PDA

View Full Version : Abol Campground Store

mountainman
07-20-2015, 17:33
Does the store have any cooked food? Or just pr-emade sandwichs.

peakbagger
07-20-2015, 18:55
Standard warning. There are two campgrounds that could be confused. The Abol Campground in the park does not have a store or sandwiches. The Maine bureau of public lands has a campground near the Abol Bridge Store outside the park. It should be obvious but some folks get confused.

It has been quite awhile since I have been to Abol bridge but they did stock some basic food items other than sandwiches. Hopefully you can get more current info.

Water Rat
07-20-2015, 19:09
The Abol Bridge Campground Store mostly has packaged food. Knorr Sides, instant potatoes, Ramen...that kind of thing. There is not a wide variety of food offered there.

It is attached to the Northern Restaurant. Not sure of the current hours, but they have burgers, steaks, etc.

BirdBrain
07-20-2015, 19:30
They have the most important thing... ice cream and waffle cones to put it on.

chiefduffy
07-20-2015, 19:43
It is not a good place for long-term resupply, as some guidebooks say. It is basically a very high priced camp store. Nice oasis, though!

egilbe
07-20-2015, 20:26
Ice cream there was delicious! I can attest to that. It's now run by Northern outdoors, so it mostly caters to rafters, from what I can see. Hiker staples are kinda pricey. Knorr sides are $2.60 or so. Most everything else is comparatively priced, from what I could see.

Mr. Clean
07-21-2015, 09:34
There is also Abol Pines campground which is across the road from the Abol Bridge store. Much cheaper, but no ammenities.

flemdawg1
07-30-2015, 14:05
Burger fries, onion rings, decent beer selection. Try the Poutin.

Water Rat
07-30-2015, 14:22
I was just up there the other day... The store does still have stuff for hikers, though not as much as it had last year. The campground has joined forces with a rafting company and is catering a bit more to that crowd. The restaurant also is a bit more limited/selective of their hours this year, as they do close for special events.

I don't mean any of that in a negative sense (toward the owners of the campground, or rafting company). I am just putting that information out there for hikers so they can plan accordingly. The store still has instant taters, Knorr Sides, boxed Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, Pop Tarts... They just have a little bit less of a selection of those items.

The burger I had at the restaurant (last year) was awesome! I would have stopped off the other day, but the restaurant wasn't open when I happened to be passing through.