PDA

View Full Version : Osprey pack returns

twilight
07-22-2015, 09:03
I have to return my Osprey pack for repair. I packaged it in a oversized box and took it to the FPO yesterday. It was nearly 150.00 dollars to return it to CO from NJ with tracking. I found that to be a ridiculous cost and checked with UPS. They were about half that. I am looking for suggestions to avoid such an exorbitant costs in shipping. Today I am looking for a slightly more appropriate box at work. But I'm still expecting a lot of money for the postage. Has anyone ever used one of those vacuum seal bags for mailing something in? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Twilight

Old Hiker
07-22-2015, 09:12
Typo? $150? One hundred fifty?

My opinion is that $15 for guaranteed delivery, insured, tracked shipping isn't too bad for warranty work.

I kept the original box, just in case.

HooKooDooKu
07-22-2015, 09:50
Is it possible to take the pack back to the retail establishment from which you purchased it?

When I had what I felt was a warranty repair issue on some hiking boots a few years ago, the boot company told me I needed to work thru the company from which I bought the boots from. Took them back to the local retail establishment I bought them from, and they handled shipping the boots back to the manufacturer.

TNhiker
07-22-2015, 10:51
you musta tried using overnight or 2/3 day service or something like that...

i had a pack shipped to me earlier this year----from CA to TN----and it was about 15 bucks................

it was not third class (parcel post) mail----but one step above that as i was not in any hurry to get pack......

Sarcasm the elf
07-22-2015, 10:57
Is it possible to take the pack back to the retail establishment from which you purchased it?

When I had what I felt was a warranty repair issue on some hiking boots a few years ago, the boot company told me I needed to work thru the company from which I bought the boots from. Took them back to the local retail establishment I bought them from, and they handled shipping the boots back to the manufacturer.

If you are returning it for warranty work then this is my thought as well. My understanding is that Osprey is quite good about this sort of thing. Also if you just need a part and can do the fix yourself, give them a call and ask. they have mailed my buddy replacement buckles in the past for free, even after he admitted it was his fault that they broke.

twilight
07-22-2015, 11:18
No that was not a typo. I told the clerk the cheapest way to get it to CO with tracking. Even he yelled ouch when he saw the price. Last night I realized I might try REI which is where I believe I bought the pack at. So, I might go that route. I found possibly a more appropriate box already today at work. So I'll repackage it tonight when I get home and then off to the PO. If turns out to be some monsterous price again I'll head to REI from there.

Hikingmaddie
07-22-2015, 11:27
When i bought my pack online from someone it came in a thick brown paper bag (like grass bags for mowing) with bubble wrap on the inside and duct tape haphazardly wrapper around it. Worked great! and was about 20$ total shipping. so maybe go bag route instead of box?

Offshore
07-22-2015, 13:56
I've had new packs delivered in plastic shipping bags. I'd see if you can handle it through REI but if you had to return it, then don't worry about elaborate packaging. UPS and Fedex have recently gone to dimensional rates, so keep the packaging size as small as you can get it. Compress it as much as you can - its a pack, not fine crystal. UPS or Fedex Ground will still provide a tracking number, so be sure that you go with that - its the cheapest. I've found Fedex Ground to be cheaper than UPS, sometimes significantly so.

nsherry61
07-22-2015, 14:18
Just returning the pack to REI will be the easiest if one is located near you. USPS is often the least expensive way to ship something the size of a backpack.

Walkintom
07-22-2015, 14:47
Someone screwed up. Either you forgot to take all the stuff our of the pack; it's in a box big enough for a Toyota, the scale was awesomely broken - or the clerk didn't choose cheapest shipping. I'd bet on the clerk screwed up.

Around $15 is about right.

That's about what i pay to ship a pack CONUS. Varies a little regionally per carrier, and home delivery sometimes jacks it up another buck or two, but that's it.

Alligator
07-22-2015, 15:32
I've had new packs delivered in plastic shipping bags. I'd see if you can handle it through REI but if you had to return it, then don't worry about elaborate packaging. UPS and Fedex have recently gone to dimensional rates, so keep the packaging size as small as you can get it. Compress it as much as you can - its a pack, not fine crystal. UPS or Fedex Ground will still provide a tracking number, so be sure that you go with that - its the cheapest. I've found Fedex Ground to be cheaper than UPS, sometimes significantly so.
The box dimensions as mentioned in this post can greatly affect rates. Once the clerk starts measuring with the tape the price really jumps. It doesn't have to weigh much to cost you.

soilman
07-22-2015, 23:04
I had issues with my Osprey Exos during my AT thru hike. I contacted Osprey and said to send it in for repairs or take it to Trail Days. I told them I was thru hiking so I couldn't send it in and that I was not going to Trail Days. I tried outfitters in Damascus and Waynesboro and they would not help. The outfitter in Harpers Ferry tried to help. He tried to contact Osprey to get authorization. I waited around for 3 hours for Osprey to return his call but I got tired of waiting. Finally when in Hanover I contacted EMS and they said bring it in. I did and they swapped it out without hesitation. So my suggestion would be to contact REI. As far as shipping, I have found FedEx to be competitive for larger and heavier packages. I recently sent a package that weighed 57 pounds from OH to LA in a box that I could fit my Osprey pack and it cost $46 for two day shipping.

twilight
07-23-2015, 12:05
Thanks everyone for there input. Pack went off to CO today. FedEx ground was the way I went for 46.00 dollars. Re packed in a more appropriate box.