PDA

View Full Version : OMG I love this pepsi stove!

Husko
11-22-2005, 19:08
Awsome! I received my first Pepsi stove from www.antigravitygear.com yesterday and tried it out tonight. It worked like a charm and is so incredibly easy to use It's amazing!

Simply pour in 1-2 ounces of denatured alcohol in the center of the Pepsi can, then pour about 8 drops around the primer pan and light it with a lighter. I can't believe how hot it is. I wasn't able to get a boil of 1fl oz, but it was darn near boiling in about 3-4 (I didn't actually time it, just a guess.)

It's quite, and with the light off looks just like a regular stove top flame lol!

I have an AT and Sith stove in shipment from http://minibulldesign.com and I'm excited to try those out.

Sorry if this is old news but thought there might be others out there, like me, that have refused to part from their complicated heavy stove over the past 3 years.

Next I'm going to try some simple instructions to make my own just in case of emergencies.

neo
11-22-2005, 19:27
Awsome! I received my first Pepsi stove from www.antigravitygear.com (http://www.antigravitygear.com) yesterday and tried it out tonight. It worked like a charm and is so incredibly easy to use It's amazing!

Simply pour in 1-2 ounces of denatured alcohol in the center of the Pepsi can, then pour about 8 drops around the primer pan and light it with a lighter. I can't believe how hot it is. I wasn't able to get a boil of 1fl oz, but it was darn near boiling in about 3-4 (I didn't actually time it, just a guess.)

It's quite, and with the light off looks just like a regular stove top flame lol!

I have an AT and Sith stove in shipment from http://minibulldesign.com and I'm excited to try those out.

Sorry if this is old news but thought there might be others out there, like me, that have refused to part from their complicated heavy stove over the past 3 years.

Next I'm going to try some simple instructions to make my own just in case of emergencies.

the stove work great indoors,least bit of wind and its worthless,i used the wind screen that came with it,it almost burned up,i hated that stove:cool: neo

SGT Rock
11-22-2005, 19:33
Disregard Neo. He would have problems considering he gave Plumorchard Shelter a shelter a bath in Alcohol while attempting to fill a lit stove:eek:

Husko
11-22-2005, 19:37
LOL It's all good. I guess I had better test it out doors too. BTW, im not sure if im using the right fuel. It is S-L-X Denatured alcohol from Klean Strip. That ok?

Thanks!

SGT Rock
11-22-2005, 19:38
That is perfect stuff.

Skidsteer
11-22-2005, 20:01
A good windscreen will work beautifully with a good stove and by most accounts Antigravity only puts out good stuff. When you decide on a windscreen try it out at home, outside, in really crappy weather. That'll make a believer out of you and more importantly give you confidence in your equipment( and skill in using same ). And that, my friend, can't be bought online!

As to constructing your own stove, I'll put in a plug for Sgt. Rock's design since he isn't plugging it himself. I've made a bunch of different stoves( but certainly not all ), and his is BY FAR the simplest I've tried for the effeciency,reliability, consistency, etc. Cheers!

Two Speed
11-22-2005, 20:25
Welcome to the world of alcohol stoves.

First, Tin Man's a great person to do business with. I've got a Anti-Gravity mess kit, cozy, neoprene cover, etc and am tickled. Good gear, great guy to talk to and a good value for the money.

Second, there are lots of good alcohol stoves out there. As Skidsteer mentioned, Sgt Rock is something of a guru when it comes to alcohol stoves and his Ion design is certainly one of the better designs. Another well regarded stove are the Brasslite stoves. Bit pricey, but very nice from what I hear.

Now we come to my little obsession, the Trangia. I've got a Westwind; used it on the section from Atkins to VA 606 last week. One or two cups of coffee in the morning, one or two cups of coffee and hot chocolate in the evening with a hot meal and used less than 2 oz of fuel a day, and was not particularly careful to use the stove efficiently.

