PDA

View Full Version : Anyone back on the trail after failed attempts?

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 15:10
Hey, whats going on guys? I know there are a lot of first timers here and that's cool. However, I was wondering if there were OTHER people that will be BACK on the trail in order to thru-hike after failed attempts in the past. I actually failed TWICE last year due to injuries and real life (no excuses, just facts)...Anyone else trying to make a second run at it or even a third?

Coffee
07-20-2015, 15:32
PCT SOBO starting early-mid July 2016 after doing ~900 miles NOBO this year. Doing the entire trail next year, not just the parts I haven't done.

bemental
07-20-2015, 15:40
I attempted my first thru (NOBO) of the AT this year as I was retiring from the military, life totally got in the way of my hike. Made it from Springer --> Fontana before the Veterans Affairs people were threatening to send a search party out after me (they're getting pretty intense about making sure injured vets transferring from active duty get into the VA health care system lickety split).

I've got PTSD and a Traumatic Brain Injury from service. Being out on the trail really helps my conditions big time.

Since then I've hiked over 500 miles of the trail as a section hiker, fine tuning and paring down my gear requirements. I was also selected for an charity walk taking place this fall - the Walking with the Wounded's Walk of Britain (http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/walkofbritain2015/) - so I've been using my time out on the trail to prepare for that as well.

Currently planning to reattempt in 2016, without my service dog. It adds a lot of stress on me (surprisingly?) having to take care of him, plus I don't think it was really in it for the long haul (although he put up with it swimmingly).

Sly
07-20-2015, 15:40
On the AT I ran out of money halfway through, got a hitch back home, went back to work and back on the trail only to get injured. I finished the following year. On the PCT I ran out of money halfway through, went home and back to work to finish the following year. On the CDT, I saved double what I thought I needed and completed the trail in one season.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 15:42
PCT SOBO starting early-mid July 2016 after doing ~900 miles NOBO this year. Doing the entire trail next year, not just the parts I haven't done.

Same here...gotta restart the entire thru....Congrats on your decision to return. Good luck with this hike!

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 15:43
Not thru related. However, my plan of doing the Vermont AT and The Long Trail this year failed after a 45 mike shakedown from NH to the Maine JCT. Instead, I am finishing the 48 4000' hills of NH. I do not view this fact as a failure. Do your best. It is all you can do. When that is done, that is a success regardless of the goal. Vermont will have to wait. I got 3 hills last weekend. I have 15 remaining that I will get over a 9 day vacation coming right up. I can hardly wait. Back to your walk. Given your signature and your history, I would bet you make it next year.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 15:44
I attempted my first thru (NOBO) of the AT this year as I was retiring from the military, life totally got in the way of my hike. Made it from Springer --> Fontana before the Veterans Affairs people were threatening to send a search party out after me (they're getting pretty intense about making sure injured vets transferring from active duty get into the VA health care system lickety split).

I've got PTSD and a Traumatic Brain Injury from service. Being out on the trail really helps my conditions big time.

Since then I've hike over 500 miles of the trail as a section hiker, fine tuning and paring down my gear requirements.

Currently planning to reattempt in 2016, without my service dog. It adds a lot of stress on me (surprisingly) having to take care of him, plus I don't think it was really in it for the long haul (although he put up with it swimmingly).

First of all, thank you very much Patriot for your service. I appreciate it. Second, good luck on your plan to get back on the trail. I know the feeling of real life getting in the way. The key I have found is to have people outside of the trail handling real life and making it easier for you.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 15:46
Not thru related. However, my plan of doing the Vermont AT and The Long Trail this year failed after a 45 mike shakedown from NH to the Maine JCT. Instead, I am finishing the 48 4000' hills if NH. I do not view this fact as a failure. Do your best. It is all you can do. When that is done, that is a success regardless of the goal. Vermont will have to wait. I got 3 hills last weekend. I have 15 remaining that I will get over a 9 day vacation coming right up. I can hardly wait. Back to your walk. Given your signature and your history, I would bet you make it next year.

