PDA

View Full Version : GAMEr's guide to Baxter & Katahdin

TJ aka Teej
07-21-2015, 10:02
In light of recent events, I've decided to print up a tip sheet for GAMErs.
It'll be distributed in Caratunk and Monson, at the hostels and service providers, and via select social media.
My intent is for it to be in the voice of Maret's Philosopher's guide.

Here's an early draft, help and suggestions appreciated:

Congrats! You're almost there!
Some things you might want to know:

Monson: If you're really late in the season, consider a flip up to Katahdin, and a hike back to Monson thru the 100.
Baxter: When you get to the Park, there will be only 12 spots at the Birches each night for long distance hikers. You can either chance getting a spot, or call ahead from Monson and see if there are any open spots at Katahdin Stream Campground. KSC is on the AT with a water source, the Birches are up a dirt road a bit from the campground with no water. If you're looking at a weekday in September or October you may score a site to share with a friend or two. Call the Park at (207) 723-5140, you can charge the $30 fee over the phone. Tell them you're a thru, and you'll pick up the paperwork at the KSC Ranger's Cabin.
The end of the 100 Mile: A short road walk brings you to a small store with limited re-supply and a restaurant. You can stay in bunkhouses at the private campground, or at the State campground across the river. Pay the small fee, #dontbethathiker.
Timing: Avoid Labor Day weekend. KSC is booked solid by a Native American group. Try to summit by the first week in October, later dates are pushing the weather window.
Money: Bring cash! You need cash to pay for camping and firewood. No credit cards!
Baxter again: It's pack-it-in-pack-it-out. No garbage cans, no running water, no re-supply, no mail-drops, no guaranteed cell connection, no electricity, dirt roads.
Dogs: No dogs, with the exception of service dogs. Please don't try to fake Fido in as a service dog. Service dogs must be on a leash at all times. Thought western Maine was tough with Fido? Wait til you hit Katahdin. Kennel that dog.
Personal Behavior: Be nice, you're a guest in Baxter. No booze, no pot, no over-the-top partying. Don't tag shelters or signs. Follow the rules, act responsibly, and don't screw it up for the Class of '16.
Leave no trace means leave no bad impressions too.
Climbing Katahdin: Get an early start, before the car campers and drive-ins. Since you checked in with the Ranger when you showed up, you know you can leave your pack on the porch, and borrow a day pack they supply for free, Fleeces, rain gear, hats, gloves, headlamp, snacks and water - pack smart for the Greatest Mountain. Sign out at the Trailhead, read and respect the posted cautions. Keep your group to 10 at the most.
Getting home: Starting in September a shuttle (fee) often comes to the KSC at about 4PM. Try to hook up a ride if you can from fellow campers. Hitch-hike into Millinocket if you have to. Most folks leaving the Park are heading there.
After your hike: Contact the guidebook folks with your corrections and suggestions. Send those thank-you notes and the I Made It! cards to the service providers who helped you on your way. Join a trail crew!

edits in bold.

Lone Wolf
07-21-2015, 11:22
looks good and thourough. BUT. lots of hikers read these things but go on and do what they want anyway

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 11:37
Love it. I seek information as I hike. This is information overload for some. Many won't read. This is great information for those that care. I wish there was a summary like this everywhere I went.

JimBlue
07-21-2015, 12:25
Sounds good, but herding cats doesn't always work. I do read caution signs.

Some of the strangest ones I read years ago was a sign telling me it was hot and I should be careful. Well, it was in Texas in August, humidity was 25% and the temperature was 110F. Yeah, I knew it was hot and dry and I could pass out from lack of water and the heat. So that sign was kinda silly.

jersey joe
07-21-2015, 15:20
This is a great idea. Something constructive, as opposed to the general negativity on WB lately regarding rules.

I know on my thru-hike I had no idea what the rules and regulations were in the next section and just figured things out as I went.

One suggestiong: maybe you could provide information for a local kennel for people hiking with dogs.
Also, the more concise the better. Think short bullet points, less paragraphs.

Old Hiker
07-21-2015, 16:10
Thanks for the info, TJ. Cut and pasted into my AT 2016 file for future reference.

Info helps planning.

peakbagger
07-21-2015, 16:31
The only edits I would suggest

No store in Baxter, if you need or want something, buy it at Abol bridge.

Abol Campground inside the park (Not to be confused with the Abol Bridge camping options )is a second choice if KSC is full, its a 2 mile walk down a dusty road from the AT and KSC but is less popular this year as the Abol Trail up the mountain is closed in 2015.

