked or kicked off the trail. You will meet people that you THINK is weird and bad for the trail, but they will end up being great and fun to be around. The hiker community on the trail is pretty well behaved. Just like in regular society, you are gonna have a few people with a crappy agenda. The trail takes care of them on it's own.

skater
07-20-2015, 17:25
... It's being assaulted from many directions (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/02/opinion/our-land-up-for-grabs.html), and I don't think we have the power to hold the fort.

On the contrary, we, a motivated and educated group of people, are the ONLY force that can save the trails we love. Join the ATC, and/or join a local club to help maintain the trail. Take a course in Leave No Trace principles. Preach the principles to others. Thank a hostel owner and make them feel appreciated. Watch for proposed laws that impact the trails and press your legislators with your point of view. Take your kids hiking and teach them to care for the land.

No force on earth will prevent change, but we have the power to make change a positive force.

Donde
07-20-2015, 17:32
Just SOBO dude, I've done it both ways, and SOBO is so much better. Also don't expect anything better on the PCT those less people are concentrated in a smaller bubble, and the a-holes are out in full force at least as of Campo-Bishop this May-July

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 17:35
On the contrary, we, a motivated and educated group of people, are the ONLY force that can save the trails we love. Join the ATC, and/or join a local club to help maintain the trail. Take a course in Leave No Trace principles. Preach the principles to others. Thank a hostel owner and make them feel appreciated. Watch for proposed laws that impact the trails and press your legislators with your point of view. Take your kids hiking and teach them to care for the land.

No force on earth will prevent change, but we have the power to make change a positive force.

I believe AK has done most if not all of those things. I know he played a role at the DOC for a bit. He hikes with his daughter. He imparts knowledge. He is familiar with and practices LNT. I am not sure what clubs he supports. I agree, we can. AK is certainly on our side.

Sarcasm the elf
07-20-2015, 17:50

I hope you read the article he linked.

Lone Wolf
07-20-2015, 18:02
Just SOBO dude, I've done it both ways, and SOBO is so much better. Also don't expect anything better on the PCT those less people are concentrated in a smaller bubble, and the a-holes are out in full force at least as of Campo-Bishop this May-July

agree. go SOBO young man. much better trip

Deadeye
07-20-2015, 21:05

Agreed, and most of the "problems" can be avoided by not camping in shelters, and skipping the party joints.
Why a couple of hostels were on your "must see" list is totally beyond me.

Malto
07-20-2015, 21:27
If you a bit creative you can avoid most of what many here complain about. Don't let the over examination on WB deter you from positive thoughts of you hike. When there are dozens of pages of POST Scott FKT analysis and debates, it is proof that many here need to go for an extended hike. As for your hike, if you expect negative, you will see it around every tree.

Another Kevin
07-20-2015, 22:08
it is proof that many here need to go for an extended hike.

Hey, I resemble that remark! (And my knee is still not up to snuff from a couple of weeks ago, so I'm stuck in town waiting to heal, or I'd be out hiking instead of being a curmudgeon on WhiteBlaze.)

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 22:30
Hey, I resemble that remark! (And my knee is still not up to snuff from a couple of weeks ago, so I'm stuck in town waiting to heal, or I'd be out hiking instead of being a curmudgeon on WhiteBlaze.)

Ever heard of multitasking?

MuddyWaters
07-20-2015, 22:38
You are concerned with the "attractions" along the trail, and whether they will be there.

Do you even care about the hiking? Solitude? Nature?

That is the problem

The trail has become about the "attractions" . It is a circus in some ways.

And thats the problem.

The "attractions" and fun, attract a lot of people to hike, for the wrong reasons.

Reasons the trails was NOT created for.

TearDrop1776
07-21-2015, 14:52
You are concerned with the "attractions" along the trail, and whether they will be there.

Do you even care about the hiking? Solitude? Nature?

That is the problem

The trail has become about the "attractions" . It is a circus in some ways.

And thats the problem.

The "attractions" and fun, attract a lot of people to hike, for the wrong reasons.

Reasons the trails was NOT created for.

While I agree with you that the nature and walk itself should be one's TOP reason for going, that doesn't change the fact that the attractions DO matter. Why do you think this website even exists? The AT has become bigger than it would have EVER been without the attractions in my opinion. Trail Towns, Hostels, White Blaze.net, and many other "attractions" that are here based on the trail are what adds to the experience. I mean even the smallest attractions such as being able to order a Pizza at Partnership Shelter....Those things matter to many of us because they are legit "experiences"...Does eating a 1/2 gallon of ice cream matter in real life? Nope...But on the trail it does. The AT was created for whatever reason it was created, but EVERYTHING evolves. The AT still provides the solitude, hike, and nature. However, it has become a civilization within a civilization now. That is something that will NEVER change. Who's to say that isn't the direction that it is supposed to go? Hell, I hope they build an amusement park near the trail somewhere...lol

I do agree with you however that many people seem to forget the reason that they originally intended to go out there.

I personally just don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" reason. There are people out there just to get away from society or just to think about changing their lives. There are people there to film a documentary. There are people there to meet new people. There are people that just simply what the accomplishment of hiking 2,200 miles. Hell, there are people out there doing this just because they are now homeless for some reason. I don't think there is a "RIGHT" reason to go. As long as people respect the trail and the wildlife, I could care less what REASON people have.

Dogwood
07-21-2015, 20:07
"...the attractions DO matter. Why do you think this website even exists? The AT has become bigger than it would have EVER been without the attractions in my opinion. Trail Towns, Hostels, White Blaze.net, and many other "attractions" that are here based on the trail are what adds to the experience. I mean even the smallest attractions such as being able to order a Pizza at Partnership Shelter....Those things matter to many of us because they are legit "experiences"...

That's what I say! This website exists because caring thru-hikers that came before you can point them out so here goes. As you walk out of Duncannon across the Juniata River Bridge at the HWY 322/HWY22 junction(this is the AT!) look left. Aim for the neon lights and beat up late model vehicles in the parking lot. You HAVE ARRIVED at Big Tiki's Pleasyour Shop(an adult book store) and Mike D's fantasy Club(a bar/strip joint). Just don't tell em Dogwood sent ya or you'll get thrown out to the curb. :cool

Singto
07-21-2015, 20:35
The few ruining it for the majority is not exclusive to hiking. It is pervasive throughout our society and it isn't just the minority wrongdoers' fault. Every time a few people do something wrong the media jump on it, sensationalize it and blow it way out of proportion. So much so that the feeble thinkers fall into the "we need to make a law" trap thinking they are doing something good but are actually punishing the great majority because of the statistically miniscule few. It is also a far less resistant path for those trying to impose their agenda upon others and the majority just sits by quietly in their PC world trying not to offend, quite silly when you think about it. A few people over the course of a few years decide to act upon the evil they have within themselves and the opportunists believe it's time to exploit the situation and punish or restrict the freedoms and liberties of the other thousands, if not millions, just because it's what they believe is best for everyone. Of course the AT and other trails are full of polite, gracious and respectful people but just as is the case at any shelter.....all it takes is one entitlement moron to wreak havoc while the other 10 people stand by frozen in their PC world. It's a reflection of the status of our society as a whole, get used to it.