Thank you so much BB...I really appreciate it. I am definitely focused on making it next year. I picked up a lot of experience and knowledge this year. Good luck with this Vermont section. You have been around this thing for quite some time and I have NO DOUBT that you will accomplish your goal when you choose to.

peakbagger
07-20-2015, 15:56
Well it took me about 37 years (1970 to 2007) to link up sections of the AT to finish it so always remember its the journey not the destination :) I don't think I would ever swap my sectioning for an actual traditional thru hike. Of course HYOH

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2015, 16:04
I'm on a 7 year plan to section the whole trail. I go out and fail on many trips. Mostly I think it is just burned out from the long drives and second is the weather. I hate to say but I have proven to not be as tough cold/ wet weather wise as I wish I was. I guess in the moment I always side with "better safe then sorry"

I have really beat myself up on the ride home from quitting prematurely

elray
07-20-2015, 16:39
Hey, whats going on guys? I know there are a lot of first timers here and that's cool. However, I was wondering if there were OTHER people that will be BACK on the trail in order to thru-hike after failed attempts in the past. I actually failed TWICE last year due to injuries and real life (no excuses, just facts)...Anyone else trying to make a second run at it or even a third?

My wife and I attempted our our much anticipated thru last season starting on April 8, we made it to Erwin before the pain of nagging injuries took us off. We actually returned twice to resume the hike but the recurring agonies and the lack of water finally forced us to throw in the towel. At our ages 64 and 65 we realize that this was probably our only shot at a real thru hike and are officially section hikers from now on. She has a hip replacement surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks and I've discovered an erratic heart valve but our overall health is still quite good so you can bet we'll be back. We're sad but not discouraged, for five glorious weeks we were thru hiking and will always have those memories, we also met some of the nicest people on the planet and are forever grateful for the privilege!

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 16:48
Well it took me about 37 years (1970 to 2007) to link up sections of the AT to finish it so always remember its the journey not the destination :) I don't think I would ever swap my sectioning for an actual traditional thru hike. Of course HYOH

I have definitely considered sectioning if I cannot finish my thru-hiking dreams. I think sectioning would still be just as amazing and I have heard that some people truly like it better because they can start FRESH with every section and not starve to death in order to get there... ;)

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 16:49
I'm on a 7 year plan to section the whole trail. I go out and fail on many trips. Mostly I think it is just burned out from the long drives and second is the weather. I hate to say but I have proven to not be as tough cold/ wet weather wise as I wish I was. I guess in the moment I always side with "better safe then sorry"

I have really beat myself up on the ride home from quitting prematurely

You didn't quit bro! You still have a plan to hike the whole thing and see EVERYTHING that a thru-hiker would see. I envy that dedication.

Another Kevin
07-20-2015, 16:52
Not thru related. However, my plan of doing the Vermont AT and The Long Trail this year failed after a 45 mike shakedown from NH to the Maine JCT. Instead, I am finishing the 48 4000' hills of NH. I do not view this fact as a failure. Do your best. It is all you can do. When that is done, that is a success regardless of the goal. Vermont will have to wait. I got 3 hills last weekend. I have 15 remaining that I will get over a 9 day vacation coming right up. I can hardly wait. Back to your walk. Given your signature and your history, I would bet you make it next year.

I'm curious, because I haven't been over that way very much in a few decades. How many of the NH 4000-footers are trail-less?

With the Catskill 3500-footers, I've got 33 climbs down and six to go - all six are trail-less. I hope to finish those this year, but I'm kind of stalled at the moment. At least I have eight of the trail-less ones out of the way, plus the four out of the way that you have to do in winter. I've hardly started on the ADK 46.

