PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the trail

robbywde
07-21-2015, 12:18
Has anyone here ever carried a fishing pole on the trail? I feel like with all the stream crossings it would be a great way to take a break and just enjoy the surroundings every now and then. I'm sure you we need a license of some sort to do it legally, does anyone know if there is a AT trail fishing license or some other similar federal protected land license or anything? How about a good light weight fly rod? Thanks in advance for any information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 12:53
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=8041013

robbywde
07-21-2015, 13:05
I can't get the link to work, I tried searching fishing but no dice. What did you search for to find that thread?

Slo-go'en
07-21-2015, 13:13
You need a fishing license for every state. You are hiking a mountain ridge line and the streams you cross are tiny. The number of places you can actually fish are quite limited. Maine is the only state where it would be remotely worth carrying a pole.

BirdBrain
07-21-2015, 13:15
I can't get the link to work, I tried searching fishing but no dice. What did you search for to find that thread?

I clicked on advanced search and searched "fishing" in titles only.

Dochartaigh
07-21-2015, 13:20
How about a good light weight fly rod?

I have a sub 3-ounce Tenkara fly rod - about as good as it gets weight-wise for a rod, but my problem is always trees...and I never have a spare set of shoes (and rocks kill my feet) to wade out into the middle of the pond/stream/creek/river to get some clearance from the trees for that fly rod.

johnnybgood
07-21-2015, 17:03
Like Slo-go'en said, you would need to buy a fishing license for every state you were in. Another concern is some of the trail runs through privately owned property where the AT is only given a right of way corridor. Then there's also the issue of finding the really good fishing streams.
In SNP for instance, the best trout fishing streams are miles from the AT ,down off the ridgeline. Your plan sounds like a great idea, just need to get some input on best places to lug it with you where it makes sense on the AT.

bigcranky
07-21-2015, 19:11
There are some places to fish. Not on the ridge lines, of course, but in larger creeks down in the valleys. The trail goes through a lot of national forest where it's legal with a license.

The drawbacks are, as mentioned, the need for a license in each state, which can be a pain, and then on a thru-hike there's the constant internal drive to make miles. Well, at least for me (mostly because I am slow).

Dogwood
07-21-2015, 20:45
You need a fishing license for every state. You are hiking a mountain ridge line and the streams you cross are tiny. The number of places you can actually fish are quite limited. Maine is the only state where it would be remotely worth carrying a pole.

Like Slo-go'en said, you would need to buy a fishing license for every state you were in. Another concern is some of the trail runs through privately owned property where the AT is only given a right of way corridor. Then there's also the issue of finding the really good fishing streams.

In SNP for instance, the best trout fishing streams are miles from the AT ,down off the ridgeline. Your plan sounds like a great idea, just need to get some input on best places to lug it with you where it makes sense on the AT.

...The trail goes through a lot of national forest where it's legal with a license.

The drawbacks are, as mentioned, the need for a license in each state, which can be a pain, and then on a thru-hike there's the constant internal drive to make miles.

You don't necessarily need a license for every state. Some AT states make little to no sense buying a license if planning on fishing on or very near the AT. And, some states, where you'd most likely fish, have reciprocal agreements. It takes some logistical considerations, looking ahead at fishing opps and how you feel about balancing some fishing with what amounts to largely a hike, but one could bounce a small SUL rod/reel set up, like a Tenkara or, if not overly finicky, a small Pen Rod and tiny spincast reel.

After having thru-hiked the AT always being mindful on that hike of fishing opps on and very near the AT(less than 2 miles away), while still mainly focusing on completing an AT thru, but still being an avid fisherman, at the most I would not buy more than 5-6 licenses. I would buy licenses along the way as attitudes about what one is actively pursuing can and often do change. And, above all I would carefully research and have some general plan for fishing BEFORE EVER STEPPING ONTO THE AT WITH FISHING GEAR.

dmax
07-22-2015, 00:01
I think NC would be a good state to have a license. A few places that pop into my head to fish would be a day at NOC, the Frenchbroad, the pond outside of hot springs, and fontana lake. If passing every white blaze isn't important to you, the lake shore trail through the smokies has some trophy trout streams. There is a trail or two that will take you back up to the AT too. .... If you want to pass all the blazes it might be worth your time to catch a boat shuttle to Hazel creek and hike the AT back to fontana Dam on the Lake Shore Trail. Then you wouldn't end up missing any blazes and would only add a few more days to your hike.

Grampie
07-22-2015, 09:40
Being a avid fisherman I took a few hooks and some mono line on my thru hike. Most of the time, at the end of the day, I was too tiard to fish. I did try one day in Virginia. In Maine I camped on the shore of West Carry Pond. I fished and caught 2 native brook trout about 8" long. Cooked them up for dinner. Was a great memory that will last forever.
Don't worry about the license. Bring some hooks and line and fish when the oppertunity rises.

robbywde
07-22-2015, 10:00
Wow thanks for all the input guys! I think I may just takes some hooks and a little line. If the opportunity presents itself, great! If not then I haven't really added any weight to my pack, so no real harm.