Another Kevin
07-21-2015, 17:18
It would be interesting if we could get ATC on board with the idea that a hiker could forgo Katahdin voluntarily. If so, we could add,

"Please also consider ending your hike at Abol Bridge. Katahdin gets many more visitors than Baxter State Park can hope to handle, and you will be doing the trail a service by avoiding this fragile environment. If you wish to visit Katahdin, it would be more responsible to schedule your visit through the park's reservation system, so that capacity can be managed. (Here comes the part that ATC would have to agree to: ) Be aware that your hike will be recognized as a '2000 miler' even if you voluntarily forgo the Katahdin climb at the end of it."

Maybe even arrange for a form letter of thanks from the BSPA for those who comply.

(Although I suspect that such a notice will selectively eliminate those who would have climbed Katahdin respectfully, while having no effect on the inconsiderate.)

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 17:28
Much of the Hunt Trail is not that fragile. Much of it is huge rocks that our sneakers barely polish. If people walk up and walk down without leaving stuff behind and while staying on the trail, the hill would not suffer much. Much of the alpine regions prior to Katahdin are much more fragile. Fourth Mountain Bog is such an area. This is not indended to dissuade you from your concern. It is intended to bring attention to a fact that I am sure you agree with, that fragile areas exist all over. Katahdin is fine to visit. People just need to be respectful while they are there. Ideally, they would be everywhere. One way or another, they will be there.

Another Kevin
07-21-2015, 17:43
Much of the Hunt Trail is not that fragile. Much of it is huge rocks that our sneakers barely polish. If people walk up and walk down without leaving stuff behind and while staying on the trail, the hill would not suffer much. Much of the alpine regions prior to Katahdin are much more fragile. Fourth Mountain Bog is such an area. This is not indended to dissuade you from your concern. It is intended to bring attention to a fact that I am sure you agree with, that fragile areas exist all over. Katahdin is fine to visit. People just need to be respectful while they are there. Ideally, they would be everywhere. One way or another, they will be there.

I had had that general impression until Mr. Bissell's letter last year. He explicitly stated that the sheer number of A-T hikers was a problem, entirely apart from their behaviour. The numbers cannot be controlled without inducing someone to stay away.

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 18:03
I had had that general impression until Mr. Bissell's letter last year. He explicitly stated that the sheer number of A-T hikers was a problem, entirely apart from their behaviour. The numbers cannot be controlled without inducing someone to stay away.

I do not disagree with your assessment. Your first impression is correct. There are much more fragile areas. Fourth Mountain Bog just came to mind as I typed. It is a rare gem. It is much more fragile. Katahdin has an advocate. He is doing his job. Most of the trail has no such advocate even though much of it is much more fragile. I guess my point is that if we fight the thought of protecting Katahdin (not you) then the rest of the trail is really hurting.

This whole subject is killing me. I so don't understand the fight. We agree that the trail needs friends. Baxter happens to be a fierce friend. Would to God we were as fierce. I know I was very very careful going down the trail. I really need to put all trail concern threads on ignore for a while. I don't get the debate. I love the trail. I abhor in words that cannot be expressed those that think it is no big deal to treat it like a party place.

As to the numbers being a concern, thru's represent 3% of the hikers. The problem is they consume 20% of Baxter's effort. That is why the 3% is a numbers problem. It is not the numbers in and of itself. It is the resources they demand. Lower the reason for the demand and the numbers no longer matter. That is another fact that blows my mind that is beyond the grasp of most.

Donde
07-21-2015, 18:30
Love the proactive idea here. Though I do recall that at least in 2010 and 2013 BSP itself printed and distributed a very similar sheet to hostels and some shelters in Maine. Best of lcuk.

egilbe
07-21-2015, 18:34
It would be interesting if we could get ATC on board with the idea that a hiker could forgo Katahdin voluntarily. If so, we could add,

"Please also consider ending your hike at Abol Bridge. Katahdin gets many more visitors than Baxter State Park can hope to handle, and you will be doing the trail a service by avoiding this fragile environment. If you wish to visit Katahdin, it would be more responsible to schedule your visit through the park's reservation system, so that capacity can be managed. (Here comes the part that ATC would have to agree to:) Be aware that your hike will be recognized as a '2000 miler' even if you voluntarily forgo the Katahdin climb at the end of it."

Maybe even arrange for a form letter of thanks from the BSPA for those who comply.

