PDA

View Full Version : Updating Trail Journals and Blogs

Klynn
07-21-2015, 13:30
How do people update their online trail journals or blogs while on a thru-hike?

I know it's possible with a Smart Phone, but seems like it would take a long time to make a whole post typing with one finger? Do you take a tablet? Find a library that has computers? Seems like I've read that some Hostels have computers or maybe just Wi-Fi to use your own device? From reading trail journals, it seems like many people make updates every day or two.

I would like to keep my family and friends updated by blog or online trail journal on my thru-hike, but not sure what is the best way to do it.

What has worked for you, and what hasn't? Any tips or tricks?

Malto
07-21-2015, 13:49
I did it on an iPhone. Would likely use the voice dictation on a future thru.

Another Kevin
07-21-2015, 17:40
I do only short sections, so postpone blogging until I get home. I haven't worked out a good way to upload pictures from my camera in the field, anyway. I'm wordy enough, and clumsy enough with a touchscreen, that if I were writing in the field, I'd probably have to resort to a foldable keyboard. The smallest among them are about four ounces and claim a 40-hour or so battery life (actually typing, more like 30 days in standby mode).

BrianLe
07-22-2015, 10:29
Yup, I've carried a folding keyboard on my long distance trips. With newer smartphones, bigger screens it starts to be a conundrum for me; my most recent longish trip (600 miles or so) I left the folding keyboard home and overall was glad that I did. My Galaxy S5 has a bigger screen than my previous phones, and the software just generally works better. One can learn to use a smarter software keyboard software to help the process, such as SwiftKey. I nevertheless find myself typing up a little less, but it can be made to work well enough now for me that perhaps I'll retire the folding keyboard (?). Tough trade-off now, actually!

If there's really one out there that weighs just 4 oz (with battery(s)?), and if this unit actually works reliably and well, that would be my choice. With 2 AAA batteries my Freedom Pro keyboard weighs 9.5 oz (that's wrapped in some bubblewrap inside a quart ziplock bag).

Starchild
07-22-2015, 14:40
Typed on a iPhone 4 screen as I hiked. It did slow me down a bit however.

Walkintom
07-22-2015, 16:51
Lots of time on my hands lying in the tent in the evenings. Typing on my smartphone took up very little of it, en todo.

Klynn
08-08-2015, 12:57
Thank you all for weighing in!