Lynnette
07-20-2015, 16:54
O yes - 2014 - Fractured the R shin and small fracture in R knee in Smokeys. Healed and went back to Clingman's. Then.... just B4 DWGap in PA - fell and broke the R wrist. With the temp cast walked to Jersey line. After that healed it was time for hike & leaf peep in VT. It all kind of screwed up the linear feel of hiking 'thru'. I love being in the woods. But this year, hikers are flipping directions all over to avoid big crowds. I am packing for NH/ME now. Do I want to go back and begin again? in a heart beat.

CAKE

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 16:54
My wife and I attempted our our much anticipated thru last season starting on April 8, we made it to Erwin before the pain of nagging injuries took us off. We actually returned twice to resume the hike but the recurring agonies and the lack of water finally forced us to throw in the towel. At our ages 64 and 65 we realize that this was probably our only shot at a real thru hike and are officially section hikers from now on. She has a hip replacement surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks and I've discovered an erratic heart valve but our overall health is still quite good so you can bet we'll be back. We're sad but not discouraged, for five glorious weeks we were thru hiking and will always have those memories, we also met some of the nicest people on the planet and are forever grateful for the privilege!

You guys WENT FOR IT!!!! 5 weeks in the wilderness is a long time man and you have nothing to be ashamed of. You guys' health has to come first. There is nothing wrong with section hiking this thing...It is a hard thru-hike. I am 34 and had to come off TWICE this year. I did start my first one in December tho, which was kinda crazy. I ended up going to the Florida Trail and had to come off of there too. Then back to the AT in February where I thought I was gonna make it all the way. Of course, injuries and real life happened. I got off as well. I figure that I am gonna give this thing ONE FINAL PUSH and if I don't make it, I just gotta accept that I am not mentally strong enough for the entire 6 month hike. If that happens, I will switch to sections. It is hard to disable real life for six months and dedicate yourself to this thing. I also originally went with someone else and I believe that was my mistake. When they decided to get off the trail, I also then just followed. That was my mistake. I am not saying that couples cant make it because PLENTY do! (Congrats to Boots and Backpacks whom started ALSO in the Winter last year)...

I hope you guys's health improves and you can accomplish your dream. I wouldn't say this was your only shot tho. You never know where life can take you....It took you to the trail THREE times this year. That's saying alot!

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 16:57
I'm curious, because I haven't been over that way very much in a few decades. How many of the NH 4000-footers are trail-less?

With the Catskill 3500-footers, I've got 33 climbs down and six to go - all six are trail-less. I hope to finish those this year, but I'm kind of stalled at the moment. At least I have eight of the trail-less ones out of the way, plus the four out of the way that you have to do in winter. I've hardly started on the ADK 46.

The Whites are very popular. Owls Head is supposedly trailless. It has a great trail that is very clear. I doubt any are really trailless. The White Mountains trail map that I have shows trails to all of them.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 16:58
O yes - 2014 - Fractured the R shin and small fracture in R knee in Smokeys. Healed and went back to Clingman's. Then.... just B4 DWGap in PA - fell and broke the R wrist. With the temp cast walked to Jersey line. After that healed it was time for hike & leaf peep in VT. It all kind of screwed up the linear feel of hiking 'thru'. I love being in the woods. But this year, hikers are flipping directions all over to avoid big crowds. I am packing for NH/ME now. Do I want to go back and begin again? in a heart beat.

CAKE

Starting over actually is an amazing feeling to me. When I did the Approach Trail and Springer for the second time this year, I felt like it was MUCH EASIER. I felt like I already knew what to expect and I hiked faster. I loved the idea that I was getting a fresh start. I got pics and footage that I missed the first time. I feel like I could start over and do the same areas 100x if I needed to. I am excited about going back and seeing the things that I remember like Amicalola, Springer, Neels Gap, Suches, etc... I HATE big crowds, but I think I am gonna go with them this next year. Both of my attempts were in the winter so I didn't get to hike with many people NOR experience trail magic. I kinda wanna see those things this year.