One caveat. If the wind is really getting it you can burn a boat load of alcohol and never boil the water. It really pays to build a windscreen and to pick a sheltered spot to cook. That isn't a huge problem for me because I never really enjoyed a meal in a wind tunnel anyway.

Husko
11-22-2005, 22:34
heh, I'm so excited I boiled a russet potato tonight. After a short boil I put it into the cozy and neoprene cover for about 10 minutes.

I've never actually measured my fuel consumption with my bruton white gas stove. I wonder how it compares in efficiency?

Oh and I ate the potato. :clap

Skidsteer
11-22-2005, 23:02
heh, I'm so excited I boiled a russet potato tonight. After a short boil I put it into the cozy and neoprene cover for about 10 minutes.

I've never actually measured my fuel consumption with my bruton white gas stove. I wonder how it compares in efficiency?

Oh and I ate the potato. :clap

Now you're lost for sure buddy. Hooked, addicted, and irretrievably goofy about stoves( and probably other gear as well; or perhaps even backpacking period ). Take heart! It is, for the most part, a functional addiction...:D

SteveJ
11-22-2005, 23:47
clip

Another well regarded stove are the Brasslite stoves. Bit pricey, but very nice from what I hear.
clip

I've owned and used a brasslite for 2 years now. you can tell that Aaron is a jeweler by trade - it's a beautifully designed and rugged little stove. great product, and great customer service.

Steve

Teatime
11-23-2005, 06:24
Oh Yes, I too like my Trangia Stove.
Welcome to the world of alcohol stoves.

First, Tin Man's a great person to do business with. I've got a Anti-Gravity mess kit, cozy, neoprene cover, etc and am tickled. Good gear, great guy to talk to and a good value for the money.

Second, there are lots of good alcohol stoves out there. As Skidsteer mentioned, Sgt Rock is something of a guru when it comes to alcohol stoves and his Ion design is certainly one of the better designs. Another well regarded stove are the Brasslite stoves. Bit pricey, but very nice from what I hear.

Now we come to my little obsession, the Trangia. I've got a Westwind; used it on the section from Atkins to VA 606 last week. One or two cups of coffee in the morning, one or two cups of coffee and hot chocolate in the evening with a hot meal and used less than 2 oz of fuel a day, and was not particularly careful to use the stove efficiently.

One caveat. If the wind is really getting it you can burn a boat load of alcohol and never boil the water. It really pays to build a windscreen and to pick a sheltered spot to cook. That isn't a huge problem for me because I never really enjoyed a meal in a wind tunnel anyway.

John B
11-23-2005, 07:56
I also have enjoyed using my alcohol stove. Pepsi stoves and oven-liner windscreens are quite easy to make, so that's the route that I took. I have a Brasslite, too, and I am very happy with it, too.

I would encourage you, however, to consider using pure grain alcohol ("Golden Grain," which is 180 proof) rather than denatured alcohol. The warning label on cans of denatured alcohol ("carcinogenic... avoid contact with skin....") convinced me that the small added expense of grain alcohol was worth it. Liquor stores in my city sell a quart of Golden Grain for about $10. It was easy to find in most town stops on the trail, and in places where I knew it wasn't readily available, I included it with other items in my drop box.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth.

justusryans
11-23-2005, 08:40
It's not bad mixed with Crystal Light either! :D

Lanthar Mandragoran
11-23-2005, 11:35
I also have enjoyed using my alcohol stove. Pepsi stoves and oven-liner windscreens are quite easy to make, so that's the route that I took. I have a Brasslite, too, and I am very happy with it, too.

I would encourage you, however, to consider using pure grain alcohol ("Golden Grain," which is 180 proof) rather than denatured alcohol. The warning label on cans of denatured alcohol ("carcinogenic... avoid contact with skin....") convinced me that the small added expense of grain alcohol was worth it. Liquor stores in my city sell a quart of Golden Grain for about $10. It was easy to find in most town stops on the trail, and in places where I knew it wasn't readily available, I included it with other items in my drop box.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth.

