PDA

View Full Version : Crotch rot/swamp crotch....causes and treatment???

saltysack
07-21-2015, 10:07
After hiking this past week in the heat....sweating profusely me and my son got a rash/irritated area in that AREA(taint)!!!! How do you treat this? I had a small stick of skin glide but after the fact was useless. I even tried my dogs mushers secret! Helped a little and was better next day until the following day of hiking. I'm doing jmt this sept in a tight timeframe with higher mileage days 16mpd. I've never had this before as I never hike in hot weather. Thinking I should pack diaper rash ointment? Can't afford to get this in jmt where in under a time/ mileage schedule....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-21-2015, 10:21
Yup, A&D ointment always works for me, o'coarse keeping it lean at the end of the day to, then reapply.

HooKooDooKu
07-21-2015, 10:29
In a pinch, neosporin from my first aid kit has been a big help. It acts like petroleum jelly to help things slide and the antibiotics help kill off any irritating germs.

For prevention, I've found an anti friction stick by the makers of bandaid brand. The container is blue and looks like a tiny deodorant stick. I first saw it at a Walgreens and I thing I recently spied it at a Walmart. Look in first aid around ointments (like for itching). Didn't notice the Walmart price buy I seem to recall the Walgreens price was like $7-$10.

Gambit McCrae
07-21-2015, 10:33
For once there is a subject I can be helpful with :) haha I have gotten this so bad that at the end of the day I had skin and blood smears on my shorts. No more thought as I follow these helpful tools EVERYTRIP. Always carry them and do them no matter how tired or how long you have gone without have this issue come up

1-Loose fitting shorts/ pants
2-skin tight undies or leggings
3-BodyGlide(not a knockoff-this stuff is made for runners and has saved my hiney several times, no pun intended)
4-At the end of everyday or close to the end of the day of hiking BATHE, get a bandana and wash your body with spring water you will sleep tremendously better an it helps those sensitive areas heal during the night
5-lighter pack doesn't hurt
6-at night when you sleep change those tight underwear out for a baggy pair or if solo in tent I sleep in the buff to air out

Gambit McCrae
07-21-2015, 10:37
https://www.bodyglide.com/BodyGlide

Mouser999
07-21-2015, 10:41
Paceline "Chamios Cream". favorite for cyclists. Comes in tube and small pouches

atraildreamer
07-21-2015, 11:17
Gold Bond powder (especially the stuff in the green container) will take care of the problem. You'll know its working when you start screaming and jumping! :eek: :banana

Namtrag
07-21-2015, 11:31
all of the above, especially cleaning the area every night and sleeping in the buff to air it out if possible. I usually use a wet wipe to clean up the area, then apply copious amounts of anti-monkey butt powder.

KimmyWasHere
07-21-2015, 12:16
Body glide is a life saver! No knock offs work as well as it does. Also plain cornstarch can help keep you dry and won't irritate (like some Gold Bond---ouch!!)

garlic08
07-21-2015, 13:07
If you suspect a fungus is at play, try a fungicide ointment.

saltysack
07-21-2015, 13:20
I assume u apply the body glide in morning before hiking? I bought some of the little containers but don't think would be enough to cover much...yall carry the larger stick?

daddytwosticks
07-21-2015, 16:16
All great suggestions. I feel your pain. Looks like you lived up to your trail name during that hike. :)

12trysomething
07-21-2015, 16:43
Baby Monkey Butt is the best stuff I have found.

Honuben
07-21-2015, 18:30
There are a few different ways that i've dealt with the chaf. Compression underwear works well underneath pants. I dont like the heat and sweart that is till generated there but the compression u/w prevents the rubbing of skin. Another way to deal with it is to tough it out and build up some "tougher" skin down there. But that is not an ideal short term solution. My favorite way is wearing well ventilated light weight shorts with liner, no u/w. Better ventilation dries sweat plus my "thicker" or "calloused" thighs allow for a pain free zone.

