PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on small fry pan

Doc
07-21-2015, 19:32
I typically use a Pocket Rocket to heat/cook in a .85L titanium pot. For some of my two day trips I want to fry some veg's in the evening and eggs in the morning. Any thoughts about what fry pan might work?

kayak karl
07-21-2015, 19:36
one egg wonder

imscotty
07-21-2015, 20:03
I am shopping for a fry pan at this moment myself. I am just about to pull the trigger on an Evernew Ti

http://www.amazon.com/Evernew-Titanium-Frypan-7-28-ECA442/dp/B000AQYYCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437523236&sr=8-1&keywords=evernew+pan

Ya, super expensive. But I do not want to use Teflon, and I do want light. I am open to other suggestions, however. The one egg wonder is a bit too small for me.

Starchild
07-21-2015, 20:09
My suggestion would be to try to simulate frying in your cook pot. Sure you can bring a fry pan but it's a compromise either way.

For the eggs I have started with hard boiled, lined my pot with ham (making a boat), placed in it a sliced hard boiled egg, cheese and on top a 1/2 a bagel facing down, the other half on top of that. Heat with lid on till the cheese is melty (peeking allowed). Take off the top 1/2 of bagel, then put the lid back on. Flip the sandwich onto the lid, remove pot and put the other 1/2 on top. The best breakfast sandwich you will ever have.

I assume a similar method can be used with vegi's.

Rocket Jones
07-21-2015, 20:23
I found a small one at the dollar store. Took the handle off to make it more packable.

Mountain Wildman
07-21-2015, 20:37
A couple cheap options:

Paderno Lightweight Carbon Steel Skillet 6 5/8" http://www.bensbackwoods.com/paderno-lightweight-carbon-steel-skillet-6-5-8/

Paderno Lightweight Carbon Steel Skillet 9" http://www.bensbackwoods.com/paderno-lightweight-carbon-steel-skillet-9/

SWODaddy
07-21-2015, 22:07
I wouldn't recommend any of the titanium cookware with a pocket rocket. I bought a non stick evernew pot / pan combo and while it doesn't stick...food burns almost instantly...even on the lowest heat setting.

Look at the Primus pans. They're aluminum with folding handles and great non stick. I'm somewhat of a foodie and have made some great food on the trail with it.

Slo-go'en
07-22-2015, 00:56
Hard to beat the little one egger fry pans.

Hikes in Rain
07-22-2015, 05:46
Another cheap but effective option is to find an old Scout mess kit on eBay and just take the pan. (Pot isn't bad, either, but was a little small for me.) Emphasize old, the aluminum was thicker back in the day and helped keep hot spots and scorching down. Still have to be careful. The handle folds, or you can just take it off.

squeezebox
07-22-2015, 19:17
I bought a one egg wonder, took off the handle, cut the height down in half or a bit less, but on a brass bolt for a handle. Cut the wt from 4 oz to 2.
Tried it a couple of times then threw it away.

Tuckahoe
07-22-2015, 19:37
I bought a one egg wonder, took off the handle, cut the height down in half or a bit less, but on a brass bolt for a handle. Cut the wt from 4 oz to 2.
Tried it a couple of times then threw it away.

Of course you threw it away... you wrecked it.

Maui Rhino
07-22-2015, 20:22
Both my Snow Peak Ti 1400 and 900 have little skillet lids. They work okay, but have steep sides, unlike the 1egg pans.

Odd Man Out
07-22-2015, 20:39
A few years ago I got a small fry pan with one of those ceramic non-stick coatings for Christmas a few years ago. The non-stick surface is amazing. It is like stone. Very hard, still in perfect shape. Nothing sticks to it. Unfortunately it has no brand name on the pan so I can't say where it came from. The handle is a wire loop so it's not too heavy.

pikapp513
07-23-2015, 10:13
I have a trangia skillet. Works great. Non stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc
07-23-2015, 11:14
Thanks for all of the ideas. I had no idea that there were so many choices.