Huh! I've checked into prices for 'everclear' to use on the trail and those were more than I wanted to pay. I'll have to look for 'golden grain'

Nightwalker
11-23-2005, 11:54
I've owned and used a brasslite for 2 years now. you can tell that Aaron is a jeweler by trade - it's a beautifully designed and rugged little stove. great product, and great customer service.

Steve
Aaaron isn't a jeweler, even though he does a great job silver-soldering. That is, unless he's changed careers in the last couple of years.

He does "BrassLite" as a side job. His day job is one of a kind that's very beneficial to society.

Where did you get the jeweler thing?

SGT Rock
11-23-2005, 11:56
Because Aaron actually has that as another skill - a hobby really to his main job as a counselor. But yes, he does make jewelry. The first prototype for the Brasslite was actually made from silver (that was his story anyway).

Alligator
11-23-2005, 12:17
$10.00/qt for golden grain is 4X the cost of a gallon of denatured alcohol(~$10). I understand the health concern, but that is no small added cost.

Footslogger
11-23-2005, 12:37
$10.00/qt for golden grain is 4X the cost of a gallon of denatured alcohol(~$10). I understand the health concern, but that is no small added cost.
====================================
Guess it depends in part on what value you place on being able to drink it in addition to burning it ...

'Slogger

Sly
11-23-2005, 13:39
Disregard Neo. He would have problems considering he gave Plumorchard Shelter a shelter a bath in Alcohol while attempting to fill a lit stove:eek:

LOL.... :rolleyes:

Alligator
11-23-2005, 14:19
====================================
Guess it depends in part on what value you place on being able to drink it in addition to burning it ...

'Slogger
Thought about that afterwards as that's a good price for near a liter, but I always flash back to a night spent puking my guts out. I'm not one to shy away from adult beverages but grain is EVIL. If you must, never let your friends mix your grain drinks; remember 1 oz grain>2 shots of 80 proof liquor; and if you find yourself saying "Hey that was good, make me another", just jump out the nearest window. You'll feel better in the morning.

Footslogger
11-23-2005, 14:24
[quote=Alligator]Thought about that afterwards as that's a good price for near a liter, but I always flash back to a night spent puking my guts out. ==========

Without those flashbacks how would we ever learn ?? ...as for jumping out of the window goes I think I'd just back off on the ETOH a tad (but I get your meaning).

'Slogger

Husko
11-23-2005, 19:01
i'm going to try and find some of that grain alcohol this weekend and give it a try.

Husko
11-25-2005, 20:21
I just received my AT and Sith stove from http://minibulldesign.com.

WOW. These things are quality. You can barely tell they were once a can. :banana No tape used on these stoves. I really like the priming method of the Sith it uses a fire proof wick on the side. Just swirl the stove around a couple of times to get the wick wet and lite her up! It's cool because I don't have to keep track of a primer pan if I use this one. These stoves are pressurized but I cant really tell what the benefit of that is but I've heard it speeds up the bloom time.

I think I found my stove for the AT trail. Its going to be the Sith.

Only thing that concerns me about these two stoves is that the flame is so large it almost wraps around the sides of my grease/antigravitygear pot. Will that make it less efficient?

Two Speed
11-25-2005, 22:32
I've fooled around with pressurizing stoves and have gotten the impression that they are slightly more efficient than chimney style stoves. The down side is that they don't appear to resist the wind very well; they blow out much more easily than a chimney style. Short version: I'd test this thing in windy conditions before taking it on an extended hike.

Cuffs
11-25-2005, 23:29
I am glad to hear that everyone is so impressed with their pop can stoves! My problem is that I dont have the time or patience to try and make one... In case anyone is looking, I found them available on ebay; search for backpacking cook stove. (tried to cipy link, but isnt working...?)

$9 includes stove, windscreen and shipping!

If anyone has any input after looking at it, greatly appreciated!!

Other than the seller patting his own back, I have no other assurance of its quality...