Maui Rhino
07-21-2015, 18:58
I do everything Gambit does, and it has eliminated chafing for me. Even if I bathe during the day, I use a couple of baby wipes to clean the crotch area thoroughly before bed. On my JMT, I used 2.5 sticks of Body Glide over the course of the hike. Along with using it on my inner thighs/privates, I used it on my feet to prevent blisters or hot spots, and under my knee brace. A few days into my hike, I started getting some chafing under my arm from the pack strap. A generous application of BG cleared it right up. Great stuff!

MuddyWaters
07-21-2015, 19:00
Wash the salt out your undies? Before it chafes?

Ive never had issue wearing compression shorts.

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 19:16
Wash the salt out your undies? Before it chafes?

Ive never had issue wearing compression shorts.

I am with MW on this one. I do laundry daily... often that is via a long swim. Great tips if I ever do have an issue though. I am taking notes.

Deer Hunter
07-21-2015, 19:30
I assume u apply the body glide in morning before hiking? I bought some of the little containers but don't think would be enough to cover much...yall carry the larger stick?

I put it on before I start hiking. I put it on many parts of my body(waist band area, spots on my feet, shoulder where straps might rub, etc.) Which size I carry depends on how long I'm going to be hiking.

saltysack
07-21-2015, 19:39
U swim with undies and shorts on? Hiking wet would cause irritations yes? For jmt I plan to jump in the lakes daily and now thinking about bringing a separate pair of ua compression undies...always have a clean dry pair...

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 19:49
U swim with undies and shorts on? Hiking wet would cause irritations yes? For jmt I plan to jump in the lakes daily and now thinking about bringing a separate pair of ua compression undies...always have a clean dry pair...

I swim everywhere I can... and yes fully clothed. Never gave it a thought. I believe the salt is a big issue. There are days I am in the water 4 or 5 times. Then again, I am from Maine. Perhaps our skin is different.

saltysack
07-21-2015, 19:52
I live in the salty water...sup or yak.....hence my name...I'll def be swimming on jmt...

Grampie
07-22-2015, 09:49
During my thru I hiked in a pair of shorts with the mesh liner, like a bathing suit. I would wash every night even doing this I got pack rash, jock rot or whatever you want to call it. I descovered that after washing apply a 2% cortozine cream cured the problem overnight. Unfortunately it would reappear when I sweated a lot.

Wülfgang
07-22-2015, 11:42
After hiking this past week in the heat....sweating profusely me and my son got a rash/irritated area in that AREA(taint)!!!! How do you treat this? I had a small stick of skin glide but after the fact was useless. I even tried my dogs mushers secret! Helped a little and was better next day until the following day of hiking. I'm doing jmt this sept in a tight timeframe with higher mileage days 16mpd. I've never had this before as I never hike in hot weather. Thinking I should pack diaper rash ointment? Can't afford to get this in jmt where in under a time/ mileage schedule....

Synthetic undies (boxers not briefs)
Lotrimin AF powder spray twice a day
Bathe and DRY as often as you can

It's called tinea cruris, or "jock itch". Happens to the best of us.

saltysack
07-22-2015, 11:52
I wear under armour syn compression boxers...it's not jock itch...red raw swollen area between sack and arse hole....aka taint

Etoryn
07-22-2015, 12:22
I thought that is what jock itch was? How swollen we talking? Gold bond or Lotrimin Ultra is good for jock itch. Its about trying to keep the area dry normally.

tdoczi
07-22-2015, 12:32
I thought that is what jock itch was? How swollen we talking? Gold bond or Lotrimin Ultra is good for jock itch. Its about trying to keep the area dry normally.

jock itch is a fungal issue, like athlete's foot.

nsherry61
07-22-2015, 15:25
I second baby wipes every evening and after every bowel movement (unless you clean with water after every bowel movement).
I also second cyclists' chamois cream. Compared to body glide the chamois cream lasts longer, has antibiotic and other skin healing properties and is easier to apply unless you use the body glide in tubes instead of in the "applicators". Chamois cream also works great between your toes, thighs and any other chaffing skin parts.

Wülfgang
07-22-2015, 15:44
I wear under armour syn compression boxers...it's not jock itch...red raw swollen area between sack and arse hole....aka taint

Could still be jock itch. Could also be friction irritation, or poor anal hygiene, or both. If friction, Body Glide applied pre-hike will mitigate that. Still recommend the above.

