PDA

View Full Version : Gear Talk: Weekend Backpack, what's your choice?

BenOnAdventures
07-21-2015, 08:58
Good morning adventurers, I just did a review for a pretty good weekend pack, feel free to checkout which one it is here: https://www.facebook.com/benonadventures/posts/1634738110073512 But with that in mind what's your favorite weekend pack? Also, feel free to comment your opinion on the pack I reviewed, thanks and let's talk!!

joe.vance.440
07-22-2015, 16:09
I like my osprey atmos ag 50, it's been doing good. Bought it this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coffee
07-22-2015, 16:13
ULA CDT is my new pack for short trips. However I have yet to test it on an actual real trip. Seems great around town with 18 pounds in it.

Venchka
07-22-2015, 17:48
I never have understood why it takes one pack for weekends, another pack for 1 week trips and yet another for trips longer than a week.
I guess that is why I have stuck to the first two packs that I bought that didn't try to kill me on the trail. Actually, the small one is good for trips from overnight up to a full week on the trail while the larger will carry more than I can pick up. I can't see the need for a third pack.
But that is just me.

Wayne

FlyFishNut
07-22-2015, 20:49
For weekend, minimalist hikes I like my Arcteryx Bora 40 -- I bought it in Whistler (on my honeymoon) almost 20 years ago. (It's in better shape than my marriage).

This pack has been to the Caribbean 6 times (it held ALL my clothes and gear), out West - hiked into Yellowstone and everywhere in between. It has a rip on the outer pocket from jamming climbing ropes in it and trying to zip it up - but still going strong. Love it.

q-tip
07-23-2015, 11:45
I don't know about the weekend idea. When I hike, one night or three months I need to take fundamentally the same equipment to stay safe, dry and warm. Food seems to be the variable. Any 40-60 l pack should work. My go-to pack is the Granite Gear Crown VC.

nsherry61
07-23-2015, 13:09
I have fun going minimalist with my Marmot Ultra Kompressor 22 when it is a weekend trip with good summer weather in the forecast. Otherwise, I carry the same pack I would for any other trip as suggested by many posts above. For minimalist summer weekends, a pack closer to 30 L would be more versatile and easier to pack than my Kompressor, but then, I have the Kompressor and I love the features it has, and being so small it forces me to keep my minimalism minimal.

Studlintsean
07-23-2015, 13:17
I don't know about the weekend idea. When I hike, one night or three months I need to take fundamentally the same equipment to stay safe, dry and warm. Food seems to be the variable. Any 40-60 l pack should work. My go-to pack is the Granite Gear Crown VC.

I agree with this and always wondered why people have packs for different length trips. I do use a smaller pack for day hikes with my fiance. Other than that, I use a ULA Circuit 12 months out of the year.

An exception might be if you are in the high country during winter which I am not.

TREKMAN001
07-23-2015, 15:57
I use an Osprey Kestrel 48. In the winter it is a tight fit, but for overnighters it is fine. I have used it for three day trips without issue. The 48L is kind of tight, I would like to purchase something larger for longer trips, but the upside is you don't overpack! It, and this website, have taught me to pack very lean and light(er).
Guy.

colorado_rob
07-23-2015, 18:52
I agree with this and always wondered why people have packs for different length trips. I do use a smaller pack for day hikes with my fiance. Other than that, I use a ULA Circuit 12 months out of the year...Yeah, kinda agree, but since I have a couple day packs, and they are big enough for 2 days of food (and all other gear), I have used my 30L pack for a single overnighter many times. In fact, going to use it this Sat/Sunday doing the Snowy Range loop in WY (in last months BP magazine... hopefully not too crowded!)

All other multi-day hikes it's my ULA OHM 2.0. Except mountaineering expeditions.... then it's a 65L Osprey.

All-in-all, between my wife and I, I think we own about 15 packs, about a dozen of which we use a lot for different activities....

Coffee
07-24-2015, 08:08
Obviously the main difference between an overnight pack and a pack for a longer hike is food weight and volume. My Circuit simply has too much volume capacity for an overnight hike. So why not go with something smaller and lighter like the CDT? I think it makes a lot of sense.

Studlintsean
07-24-2015, 08:49
Obviously the main difference between an overnight pack and a pack for a longer hike is food weight and volume. My Circuit simply has too much volume capacity for an overnight hike. So why not go with something smaller and lighter like the CDT? I think it makes a lot of sense.

I I understand your point here Coffee. Most of my hikes are weekend hikes and often involve a dog, brother or friend and the miles are pretty limited (~12 mile days average). If the dog comes I normally carry some extra gear for him and maybe some food (he has a pack but is 10 so doesn't carry much anymore). Also, I can normally deal with a few extra pounds or ounces in the pack which doesn't justify me buying a weekend one (I'm frugal). But I completely understand your logic and may do the same in the future.

Venchka
07-24-2015, 09:35
Rob,
That's a good looking outfitter shop. :D Where is it located? ;) Do you have a link to their web site? :D
Just funnin' with you. I'm envious. Mrs. Wayne would be pleased if I had that much space for my gear and it was so neatly organized.

Wayne

colorado_rob
07-24-2015, 10:54
[QUOTE=Venchka;1991061.. Mrs. Wayne would be pleased if I had that much space for my gear and it was so neatly organized.

Wayne[/QUOTE]Just a devoted basement room, used to be a "media room". the thing is, 60%+ of that stuff is Mrs. Rob's (especially the clothes racks on the right....) !