Another Kevin
07-20-2015, 17:00
Oh, and back on topic: I'll never make a thru-hiker. I just can't see ever being able to walk away from my life and responsibilities for half a year at a whack. The longest thru-hike I've attempted is the Northville-Placid Trail (135 miles), and I bailed on that because of an illness. I'm finishing in sections. One more long weekend should do it. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that I didn't do it as a thru. I just divided the length of the trail by my available vacation time, said, "that looks like a reasonable daily mileage" and planned it as a thru-hike. If it were a longer trail I'd have planned a section to begin with. It's a great trail and I want to see the rest of it.

I don't have a goal to hike the entirety of any major trail, but it might happen if I live long enough. I like seeing new places, and a major trail (or for that matter, a peakbagging list) is kind of a catalogue of new places to see.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 17:04
On the AT I ran out of money halfway through, got a hitch back home, went back to work and back on the trail only to get injured. I finished the following year. On the PCT I ran out of money halfway through, went home and back to work to finish the following year. On the CDT, I saved double what I thought I needed and completed the trail in one season.

You know what? That says it all! I think that money is a HUGE reason that most people get off the trail. They do not realize how much they are gonna spend in the beginning. It's hard to stay away from the Pizza and Wings in Suches. It's hard to not stay at Neels Gap a couple of days. If you go to Helen, you are gonna spend some serious dough. It's all about discipline sure, but after just starting the trail, our systems are going through a shock. We immediately want that Pizza and comfort because we are NOT USED to hiking and camping every day. Money gets spent EARLY in my opinion and if you are not careful, you can end up spending $1000 your first few weeks or month. The key....budget well and save that money...I think your CDT trip showed you that.

I have come up with a method...I am NOT taking thousands of dollars at all. I am taking a card that my wife will deposit money to monthly to keep me from going over. I will get a lot of food drops and try to work within a strict budget. For instance, even with a few hotels and hostels, my first month, I only intend on spending $250. So, that is all I am gonna take....OF COURSE, if I need more, it will be available, but I also got a home to upkeep as well. $250 for month #1 (through the Smokies) is well within reason for me (Especially with food being dropped)...

I refuse to take more than I am gonna need. Helen isn't gonna get me THIS TIME!!! LOL! Either is Hiawassee! LOL!

Another Kevin
07-20-2015, 17:06
The Whites are very popular. Owls Head is supposedly trailless. It has a great trail that is very clear. I doubt any are really trailless. The White Mountains trail map that I have shows trails to all of them.

Maybe I ought to have the Northeast 111 on my bucket list, then. I have a limited tolerance for pushing through spuce while circling ledges looking for a spot that I can scramble, trying all the while to keep track of how far I've deviated from my compass line. I probably don't want to do more than a half-dozen or so peaks like that in any given year. :)

peakbagger
07-20-2015, 17:20
Owls head is trail less in name only, the FS just doesn't allow any signage or blazing on the path to the top and doesn't allow a sign at the top. There are actually three old summits along the ridge top the northern most one is currently considered the highest.

Coffee
07-20-2015, 17:50
One piece of advice I don't read that often is to avoid anything that breaks up the continuity of the hike such as very long breaks. It can put you in a bad state mentally and then going back to the trail may not be the same. Ultimately that was one of the main reasons I got off the trail this year. I was and remain in perfectly good physical condition and could have finished but made a decision not to. I won't be taking any long breaks from the trail next year. In fact, my zero days will probably number less than five. FWIW.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 17:52
One piece of advice I don't read that often is to avoid anything that breaks up the continuity of the hike such as very long breaks. It can put you in a bad state mentally and then going back to the trail may not be the same. Ultimately that was one of the main reasons I got off the trail this year. I was and remain in perfectly good physical condition and could have finished but made a decision not to. I won't be taking any long breaks from the trail next year. In fact, my zero days will probably number less than five. FWIW.