(Although I suspect that such a notice will selectively eliminate those who would have climbed Katahdin respectfully, while having no effect on the inconsiderate.)
I actually like this idea.

most of the fragile areas are inaccessible, too. Katahdin, for all its remoteness, is still visited by people who have never walked the AT at all. Fourth Mountain bog is too much trouble to get to.

Lauriep
07-21-2015, 18:49
Super helpful, concise, and constructive information about Baxter State Park. This is a terrific start.

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 19:03
I actually like this idea.

most of the fragile areas are inaccessible, too. Katahdin, for all its remoteness, is still visited by people who have never walked the AT at all. Fourth Mountain bog is too much trouble to get to.

Every successful thru goes through it. I used it as an apples to apples illustration. If our goal is to be mindful of fragile areas and if that goal prohibits us from climbing Katahdin, then we must also avoid more fragile areas like the bog. If we avoid Katahdin because of a speed trap or crazy cat lady, then we have little interest in understanding the struggle. It is fine to visit Katahdin. We of all people should be the least issue for that hill. We should understand better than any day hiker how to do no damage. The fact that we consume 20% of resourse being only 3% of hikers speaks to our intent. We should be ghosts in comparison to those who have little or no training in LNT. We are only an issue because we choose to be one. It is not logical that the saving of Katahdin is best accomplished by leaving it to the least informed and experienced. We should be Katahdin's and the rest of the trail's best friends and advocates and protectors. It is a sad commentary that we are not... and that is a choice.

Another Kevin
07-21-2015, 19:32
As to the numbers being a concern, thru's represent 3% of the hikers. The problem is they consume 20% of Baxter's effort. That is why the 3% is a numbers problem. It is not the numbers in and of itself. It is the resources they demand. Lower the reason for the demand and the numbers no longer matter. That is another fact that blows my mind that is beyond the grasp of most.

Mr Bissell's letter actually appeared to make two separate points. One was that hiker behaviour was insupportable, and that it was unacceptable for 3% of his guests to consume 20% of his staff time. The second was that the 3%, even if their behaviour were exemplary, are still too many. He called upon the ATC to abandon its stated plank of " We strive to create an ever-expanding community of doers and dreamers,..." as incompatible with its goal of sustainabiliity - or at least to clarify that the ever-expanding community is not actually physically present on the trail.

Fourth Mountain Bog just came to mind as I typed. It is a rare gem. It is much more fragile.

I'm certainly aware of the fragility of high-elevation acid wetlands, and the fact that a good many endangered species have them as their sole habitat. Is there a specific problem at Fourth Mountain Bog that I'm unaware of? I've seen pictures of it, and it's a lovely place. It reminds me a bit of where the Mud Lake outlet joins up with Moose Creek in the Silver Lakes Wilderness in the Adirondacks. It looks like a similar community, with cedar, alder and tamarack being the dominant macroflora, cranberry and leatherleaf as scrub and shrub, and various sedges and heaths, together with water lily, blue flag, sphagnum, pitcher plants, sundew, and lichens such as Usnea. (I realize that Mud Lake outlet is a fen, rather than a bog, but with the high acidity, the conditions are similar.)
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/15402044190_8ff1683782_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pt2v93)

For what it's worth, I often violate "please stay on bog bridging," but only by falling off it, or on at least two occasions in the last year, through it! Either departure from the puncheons is painful enough that I consider it ample punishment for the transgression of leaving the bridge. Moreover, wading in quicksand and beaver water is not my idea of a good time.

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 19:43
No problem in the bog that I am aware of. Most are too wound up about how they are going to celebrate on Baxter Peak to even notice it was there. I knelt on those log paths for about an hour imbedding pictures in my brain of things I will likely never see again when I crossed that area. It none the less is far more fragile than that rocky peak.

imscotty
07-21-2015, 19:57
Wow, thank you so much for taking this on TeeJ. You are truly a fine ambassador for the trail.

Scott

Jeff
07-22-2015, 05:23
Love that you are proactively doing something positive. When you finish your final draft we will post it at our hostel in Manchester Center. Can't get the message out too early !!!

The Philosophers Guide is a great read if you like the history of the trails old time service providers. Different from AWOL and The Companion because opinions and recommendations are throughout Maret's trail guide.

TJ aka Teej
07-22-2015, 22:09
The Philosophers Guide is a great read if you like the history of the trails old time service providers. Different from AWOL and The Companion because opinions and recommendations are throughout Maret's trail guide.
Absolutely! Maret's guides - still have my '89 and '90 - were like getting the inside scoop.