Two Speed
11-26-2005, 10:00
Geohabit: $9 for stove, windscreen and shipping charges isn't bad, provided the stove is decently made. Actually once you handle one you may realize that making one isn't that complicated. A lot of hikers make their own pepsi or tuna can stoves. I got hung up on the Trangia due to it's durability, efficiency and history.

To the best of my ability to determine, the Swedish army was issuing a mess kit that included an alcohol stove during WW II. I haven't handled one, but from the photos I've seen, I believe that stove is identical to the Trangia sold today. I have seen peripheral references to U.S. forces using alcohol stoves during WW II, but I can't find a trustworthy reference to confirm that.

Short version: alcohol stoves have been around a heck of a lot longer than I thought when I first heard about them.

Husko: I'm interested in how your new stoves perform in the wind. If you don't post here please shoot me a PM when you get an idea how they hold up in field conditions. As I said, I fooled with pressurizing stoves and came to the conclusion that they're an engineering dead end; some fascinating aspects but too many problems with wind, ambient temperature, sensitivity to a cold pot being put on and taken off, etc, but I believe Tinny3 has been working pretty hard on them and am intensely curious to see if he's managed to get around the problems.

SGT Rock
11-26-2005, 12:51
Only thing that concerns me about these two stoves is that the flame is so large it almost wraps around the sides of my grease/antigravitygear pot. Will that make it less efficient?

Short answer, yes. Slightly longer answer: it may make it less efficient but maybe not that much.

That is why I try to make my stoves with a flame pattern that keeps all the flame in the bottom where the "Sweet spot" of the flamw is right at the bottom of the pot.

Husko
11-26-2005, 22:42
[QUOTE=
Husko: I'm interested in how your new stoves perform in the wind. If you don't post here please shoot me a PM when you get an idea how they hold up in field conditions. As I said, I fooled with pressurizing stoves and came to the conclusion that they're an engineering dead end; some fascinating aspects but too many problems with wind, ambient temperature, sensitivity to a cold pot being put on and taken off, etc, but I believe Tinny3 has been working pretty hard on them and am intensely curious to see if he's managed to get around the problems.[/QUOTE]

sure, ill take it out on short walk tomorrow. Nothing extreme.

We have about 4 inches of snow on the ground right now and it's pretty darn cold. about 25 degrees right now but should warm up tomorrow.

What a grand idea... Ill test it as best I can. For once, I'll hope for some really cold winds :)

Thanks for giving me something to do :clap

MisterSweetie
11-27-2005, 02:50
My problem is that I dont have the time or patience to try and make one... I spent about 30 minutes with my 10 year old nephew this weekend and madea a great little minibull stove. Tested and working, too. Very very easy. Based on this video:

http://www.minibulldesign.com/video/minibullin3.wmv

A couple of questions about this video, or plans regarding this particular stove, anyway. First of all, what are the hole punches all the way around the "top" half of the stove.. (this is what he's doing in the video starting about 1:01). Having made two working models based on this video, I can't see what purpose they serve. Weight savings, possibly?

Secondly, what is the purpose of crimping the other can? Again, I can see no logical reason behind doing this, as I did one and it worked, and I didn't do the other, and it worked just the same. Is crimping done simply to facilitate joining the two cans?

Finally, the video does not show when the "burner" holes are punched in the can... I put them in both my stoves, but I assume they were already in the cans used for the video.

Thanks for any clarification you can give me. By the way, this is a great quick stove to make... I'd say go a touch smaller than what the video shows, though, maybe by 1/8th inch or so.

Thanks!

