PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Central VA in October-McAfees to Rt60

Downhill Trucker
07-20-2015, 18:33
Looking for some tips for a section from Catawba (Rt311) to Buena Vista (Rt60) this October.

Not sure if we go NOBO or SOBO to start. We will probably use Gary Senna to shuttle. Any suggestions on which way to go or where to park would be appreciated.

Any awesome campsites? We Hammock and generally avoid shelters. Good places to catch a sunset or sunrise?

Bears? Hunting seasons?

Water availability in the fall?

Thinking of a mail drop in Daleville. Are any of the other towns along this section easy to hitch or get into for drop/resupply?

Trail conditions? Is this area rocky. We are trying to average 12 miles a day. We average 12-15 in shenandoah for comparisons sake.

Peak time to see foliage or dates to avoid in mid to late October?

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

Many thanks,
DHT

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give up a secret spot online. Thx!

Tuckahoe
07-20-2015, 18:39
You will be within hunting season and blaze orange is a good idea. You can look up seasons and other hunting regs here for an idea of what is happening and when -- http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/

Odd Man Out
07-20-2015, 20:24
From Catawba to Daleville camping is only allowed at designated campgrounds and shelters. So that will limit your options on the first day.

Downhill Trucker
07-21-2015, 00:48
Bump it up...

Treehugger
07-21-2015, 07:58
NOBO imo, Brown Mtn Creek is beautiful, yes there are bears, water shouldn't be a big problem-read shelter journals for up to date info, Daleville has grocery store near trail-no need for mail drop, other resupply in Buchanan/ Glasgow/Big Island, trail overall not very rocky. Have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

johnnybgood
07-21-2015, 10:19
As far as leaving a car somewhere for a week I would probably contact Deer Hunter who lives in Buena Vista. He could also help with shuttling you to the trailhead at Rt. 60
If going sobo then contact HikerMom who lives in Daleville. She would know where best to leave your car and she also can shuttle you to the trailhead. Both are very nice and reasonable .
Although not your ending point, I have left a car in Daleville at the shopping center for several overnighters in the past w/o any problems.

Deer Hunter
07-21-2015, 19:48
As far as leaving a car somewhere for a week I would probably contact Deer Hunter who lives in Buena Vista. He could also help with shuttling you to the trailhead at Rt. 60
If going sobo then contact HikerMom who lives in Daleville. She would know where best to leave your car and she also can shuttle you to the trailhead. Both are very nice and reasonable .
Although not your ending point, I have left a car in Daleville at the shopping center for several overnighters in the past w/o any problems.

Thanks for the kind words, Johnny. I could possibly help with a shuttle depending on the day/time. Resupply is also an option in Buena Vista. Let me know if your interested DHT.

Downhill Trucker
07-22-2015, 14:14
Thanks deer hunter. We are still in the planning stages but as we get closer ill reach out to you.

Any more info on the section itself?

Downhill Trucker
07-27-2015, 15:29
Bump it up

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2015, 13:16
Anyone go through this section recently. Wondering about water sources and bear activity. We leave in a month.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Southerner
09-24-2015, 18:00
I live just north of Roanoke and hike the trails in the area quite frequently. The bad news is that water has been an issue over the last six weeks or so. Many of the smaller springs / seasonal sources have gone dry, and even some of the bigger streams have been reduced to trickles and puddles. The good news, though, is that we had a soaking rain late Sunday into Tuesday and more rain is expected this weekend. If the recent / anticipated rain is the beginning of a rainy pattern, conditions could improve dramatically in a month.

Pastor Bryon
09-24-2015, 21:12
2 or 3 excellent camping spots along rocky row, about 5 miles north of the foot bridge. Great spot to see a sunrise.

Cfullerton
09-24-2015, 21:47
We were through that area, Catawba to Daleville last weekend and it was wonderful. Beautiful views at McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs and a few peak a boo places along the trail. We stayed at the Campbell Shelter tent sites bc the shelter was full of scouts and noisy. Decent water was about 100yrds down the hill from the sites. The next night we stayed at Lamberts Meadow Shelter. Good water close to the shelter. Also great tent sites about 1/2mi north of the shelter. We did this hike NOBO and parked one car at mm 708.0, VA 311 and the other in the parking lot next to the Little Ceaser's, Daleville, mm 727.8, US 220. Enjoy your hike!

Downhill Trucker
09-25-2015, 12:57
Thanks for the continued info. Just booked our shuttle and starting to get things ready. Any info is appreciated!

flemdawg1
09-25-2015, 14:50
I'm doing the same section SOBO starting next weekend. Using Joe Mitchell from 4 Pines Hostel in Catawba for shuttle.

flemdawg1
09-25-2015, 14:51
And doing a maildrop to Middle Creek Campground near Jennings Creek.

09-25-2015, 23:52
Tell Eddie at 4 Pines that Larry(711) from Ohio said hello. He may also remember me as leader of the lost souls lol!

Downhill Trucker
09-27-2015, 17:24
I'm doing the same section SOBO starting next weekend. Using Joe Mitchell from 4 Pines Hostel in Catawba for shuttle.
Please let me know how it goes!

flemdawg1
09-28-2015, 15:58
will do

flemdawg1
10-12-2015, 17:54
Just got back yday. Trails are in good shape. Water was plentiful (every place indicated on AT map for water had it, thanks to 6 rainy days of 9 I hiked). Macafee knob was absolutely packed with people rainy Saturday afternoon, 300+ by the Ridgerunner count. Not many blowdowns on the trail despite the excessive rains. And the trail maintainers for the section had just come thru. Middle Creek campground was pretty nice but 1.5 mile walk from the Jennings Creek road crossing (but there is a shorter blue blaze route available near the shelter). Had a maildrop sent there. Owners were absent when I arrived @ 5:30 that evening and though they were informed that I was coming, didn't come back till 8:30. So that was annoying. After arriving in Daleville, we decided to slack pack the rest of the way to 324, since our cars were at 4 pines this was easily done.

My favorite part, finding ripe apples on a tree on Apple Orchard Mt (1/4 mile south of the radar station right on the trail).

Downhill Trucker
10-20-2015, 14:32
Just got back yday. Trails are in good shape. Water was plentiful (every place indicated on AT map for water had it, thanks to 6 rainy days of 9 I hiked). Macafee knob was absolutely packed with people rainy Saturday afternoon, 300+ by the Ridgerunner count. Not many blowdowns on the trail despite the excessive rains. And the trail maintainers for the section had just come thru. Middle Creek campground was pretty nice but 1.5 mile walk from the Jennings Creek road crossing (but there is a shorter blue blaze route available near the shelter). Had a maildrop sent there. Owners were absent when I arrived @ 5:30 that evening and though they were informed that I was coming, didn't come back till 8:30. So that was annoying. After arriving in Daleville, we decided to slack pack the rest of the way to 324, since our cars were at 4 pines this was easily done.

My favorite part, finding ripe apples on a tree on Apple Orchard Mt (1/4 mile south of the radar station right on the trail).
Thanks for the trip report. Excellent news as we leave on Friday.