TJ aka Teej
07-22-2015, 22:11
The only edits I would suggest

No store in Baxter, if you need or want something, buy it at Abol bridge.

Abol Campground inside the park (Not to be confused with the Abol Bridge camping options )is a second choice if KSC is full, its a 2 mile walk down a dusty road from the AT and KSC but is less popular this year as the Abol Trail up the mountain is closed in 2015.

Thanks, peakbagger!

TJ aka Teej
07-22-2015, 22:15
One suggestion: maybe you could provide information for a local kennel for people hiking with dogs.
Also, the more concise the better. Think short bullet points, less paragraphs.

Thanks, Joe. Trying to keep it one-page, a tri-fold pamphlet with #s and such on the back. Brevity is key.

Dogwood
07-22-2015, 22:20
THX Teej. Good move. WOW. Holy Fkin **** balls. Moving forward out of the muck we are.

Sly
07-23-2015, 13:56

"Please also consider ending your hike at Abol Bridge. Katahdin gets many more visitors than Baxter State Park can hope to handle, and you will be doing the trail a service by avoiding this fragile environment. If you wish to visit Katahdin, it would be more responsible to schedule your visit through the park's reservation system, so that capacity can be managed. (Here comes the part that ATC would have to agree to: ) Be aware that your hike will be recognized as a '2000 miler' even if you voluntarily forgo the Katahdin climb at the end of it."

I thought of a similar suggestion over dinner after Tuesday's meeting with BSP. The gist of it if hikers weren't able to climb Katahdin because of weather rather than group up they could forgo climbing the mountain in the folowing days and still be granted 2000-Miler status. Initial opinions were not positive, but I think it still has merit.

peakbagger
07-23-2015, 15:44
If I remember correctly there is already a exclusion for a continuous thru hike if the hiker has to skip a section if it is closed or unsafe. If BSP posts the summit as a class 3 day, the summit is deemed unsafe and therefore its already covered as an acceptable exclusion?

Having encountered two sections of the AT during my sectioning years, one closed due to tropical storm damage in the Standing Indian Area and the Priest in VA due to unsafe conditions, (high winds and 20 degree F with wet snow), I believe the exception covered blue blazing but I drove back down there the next year just in case. Post Hurricane Irene when the AT in VT and NH was closed I believe some thru hikers were borderline 2000 milers due to the large gap but were still considered as thru hikers as the trail was official closed by the authorities.

Sly
07-23-2015, 16:18
If I remember correctly there is already a exclusion for a continuous thru hike if the hiker has to skip a section if it is closed or unsafe. If BSP posts the summit as a class 3 day, the summit is deemed unsafe and therefore its already covered as an acceptable exclusion?

Having encountered two sections of the AT during my sectioning years, one closed due to tropical storm damage in the Standing Indian Area and the Priest in VA due to unsafe conditions, (high winds and 20 degree F with wet snow), I believe the exception covered blue blazing but I drove back down there the next year just in case. Post Hurricane Irene when the AT in VT and NH was closed I believe some thru hikers were borderline 2000 milers due to the large gap but were still considered as thru hikers as the trail was official closed by the authorities.

I made similar arguments but it was late in the day after a five hour meeting. Still, I believe this approach may help most with the grouping problem.

Once I go over my notes I'll make a bulleted list of suggestions which was broken down into near, mid and long term solutions. Of course, many on Teej's list in the original post are also included.

Lynnette
07-23-2015, 16:30
Hi
Doggie Day Care by Debby in Millinocket. We took our introverted dog over and saw her place. Dogs do well there. She will even come and get ur animal. They are put all together, bark initially, actually eat together and figure out that these other canines are my hiking buddies. A year old cell number 207 723 6795. Got it from the park office, but who ever it was answered the phone at the AT lodge asked me if I needed it as well. I think it was 25$ for about 30 hours.
Cake

Another Kevin
07-23-2015, 16:57
I thought of a similar suggestion over dinner after Tuesday's meeting with BSP. The gist of it if hikers weren't able to climb Katahdin because of weather rather than group up they could forgo climbing the mountain in the folowing days and still be granted 2000-Miler status. Initial opinions were not positive, but I think it still has merit.

Thanks for attending the meeting - which, I imagine, was quite awkward. Thanks for sharing some of the initial impressions from it. As much noise as I make, I profoundly appreciate all that both agencies do.

Sly
07-23-2015, 18:50
Thanks for attending the meeting - which, I imagine, was quite awkward. Thanks for sharing some of the initial impressions from it. As much noise as I make, I profoundly appreciate all that both agencies do.