Five Tango
07-22-2015, 16:15
Keep it clean(water or baby wipes).Keep it dry.(cornstarch,baby Goldbond,skin glide,body glide)Ask your doctor for nystatin cream.Use of a probiotic might not be a bad idea either.Ask you doctor......

Walkintom
07-22-2015, 16:43
Cleaning is a big help.

Here's a dirtbag preventative: Go buy a travel size stick of deodorant. Brand doesn't matter so long as it's got some good aluminum compound in it. If the deodorant is white, it probably does. Swipe that all over the areas you might be subject to chafing.

It will do 2 things in your favor. One, it will keep those areas from sweating as much so you won't have nearly as many salt crystals on your skin to cause all that friction. Two, the aluminum compounds tend to have a lubricating effect and this will also reduce friction.

End result will be much less chafing.

However, note that I first mentioned cleaning. Cleaning daily, at a minimum is a huge help.

Wethu123
07-23-2015, 12:32
Would a swim suit... with or without the netting cut out, work for the trail? I figure it will dry quickly and be loose, it's just a matter of what to wear under.

Tundracamper
07-24-2015, 22:11
Under Armour 9" BoxerJock (or equivalent). Problem solved.

Catavarie
07-25-2015, 06:13
I've had the unfortunate experience of being on the trail and ending up with chaffing. A simple lightweight solution after the problem has already occurred is Chap-Stick or any other petroleum based lip balm.

First thoroughly (and painfully) wash and dry the affected area. Then simply apply the lip balm to the affected areas. Also works great for hot spots on feet, hips, anywhere that rubbing occurs. Only costs about $0.99 and is available at near any store. And its about the lightest weight option out there. Bonus can be used to help start a fire in an emergency, and can even be used for chapped lips.

Wyoming
07-26-2015, 00:06
Would a swim suit... with or without the netting cut out, work for the trail? I figure it will dry quickly and be loose, it's just a matter of what to wear under.

This. I do not wear compression or anything tight. I want the area to be able to get fresh air.

I hike in either a boxer style pair of swimming trunks or an almost identical pair of boxer style running shorts (both with long legs as they come to about 5 inches from the knee. Commando only. No underwear.

I always carry bodyglide and gold bond powder. Many places one hikes there is no swimming option but if you have water pour some on a bandana and wipe the salt off. reapply the body glide. If badly chapped I use the gold bond to help cut down infection chances (or a wet wipe) and then bodyglide again in the morning. I put gold bond on the feet at the end of the day before i put on the sleeping socks. And again in the morning before the hiking socks.

buckaroo007
07-26-2015, 08:32
cortisone 10 works for every rash I get.

Bronk
07-26-2015, 10:32
Baby powder. Lots of it.

nsherry61
07-26-2015, 10:51
Can we sum this whole thread up with:
1) Clean really well every day.
2) Lube it up, either wet or dry lubes work for many.

OPI
07-30-2015, 20:31
Preperation H is the best stuff for the taint. Anti itch, kills bacteria and has some pain reliever in it too.

shelb
07-30-2015, 22:43
Suggestion:

Combination of what others have said:

Personally? I, my husband, and sons wear compression shorts under our regular shorts (I have noted that both my sons often wear compression shorts in place of underwear when they will be walking a lot - even if not hiking ....and both of these boys are on the thin side - one being a kid who wears skinny jeans and they are baggy on him! We also use body guide as needed.....

Hiking with others? I would NEVER share my body guide - too many personal areas being touched!
Next weekend, when I take a group of teens backpacking, I have will have baby wipes and Gold Bond available.... anyone who complains of issues will be instructed to cleanse with a wipe and then powder with the Gold Bond....

juma
08-09-2015, 16:15
vagisil, vagisil

Cuacoatchoo
08-11-2015, 13:22
If it makes him feel better I think younger athlete skin might be more vulnerable to friction related issues like this.

Proper athletic clothes and gold bond powder is good treatment. If it gets bad, the ointment at night. They make a lotrimen spray for "jock itch" that's top heavy for backpacking. I don't think it works as well but it's easier/quicker to apply at home or in the locker room.