Roland
11-27-2005, 04:15
~~~A couple of questions about this video, or plans regarding this particular stove, anyway. First of all, what are the hole punches all the way around the "top" half of the stove.. (this is what he's doing in the video starting about 1:01). Having made two working models based on this video, I can't see what purpose they serve. Weight savings, possibly?

Secondly, what is the purpose of crimping the other can? Again, I can see no logical reason behind doing this, as I did one and it worked, and I didn't do the other, and it worked just the same. Is crimping done simply to facilitate joining the two cans?

Finally, the video does not show when the "burner" holes are punched in the can... I put them in both my stoves, but I assume they were already in the cans used for the video.

Thanks for any clarification you can give me. By the way, this is a great quick stove to make... I'd say go a touch smaller than what the video shows, though, maybe by 1/8th inch or so.

Thanks!
MisterSweetie,

Answers to your questions, below:

1. Those are the burner holes. This is a side-burner stove. It allows a pot to sit directly on top, w/o the need for a pot stand.

2. He crimps the lip of the bottom can to allow it to mate with the top half. This is faster than swaging the top can, to receive the bottom can, but does require tape to seal the joint.

3. See #1.

A word of caution: If you've started tinkering with stoves, be careful. It can be addicting. :D

MisterSweetie
11-27-2005, 10:51
Excellent, thanks Roland! Maybe if I can rustle up some cans, I'll try making one exactly like his, and see how they go. I'm pretty happy with my twist on the design, even if it does require a potstand/windscreen.

Thanks!

MisterSweetie
12-15-2005, 12:03
Another series of questions.

I'm having serious efficiency issues with any can stove I build. I basically make a minibull stove (as in the video above) but I have holes in the can top, not side, and I don't crimp the can as in the video. It's a very very basic stove.

My problem is that it's seriously inefficient. The "burner" barely burns, and most of the alcohol burns from the center ring. Very tall flames from there, but maybe 1/8th inch flames from the burner.

Can someone offer tips to make this more efficient? Or in general what's the best way to affect efficiency? Less burner holes, side burner holes, smaller inner hole, wick, etc? Any tips at all?

So far I can't even come close to matching the can stove I bought on ebay in one I make myself. And when I thru, I want to be able to use my own made stove. :)

Thanks!

SGT Rock
12-15-2005, 12:12
Another series of questions.

I'm having serious efficiency issues with any can stove I build. I basically make a minibull stove (as in the video above) but I have holes in the can top, not side, and I don't crimp the can as in the video. It's a very very basic stove.

My problem is that it's seriously inefficient. The "burner" barely burns, and most of the alcohol burns from the center ring. Very tall flames from there, but maybe 1/8th inch flames from the burner.

Can someone offer tips to make this more efficient? Or in general what's the best way to affect efficiency? Less burner holes, side burner holes, smaller inner hole, wick, etc? Any tips at all?

So far I can't even come close to matching the can stove I bought on ebay in one I make myself. And when I thru, I want to be able to use my own made stove. :)

Thanks!
Honestly Mr Sweetie that is a very complex question. There isn't a standard "this works better" answer because I have found a lot of this works based on pot diameter and what you consider efficient.

What I generally recommend is you play with your system. Things you want:

1. Minimize flames up the side of your pot, the more bottom surface area with flame in contact the better. This is one reason I stayed away from some mini-bull type designs because you loose the entire area where the pot sits on the can. My experience is a pot stand of some sort works better for a lot of reasons including the conclusion that those types of stoves can be very unpredictable if you ever have to remove the pot from the stove after it gets going and then put it back on.

2. Use the sweet spot of the flame - all blue is not as effective even though the flame is hotter. The better part of the flame is yellow - but not too much yellow surface area showing. This can be done by changing the height from the start of the flame to the bottom of the pot. I have found for many stoves this sweet spot is about 3/4" to 1" above the stove.

3. A good windscreen is a huge factor in any stove. You want a windscreen hat gives you about a 1/4" gap around the pot to facilitate good air flow while at the same time keeping the windscreen close enough to block wind. I now make mine with air holes only on one side so in high winds I can turn the side without air holes into the breeze.