Actually, the meeting was quite cordial. Everyone was on the same page trying to solve the problems with hiker behavior and the increased number of AT hikers.

TJ aka Teej
07-23-2015, 19:09
Hi
Doggie Day Care by Debby in Millinocket.

Thanks, Cake! AT Lodge is really tapped in to everything going on in Millinocket, not surprised they handled that call!

JimBlue
07-24-2015, 18:04

I'm not overly concerned about status... but if I decided to not hike on the Maine part of the AT, would I stil lbe a thru-hiker ? Or a thru-hiker with less than 2,000 miles ? It is very likely, I wouldn't have the money to do more than say, a month of hiking at a time per year.

mountain squid
07-24-2015, 18:10
Overall it might be a bit much for some to read thoroughly, but otherwise pretty good.

Personal Behavior: Be nice, you're a guest in Baxter. No booze, no pot, no over-the-top partying. Don't tag shelters or signs. Follow the rules, act responsibly, and don't screw it up for the Class of '16.

I wouldn't mention a specific class. Leave it open for 'future hikers' or something similar, ie, 'and don't screw it up for future hikers'. You also might want to make that the final bullet, since that is a direct concern and shouldn't be overlooked.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

Sly
07-24-2015, 18:15
I'm not overly concerned about status... but if I decided to not hike on the Maine part of the AT, would I stil lbe a thru-hiker ? Or a thru-hiker with less than 2,000 miles ? It is very likely, I wouldn't have the money to do more than say, a month of hiking at a time per year.

The definition of "thru-hiker" is generally one that completes a long distance trail in one season. The ATC doesn't award certificates for such. They do award certificates for 2000-Milers who hike the entire white-blaze trail either in on trip or many (section-hikes).

JimBlue
07-24-2015, 18:17
The definition of "thru-hiker" is generally one that completes a long distance trail in one season. The ATC doesn't award certificates for such. They do award certificates for 2000-Milers who hike the entire white-blaze trail either in on trip or many (section-hikes).

Okay, thanks. I knew there was no cert, should have mentioned that.

TJ aka Teej
07-24-2015, 18:50
I wouldn't mention a specific class. Leave it open for 'future hikers' or something similar, ie, 'and don't screw it up for future hikers'. You also might want to make that the final bullet, since that is a direct concern and shouldn't be overlooked.
Yup, taking out the "Class of '16" also increases shelf life. Might make that the first bullet, actually.

Another Kevin
07-24-2015, 18:51

And BSP's working definition of 'thru-hiker' appears to be "one who enters BSP on foot from Abol Bridge," whether they're coming from the campgrounds, Monson, or Springer.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2015, 19:28

they USED to give out thru-hiker certificate

WingedMonkey
07-24-2015, 20:07
[QUOTE=TJ aka Teej;1990171]

Monson: If you're really late in the season, consider a flip up to Katahdin, and a hike back to Monson thru the 100.

I'd leave that recommendation out.

Seems to me all the hop, skipping, and jumping, to Katahdin is part of the problem.

Sly
07-24-2015, 22:14
And BSP's working definition of 'thru-hiker' appears to be "one who enters BSP on foot from Abol Bridge," whether they're coming from the campgrounds, Monson, or Springer.

BSP's definition is doing the 100 Mile wilderness. Hiking from Abol bridge or the middle of the wilderness wouldn't allow a space in the Birches.

Sly
07-24-2015, 22:16
they USED to give out thru-hiker certificate

Really? I wonder when they stopped and how many they gave out?

TJ aka Teej
07-07-2016, 15:29
Really? I wonder when they stopped and how many they gave out?
The Katahdin Stream Ranger gave ATC 2000 miler applications to hikers, not certificates.

Sarcasm the elf
07-07-2016, 17:21
BSP posted this photo to their Facebook page a few days ago, one of the first Thru hikers to be issued the new permit. Thought it would be worth sharing here:
(Click on the thumbnail for a larger image)

rocketsocks
07-07-2016, 18:00
BSP posted this photo to their Facebook page a few days ago, one of the first Thru hikers to be issued the new permit. Thought it would be worth sharing here:
(Click on the thumbnail for a larger image)

35412...and so, it begins.

TJ aka Teej
09-08-2016, 13:55
re: a 2016 edition of the brochure - I'm skipping this year due to the wonderful work the ATC is doing in Monson, and while I await feedback on the new permitting program. For 2017 the brochure will include the 100 Mile Wilderness!