I think you are exactly right. BOTH TIMES that I left it happened inside of a trail town. It's easy to get there and easy to decide to leave because you ALREADY are not hiking. Due to the storm this past year, it was easy as I was layed over for quite some time. To regain that fire and determination can be hard as hell to do.

soumodeler
07-20-2015, 18:55
I got forced off the trail this year in the Smokies due to a rather nasty double infection that required a 13 day hospital visit. Had to have surgery to drain one infection and was told not to go back out for 2 months (due to the extremely high possibility of reinfection) which ruined my schedule. Decided not to SOBO.

I am now planning for another attempt next year starting again in early April. I was having the time of my life out there and want to finish the experience.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 19:21
I got forced off the trail this year in the Smokies due to a rather nasty double infection that required a 13 day hospital visit. Had to have surgery to drain one infection and was told not to go back out for 2 months (due to the extremely high possibility of reinfection) which ruined my schedule. Decided not to SOBO.

I am now planning for another attempt next year starting again in early April. I was having the time of my life out there and want to finish the experience.

Are we talking a staph infection here? I ended up getting one on the trail this year and actually STILL have it...Undergoing treatment now for it. Is that what you ended up dealing with man?

soumodeler
07-20-2015, 19:26
Worse! MRSA infection. The antibiotics were NOT fun. They gave me more problems than the infection did.

TearDrop1776
07-20-2015, 21:12
Worse! MRSA infection. The antibiotics were NOT fun. They gave me more problems than the infection did.

Damn man...Hell no, they are definitely not fun. I've been hoping that mine doesn't turn into MRSA. I originally got staph during my MMA fighting days and I think it has stayed in my system for damn near a decade man. It's almost impossible to get rid of. I had gotten rid of symptoms for a while BUT it came back on the Trail and hasn't left since. I am sorry that you are going through that bro.

Praha4
07-20-2015, 23:29
Started a NoBo thru in spring 2010, and ended up going home at Damascus. Physically was fine, but mental was ready to go home, figuring "plenty of time to try again next year". Life had some surprises in mind for me. Missed all hiking in 2011 and half 2012 due to prostate cancer surgery.

Since fall 2012, I've made close to a dozen trips to the AT and LT/Vermont for section hikes. As of now, have completed Springer Mtn to Thornton Gap, VA on the AT. Since my LT E2E hike in fall 2013, (when I felt at my best hiking shape ever), I've been plagued with repeat foot injuries that cut my other AT and LT section hikes short. My last hike was this past April-May, when I had to bail at Thornton Gap, VA from a very bad case of achilles tendonitis.

And my return to the trail now is going to be put off at least til next year. Scheduled for an MRI and most likely achilles tendon surgery in the next month. The extent of the surgery will all depend on what they see in the MRI. So looking back, now I wish I had stayed on the trail back in 2010 at Damascus, when I decided to come home, figuring "plenty of time to try it again next year". But can't complain much, the experience on the trail has been fantastic, would not trade it for anything, and already can't wait to get thru surgery, Phys therapy and hope to get back up to the AT sometime next year.

Lesson: don't take your health for granted, and appreciate any day spent hiking

Treehugger
07-21-2015, 08:39
MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to tx. Many of us have it all over us and it never causes a problem but sometimes in some people it does. Just a FYI.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

soumodeler
07-21-2015, 09:14
MRSA is a type of staph infection that is resistant to tx. Many of us have it all over us and it never causes a problem but sometimes in some people it does. Just a FYI.

I was just one of the lucky ones then.

The docs said that most likely I had the MRSA infection first (actually an infection, not just on the skin) and then got a bug bite that got infected as well, which overwhelmed my immune system.

TearDrop1776
07-21-2015, 10:21
Started a NoBo thru in spring 2010, and ended up going home at Damascus. Physically was fine, but mental was ready to go home, figuring "plenty of time to try again next year". Life had some surprises in mind for me. Missed all hiking in 2011 and half 2012 due to prostate cancer surgery.

