PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Notch versus TT Moment

English Stu
07-20-2015, 08:22
I have the TT Moment and a chance of a TT Notch. How good is the Notch.
In the UK summer I use a Six Moons Wild Oasis but strangely I find with guylines the footprint is large and sometimes it is difficult to find a suitable camp spot. I know the Moment is easier to site and to erect and I use it later in the Season. I would sell the Moment if the Notch is as good.

Franco
07-20-2015, 08:34
The footprint of those two is almost identical, including using the guylines on both.
The first version of the Moment ,in particular, has a larger floor area, the floor of the Moment DW (Double Wall) is a bit smaller but still wider than the Notch.
The Notch has larger vestibules and can have all four side panels fully open.
franco@tarptent

Franco
07-20-2015, 08:42
Forgot to mention...
In the Moment product page there is a video comparing the Moment with the Notch and the Strato Spire 1.
The Notch and Moment are set up next to each other so you should be able to see how the Notch compares to yours.
(the fly of the Moment and Moment DW are of the same size)

English Stu
07-20-2015, 09:03
Thanks Franco, it is a great video. I like my Moment but I want save a bit of weight and improve on the Wild Oasis; that keeps out the bugs but if they are about you have to zip up and lose any views.

Franco
07-20-2015, 20:00
The Notch is great for views , with or without the mesh inner.
You can open one panel at a time , so you can chose which and how many.

English Stu
07-23-2015, 10:43
I know have the Notch which is great. I have only put it up the once, any tips on getting the inner taught. Looks as if I need to experiment with the end struts and find out which piece of end cord I should be pulling first. I have the TT Moment and am not to good with the ends with that.

bigcranky
07-23-2015, 12:03
I had the original Moment, and it was a great tent. But if I were buying one now, I would get the Notch. (1) two doors, two vestibules, much more ventilation and storage out of the weather. (2) uses trekking poles I am carrying anyway, so I save the pole weight. (3) if it matters to you, the double wall design has some advantages.

Franco
07-23-2015, 18:43
Stu,
There is a Notch set up video in the product page.
Watch carefully how Henry sets up one end and then how he adjusts that to get it taut later on in the video , at about 1:40.
Always start with those corner tie outs (the cords that form the triangle) FULLY extended .
Stake one end down, go to the other end, don't pull the fly taut, leave some slack in the middle, set that end then add the poles.
At this point if the shelter is not taut (it probably will not be...) grab one of those end triangles , lift it off the ground and pull it towards you (Henry does something like that at 1:33 in the video) then re-stake if possible.
Better to re-stake than just to pull the tie-outs because than you have plenty of play with those tie-outs if and when the tent sags when it gets cold.

This is how I do it :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJa5Mc36n7U

FamilyGuy
07-23-2015, 20:49
I am a simpleton, but I look at it this way. If you use trekking poles then you buy the Notch. If you don't you buy the Moment.

Glad I could help.

Franco
07-23-2015, 21:07
Some do use the Notch with substitute poles (I suggest our 12.4mm Vertical Support poles for that) but because the Moment now also has two entry points the major difference is pretty much down to using trekking poles or not.
BTW if you look at the above photo of the Notch with the 4 panels open, you can see how that is a nice feature for a warm afternoon nap in a bug prone area.
(it has been for me...)

Venchka
07-23-2015, 21:49
Franco, I don't see those poles on the web site. Do you have any details or know how to order them? I need a tent for the trail and bike touring. I also didn't see seam sealing mentioned anywhere. Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Franco
07-23-2015, 23:03
Venchka,
The poles I mentioned are listed under Extras.
If you want to get TT to seam seal the shelter for you the link for it is in the FAQ under Seam Sealing

Venchka
07-23-2015, 23:13
Thank you should much.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

English Stu
07-28-2015, 06:22
Thanks again Franco,I get the idea.
My Notch has the partial solid interior. On the subject if taughtness I did see post somewhere that a carry of some lightweight pegs or some found twigs to push out the tape, outwards a little,to the end angle pieces helps. I could see that when I put mine up. No doubt practice would make that unnecessary.