PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardware backpacks

Jake2c
07-21-2015, 23:39
Mountain Hardware has a new pack out. An Ozonic 65 Outdry. Not much on line about it. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this pack? Or, any experience with Mountain Hardware packs at all. Can't find this in any local shop. They have had a 50 out for a bit I think. Any info in general would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ekeverette
07-22-2015, 08:44
I tried on the waterproof 65 liter pack, and it was very comfortable, almost as comfortable as my osprey 70 liter..... the nice thing about this pack is you don't have to worry about pulling out and fitting the pack cover every time you think the rains a coming....... It feels comfortable. I think it would be a good purchase.

Namtrag
07-22-2015, 10:56
The 50 liter one is almost 4 lbs, eek!

nsherry61
07-22-2015, 15:10
I'm not a fan of waterproof packs, or pack covers for that matter.
I grew up and cut my teeth in the Pacific NW hiking, year round, in lots of rain and damp.
There is only about 30% of my gear volume that I need to keep dry (cloths and sleeping bag). The other 70%, tent/tarp, raingear, cooking gear, packaged food, etc., is either going to be wet because of the rain or doesn't really matter if it gets wet.
I don't like hanging half my gear (everything that will be wet) on the outside of my pack with my pack half full. So, I will always have wet gear that I want to put inside my pack.
So, having a waterproof pack can't keep water away from the gear I want to keep dry. So, I pack my dry gear in a trash compactor bag or a dry sack and don't worry about my other gear getting wet.

Then, I don't have to spend the extra money, extra weight and extra closure complexity to have a waterproof pack that (incidentally also won't dry out while hiking) offers no real advantage to me no matter how nice the idea sounds until it's actually put to use.

Jake2c
07-23-2015, 19:28
I tried on the waterproof 65 liter pack, and it was very comfortable, almost as comfortable as my osprey 70 liter..... the nice thing about this pack is you don't have to worry about pulling out and fitting the pack cover every time you think the rains a coming....... It feels comfortable. I think it would be a good purchase.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Jake2c
07-23-2015, 19:39
I was hoping someone may be on here that had actually used one. I have been using the cover/trash bag arrangement for a while. Will probably continue to use the trash bag even with a water proof bag. Part of the reason for a water proof bag is so I don't have to carry around water that I can't drink. I have used water proof bags on boats for years and there is a learning curve with them. The 65L is less than 4lbs which isn't light as pointed out, but not heavy either. Soak up a little water, even if it's from sweat, and the weight goes up quickly no matter what you start with. I don't like pack covers so I have not been using them. This is a breathable material, I will have to find out how fast moisture inside either collects or evaporates out. Thanks for everyone's input.