Since fall 2012, I've made close to a dozen trips to the AT and LT/Vermont for section hikes. As of now, have completed Springer Mtn to Thornton Gap, VA on the AT. Since my LT E2E hike in fall 2013, (when I felt at my best hiking shape ever), I've been plagued with repeat foot injuries that cut my other AT and LT section hikes short. My last hike was this past April-May, when I had to bail at Thornton Gap, VA from a very bad case of achilles tendonitis.

And my return to the trail now is going to be put off at least til next year. Scheduled for an MRI and most likely achilles tendon surgery in the next month. The extent of the surgery will all depend on what they see in the MRI. So looking back, now I wish I had stayed on the trail back in 2010 at Damascus, when I decided to come home, figuring "plenty of time to try it again next year". But can't complain much, the experience on the trail has been fantastic, would not trade it for anything, and already can't wait to get thru surgery, Phys therapy and hope to get back up to the AT sometime next year.

Lesson: don't take your health for granted, and appreciate any day spent hiking

VERY VERY GOOD lesson there. Man, I am sorry to hear about the injuries and health issues. You are gonna make it back to the trail!

foodbag
07-21-2015, 10:55
I set out to do a thru hike in 1999 at age 42 after having thought about it for far too long. I quit a crappy job and set out from Springer with visions of Katahdin in my head only to pack it in after 610 miles, having limped for 100 miles on my poor pronated feet.

Then in 2005, with my other half's blessing I quit yet another crappy job, went back to where I left off in '99 and set out with the intention to finish the rest. This time I was armed with lighter gear and custom Superfeet shoe inserts, but once again I became a limping, hobbling wreck and discontinued the endeavor after 300 and some odd miles.

Still, I have not forgotten about the Trail and plan to chip away at it once again when I finally quit the working world. I'd give it a go again in a heartbeat but quitting a job at 57 is different than bailing from one in your 40's, because getting hired in one's late 50's is a truly dicey proposition. But, God willing Foodbag will hit the Trail again!

TearDrop1776
07-21-2015, 14:39
I set out to do a thru hike in 1999 at age 42 after having thought about it for far too long. I quit a crappy job and set out from Springer with visions of Katahdin in my head only to pack it in after 610 miles, having limped for 100 miles on my poor pronated feet.

Then in 2005, with my other half's blessing I quit yet another crappy job, went back to where I left off in '99 and set out with the intention to finish the rest. This time I was armed with lighter gear and custom Superfeet shoe inserts, but once again I became a limping, hobbling wreck and discontinued the endeavor after 300 and some odd miles.

Still, I have not forgotten about the Trail and plan to chip away at it once again when I finally quit the working world. I'd give it a go again in a heartbeat but quitting a job at 57 is different than bailing from one in your 40's, because getting hired in one's late 50's is a truly dicey proposition. But, God willing Foodbag will hit the Trail again!

I have no doubt that you will...Sorry to hear about the past attempts, but you hiked 900+ miles man...I envy that. Hopefully I can reach at least that THIS year...You have ALREADY done something that most of us dream about, as I am sure you did as well. Hopefully you will get back out there and finish your AT hike...You don't have far to go.

HockeyGirl
07-27-2015, 16:39
After completing 1800 miles in 2012, I’m finally planning on finishing the last miles next year, before ambitiously planning to leap west to do a stint on the PCT too.
However, giving the annoying logistics of where I’m missing miles – It’s easier for me to start over at Springer and hike until Roanoke, then bus up to Gorham and redo Maine as well to finish.
Not sure if the plan will work, but I’m totally going for it!

Jakesdad1
10-02-2015, 19:42
Attempt #1 was in the spring of 1975. We skipped graduation (Purdue) to get on the trail. We lasted a week. Attempt #2 was spring of 2012. I had just retired. I lasted 100 miles. Third time's the charm, starting 3rd week of Feb. Hopefully I've learned about my self and the trail and expect to complete in the late summer or fall.