IMO the best thing to do is start with a standard Pepsi type stove and make a coat hanger stand for a basis of further experiments.

Seeker
12-15-2005, 12:12
not sure what you have for tools... i'm blessed with a drill press, a lot of different sized bits, and a patient wife... that said, i've built about 20 pepsi can stoves... smaller holes, bigger holes, more holes, fewer holes, side holes, top holes, and every combination i could think of...

then i found rock's ion stove... made my own with two of those really small v8 drink cans, exactly the way he said to, and it works like a charm... 1/2 oz of fuel gets flames shooting up all around my msr titan kettle, boils plenty of water for my meal, and it light to boot...

on another note, there are also pressurized stoves, but i blew up a few of them, and they're more flash than function, imho, so i don't use them...

MisterSweetie
12-15-2005, 12:56
re Rock, I'm not talking as much about efficiency in cooking, as efficiency in burning. I'm getting 6 inch blue flames from the center, but only very small flames from the holes in the rim. I want a way to maximize flames from the rim and minimize flames from the center, once the stove is heated.

I plan to make an Ion stove asap... I don't drink canned drinks, so coming by them is surprisingly difficult. That's one of my "issues"... I've taken to scavenging parkinglots and streets for cans. :|

As for what tools I have, that's pretty limited too.

Thanks for the help!

Seeker
12-15-2005, 18:39
you don't need any fancy tools... they help, but it's not really necessary... just easier... i once got bored at work and made a pepsi stove at my desk with scissors and a pushpin... that was it... my point about the drill press and bits was that it enables me to easily experiment with the precise size and numbers of holes... you can do the same with a needle and some pliers, or a pushpin, if you are very careful. that's all i meant.

as far as the height of your flames, what you're seeing actually sounds about right... little flames from the little holes, big flame from the big center hole... and the real test IS it's efficiency in gettting water to boil in a few minutes with a half ounce of fuel... doesn't matter how...

however, if you simply have to have big flames coming out of the little holes, you need to cover the big hole... and now we're getting into pressurized stove territory. i did see one design that had holes in the side of the can, and you could rest your pot (carefully) on the can itself... this sealed the big hole, and forced flames out of the sides... not sure how well it worked, as i didn't like the idea of such a small balancing point for my pot... once i found rock's ion stove, i pretty much settled on that piece of gear until someone shows me something better... but i'm not looking anymore...

MisterSweetie
12-15-2005, 19:04
as far as the height of your flames, what you're seeing actually sounds about right... little flames from the little holes, big flame from the big center hole... and the real test IS it's efficiency in gettting water to boil in a few minutes with a half ounce of fuel... doesn't matter how...
I guess where my confusion comes in is that if my flame is coming probably 90% from the center hole, why not just skip the trouble of putting in the burner holes and let the stove burn completely from the center hole.

Skidsteer
12-15-2005, 19:32
I guess where my confusion comes in is that if my flame is coming probably 90% from the center hole, why not just skip the trouble of putting in the burner holes and let the stove burn completely from the center hole.

Try it and see. The proof is in the boil. Ever, always. Remember to keep the main thing the main thing and have fun with it.:)

dla
12-16-2005, 11:33

Good point. Fact is that there isn't much difference between a stove and just burning the alcohol in a dish. What is cute is using the aluminum shell of tea candle - but it doesn't hold enough fuel to boil much.

Lanthar Mandragoran
12-16-2005, 11:58
Good point. Fact is that there isn't much difference between a stove and just burning the alcohol in a dish. What is cute is using the aluminum shell of tea candle - but it doesn't hold enough fuel to boil much.

Hog on Ice (http://www.datasync.com/%7Ewksmith/hoikit.html) would dissgree with you... he uses a tea candle and a heinie canpot along with a cozy to cook most of his meals...

Seeker
12-16-2005, 12:43

