PDA

View Full Version : NJ/NY/CT weather early October

rustmd
07-21-2015, 11:35
planning a section hike NJ/NY and bit of CT in early October. . .night temps? which sleeping bag to take?

thanks,
.com

Etoryn
07-21-2015, 11:50
I would take a 20* bag if I was going. Day time temps may be anywhere from 55-70 but and night time temps from 40-50 but if they could dip lower. I am also a bit of a colder sleeper tho.

gsingjane
07-21-2015, 11:56
Your day temps can be anywhere from mid-40's to 80's believe it or not, although I'd think more along the lines of 55-65 during the day. Highly doubtful you'd get below freezing at night although I'd bring something a wee bit more substantial than my lightest summer bag. Watch for rain which would of course exacerbate the effects of a temp drop.

It's a beautiful time to experience our state and I hope you enjoy it!

Jane in CT

TREKMAN001
07-21-2015, 14:04
October is a true shoulder season in Jersey. The leaves will be changing, and it is impossible from year to year to predict / anticipate temps. I would gear up for both extremes, though it definetly won't be below freezing. Great time of year for a hike through the DWG!
ENJOY YOUR HIKE!!
Guy.

TREKMAN001
07-21-2015, 14:06
Plus, if you bring too warm of a bag, you can just use it as a blanket. If you bring too light of a bag, you'll be cold. I always err on the side of caution...

Red Cinema
07-21-2015, 20:12
When you're contemplating weather, consider that the AT through most of NJ is along a ridge; temps on the ridgeline are cooler than the towns reporting weather below, usually 5F ish cooler. More important on ridges is wind. Camp up there and a low 40's night with wind turns into a high 20's? 30's? night, while a campsite a half mile away tucked down out of the wind is much warmer. The north end of NJ's AT goes down a bit but I can't report about that part....

Then again, early October could be balmy. :: shrug ::

Another Kevin
07-21-2015, 20:56
I own a 40 degree quilt, a 20 degree bag and a 0 degree bag.

For that part of the country in October, I bring the 20 degree bag. I can just throw it over me like a quilt if it's too warm.

Typical low temperatures up on the ridges are in the 40s at the start of the month, down to freezing by the end of the month.

On the top of the Litchfield Hills in Connecticut, it's pretty common to have at least a dusting of snow at night sometime in late October, although it melts off during the day.

cdk4091
07-22-2015, 09:13
Jane:
Just finished your state and it was lovely.
CPT Kirk

Sarcasm the elf
07-22-2015, 10:50
As others have said, bring the 20* bag, the weather in October can go either way and I have spent a number of nights camping in below freezing weather in CT during that time of year.

It's also a great time to hike that section, the worst of the heat and bugs should be gone and you might catch a bit if the trees changing color.

rustmd
07-22-2015, 15:33
20 degree bag it will be...thanks for the replies everyone!
.com