Old Hiker
10-02-2015, 23:34
2012 - 2+ weeks off for foot pains - no real diagnosis - just couldn't walk. Back on the Trail on 16 May, slipped and sprained/cracked my right ankle on 18 May - 497 miles.

Plantar fasciitis right now - clearing up with a night boot to help stretch the tissues, new insoles, new lift for the left foot, new pad under the left arch. Seems my arches have fallen and left leg has been shorter than the right. Go figure.

Back up to 2 miles walking per day and increasing slowly - have cut 15 pounds from pack - starting elevation training this Oct. As soon as I put my hiking boots on, pain is gone and I can walk.

I should just find a good farrier and have them nail a horseshoe to each foot. Save time, trouble and money.

Boots and Backpacks
10-09-2015, 13:19
Although we didn't fail on our first attempt this year, and did complete the trail on 7/9. We're considering hitting the trail SOBO next year starting around the end of July. Hoping to catch some fall colors heading through the Shenandoah region.

rafe
10-09-2015, 13:37
I started a thru in '90, made it as far as Catawba. I wasn't injured or out of money but I was bored and not having fun. I did Katahdin to Monson in September of that year and caught up with a few of my trail friends from down south.

A few years later I started doing section hikes. The sections ran anywhere from 12 to 120 miles. In 2007 I took time off from work (plus a "sabbatical") to finish the trail with another long (six week) section through the mid-Atlantic states. I finished at the spot where I'd bailed in 1990. Plenty of photos and journals at the link below.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/wp

jred321
10-10-2015, 23:36
I know one person from this year who should be back out there to finish next year but I don't think she's starting over as a thru. She made it through Shenandoah, jumped ahead a bit into PA because she needed to finish to get back for school and lived in DC so was just going to close out that section during the school year, then broke her arm on the NY border. Waited around for a few weeks to see if the doctors would let her get back out there but ended up needing surgery. She did Katahdin and the HMW SOBO with her broken arm after the surgery but eventually scrapped it and plans to finish next summer. I don't think she's on here but if you run into her you're lucky, she's awesome. Her name is Haha

Recalc
10-13-2015, 18:03
Had to leave the trail at Pinkham Notch because of a foot injury this year. Although unresolved, a pending doctor appointment will hopefully expedite healing. I plan on completing the trail in 2016.

Last year I walked with a high number of strides per minute and very little foot lift. This style was probably responsible for a lot of injuries to my toes. The plan next year is to lift my feet slightly with each step. We shall see if it works.

Nonfiction
10-14-2015, 09:13
My wife & I started a Thru this year on March 10th, went over 1500 miles to Great Barington, MA...... within the same week I contracted Ehrlichiosis (like Lyme) from a tick bite, cracked a tooth & got a severe tooth ache, & my wife's Grandmother passed away. So, we were forced to get off the trail this year. We are looking at getting back out there to finish our last 600ish miles possibly in June next year.

Grampie
10-14-2015, 11:20
I attempted a thru-hike in 2000. I got to Fontana Dam and had to end my hike when I got a bad stress fracture in my leg. The next year I got back on the trail at Fontana Dam and finished the AT without any further problems. Not a true thru-hike but I did hike 2005 miles in 2001.

The 3 Beez
10-14-2015, 15:54
Congrats for making several attempts trying to accomplish something that many people would never give it try. Not to be funny but this sounds like many attempts I have just with section hiking. Most people never make it off the couch... Try section hiking as you can accomplish goals with the knowledge you have gained by your attempts...just a though...see you on the trail

pdmayfield
11-01-2015, 00:28

Your comment just sobered me. Just last week I started my first section hike. I had planned to thru-hike about 8 yrs ago but lost the window. excited about the hikes ahead. I have been thinking I will be able to do it all in 5-10 yrs.

Your 37 years doesn't deflate me, just sobers me. Life happens. Life meanders. Life is a beautiful gift.