The cleaning thing is a good idea but not as directly helpful imo. Certain soaps can dry out the skin and or make it more susceptible. Not saying don't clean but I like the direct treatments.

For deoderant, I've had bears approach my tent because of deoderant and baby wipes. So I don't wear scented deoderant on overnights anymore and I hang babywipes with the food.

misterfloyd
08-13-2015, 09:24
Gotta ask,

I had the same problem. I had running shorts with the liner cut out, and starter compression undies. I was soaked the entire day. Made certain I was clean at night and aired myself out in my bag. Last two days I was bloody and raw.

Are there not compression undies that are supposed to wick the moisture away from the skin? What is the difference between the starter and UA undies. Are merino wool better for this?

I did everything that you mentioned after hiking but during hiking is what I'm asking.

Any information would be helpful.

This is the first time the is has happened since I'm at a point where the elevation on the AT does not offset the Temps

Floyd

Any comments

Studlintsean
08-13-2015, 12:13
For me in the humid summer, there is no getting around this. I try to wash off each night, apply gold bond, and air out. Unfortunately, I sweat 24/7 when in these environments so keeping dry is just not gonna happen. My latest issue seemed to have been caused by my loose/wet running shorts rubbing when I walked. I am going to try some 5 inch size large (im an XL) shorts in hopes that the lack of extra material will help.

Maui Rhino
08-14-2015, 00:36
If you tried keeping it clean but still chaffed, perhaps you need to do some manscaping down there to reduce chafing. Too much body hair can act like sandpaper.

nsherry61
08-14-2015, 13:25
. . . perhaps you need to do some manscaping down there . . .
Hmm. Does that mean razor stubble or bikini waxing? Ouch. Waxing probably would actually work pretty well.

Roche
08-14-2015, 13:54
Desitin.

Still have a partial tube from the kids' diaper days. Now repack a bit for the big miles big temperature trips.

lemon b
08-14-2015, 15:33
Was a bigger problem when I was younger. Also more of a problem in Southern lowlands. Since I've passed age 50 and begun hiking commando in water shorts has not been an issue. Always have been a fan of A&D ointment applied between the sack and legs.

August W.
08-14-2015, 21:40
Try Saxx "Kinetic" fitted boxer briefs. They are sewn to form a front pouch that is breathable. They wick well and feel like a soft cradle holding your stick-n-berries. By far the most comfortable I have found.

Gr8brew
08-15-2015, 12:43
Doing a small load of laundry and using the large load amount of detergent can be a cause.

MuddyWaters
08-15-2015, 12:49
Doing a small load of laundry and using the large load amount of detergent can be a cause.

Particularly with todays new High Efficiency washers, they suck, they do not remove all the soap. You simply cannot do it without water. People with sensitive skin have issues with these. Internet is full of complaints.

becomingamountainman
08-16-2015, 23:06
Just spent a week on JMT and did Grand Canyon before with same potential issue. Exofficanto boxers and Desitin (both proactive or reactive) works wonders. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

saltysack
08-17-2015, 11:13
vagisil, vagisil

Ha...no ship?

Canadian_Hiker
09-25-2015, 11:23
- Clean it
- Dry it
- Lube it
- Hit the trail

I am a runner and like wearing compression shorts anyways so that is my top pick. As far as meds I go with two things body glide and Neosporin. If I am just starting to feel a hot spot I will apply body glide if I am already chaffed I will apply Neosporin because it is an antibiotic and will help keep it from getting infected.

Canadian_Hiker

George
09-25-2015, 22:28
I try to carry as few items as possible, so use a zinc oxide base sunscreen that also works on chaffing

shelb
09-30-2015, 00:16
To prevent it: Body Glide
To fix it: Use a anti-bacterial baby wipe and then gold bond

shelb
09-30-2015, 00:16
Forgot to mention: NO SHARING of the body glide!!!!

That could lead to STD's!!

rocketsocks
09-30-2015, 00:31
Forgot to mention: NO SHARING of the body glide!!!!

That could lead to STD's!!...and no where near the fun.

j_jones84
10-25-2015, 23:20
I like going with my Patagonia Baggies shorts with a liner and no underwear. I use bodyglide to prevent chafing.