the small holes help with combustion, somehow... beats me why it works, but it does... maybe it helps get the right air mixture, like a carburator... i think there's probably an optimum ratio between the surface area of all the holes and how wide they're spread apart, and the efficiency of the stove... i'm not enough of an engineer to really get that wrapped around the details... like i said, i've built about 20 of the buggers, trying out different stuff, and i do keep notes... but once i found the ion, i have pretty much quit looking...

MisterSweetie
12-16-2005, 14:33
Speaking of the Ion stove (which I will commence to make after I've emptied another of the cans [V8 Splash, which I can stomach])... care to take a picture and show it, especially compared to something of known size, like a quarter, or a soda can or something. The pictures Rock has are great, but I can't see anything in them that give an idea of the ion's size, except in my imagination.

Wow I just said a lot for a simple request. :) :P

Thanks!

Seeker
12-16-2005, 15:39
no can do, unfortunately... no digital camera... however, it's about 2" wide and about 3/4" high... about like a box of dental floss, but way lighter... i use an aluminum cat food can with parts of the sides cut out as a pot stand. i'll look at borrowing one from a neighbor and see what i can do though...

MisterSweetie
12-16-2005, 16:21
no can do, unfortunately... no digital camera... however, it's about 2" wide and about 3/4" high... about like a box of dental floss, but way lighter... i use an aluminum cat food can with parts of the sides cut out as a pot stand. i'll look at borrowing one from a neighbor and see what i can do though...Thanks for trying man! I'm sure someone around here will be able to put a pic of it up, maybe even the inventor. :) Thanks!

jlb2012
12-17-2005, 18:13
Hog on Ice (http://www.datasync.com/%7Ewksmith/hoikit.html) would dissgree with you... he uses a tea candle and a heinie canpot along with a cozy to cook most of his meals...

As with many things it is mostly a question of the overall system - in my case I was trying to find a burner which was relatively fuel efficient with the Heineken 24 ounce can as a pot to boil water - most of the other burners had the flames going up the side of the can - finally I just tried a tea light candle - for somewhat unknown reasons it turned out to be reasonably fuel efficient for boiling enough water for a Lipton's meal - note however that the tea light candle tin does not hold enough for boiling 2 cups of water but it will boil 1.75 cups of water(enough for a Lipton's meal) under most circumstances - for those circumstances where it does not bring the water to a boil it is very easy to refill safely because the tin cools down very quickly - actually it isn't a _refill_ since I generally only add a few more milliliters and then relight - when the water does boil it is also easy to blow out the flame and save the remaining fuel for next time - blow straight down onto the flame - recently I have added an insulated lid to the pot - this seems to help the efficiency and reduce the time to boil from the foil lid I previously used

MisterSweetie
12-17-2005, 19:04
I realize this will probably make some people question my observational ability, but I've just noticed that the Ion Stove does not have the inner wall that is so common with most can stoves. I can't wait to just make one of these so I can see it in action... I'll do it soon, of course.

Seeker
12-19-2005, 12:48
also, if you look at the picture on rock's ion site, the diameter is that of a small V8 juice can... you can sort of extrapolate from there...

MisterSweetie
12-19-2005, 14:52
also, if you look at the picture on rock's ion site, the diameter is that of a small V8 juice can... you can sort of extrapolate from there...
Ya, very true. It's a small stove, that's for sure. I like it. I made one over the weekend, but don't have the small drillbit to do the holes. I'll do that this weekend and fire it up.

Thanks!

Seeker
12-19-2005, 15:46
cool! so you did make one... that's great...

you can use a pin and a pair of pliers to make the holes, or even just an office pushpin...

let us know what you think... btw, i used an aluminuminuminum catfood can for a stand... just marked three 'pillars' i wanted to leave in place, and cut out all the rest of the sides... works great, and is lighter than a steel can. the pot to stove distance is just right too.

Smile
12-19-2005, 23:26
Who makes the 'best' or most economical pepsi stoves ?

Seeker
12-20-2005, 01:57
Who makes the 'best' or most economical pepsi stoves ?

You do! free cans, free labor...

actually, my favorite design is Sgt Rock's Ion Stove. small, efficient, pretty quick (for an alcohol stove, though i'm never in a hurry), quiet, and light. cooks just fine for 1 person.

Smile
12-20-2005, 02:01
Good advice, will check out his site now.....