PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good overall price & weight?

BP219
07-22-2015, 19:44
So I'm pretty new to backpacking (have hiking and camping experience in many different areas tho), and I just want to know if this is a good deal for the items I've looked up:
65 Liter Bag
1 person tent + 'tarp'
Sleeping bag +20 degrees + pad
Water Filterx2
Stove

All this for a total of $323 and a total weight of 14 pounds.

The other things I'm looking into:
New Pair of trail shoes
Wool Socksx4
Puff Jacket
Poncho
Moisture Wicking Underwearx3
Moisture Wicking Pantsx3 (already have one pair)
Moisture Wicking Shirtsx3 (already have all three)
Cold Gear Skin Tight Shirt (already have)
Pajamas (already have)
---I'm guessing for everything up to this line will be another $290-300---
First Aid Kit
Head Lamp (+ extra batteries)
Phone + Battery Phone Charger
Map
Compass
Knife
Lighter
Cotton balls
Rope
Patch Kit
Whistle
Metal Cup
2x Water Bottles
Insect Repellent
Sandals
Bandana
--Thinking this will be another total of $100 or so--

So I'm expecting all my gear to be around:
$750

What else would you say is needed? The AT won't be my first backpacking journey, I'm thinking about either Isle Royale or the PCT Section G to be my first. Or maybe even Arches, not too sure yet haha.

Tuckahoe
07-22-2015, 20:04
You didnt provide specifics, but I would be wary of a pack, tent and sleeping bag that were coming in at a price of $300 +/-. At that price you are most likely getting big box store, Target or Walmart type gear, which Iis not always the deal it seems to be.

Slosteppin
07-26-2015, 20:51
I guess that depends on what you call "good". Comparing the first part of your list with what I used on my last hike; my bag, tent, pad, stove and filter cost close to $900 and weighs 6 lb 3 oz.

Of course my numbers were different when I started backpacking 35 years ago.

Venchka
07-26-2015, 21:20
Hmmmm.....
1 person bombshelter tent: 4 pounds. 1994
Stove: I have 4. Primus MFS, the most recent one that I weighed: 13 ounces. 1999.
Pad: NeoAir Xtherm Large: 1 pound 4 ounces. 2014.
Sleeping bag: 20 degree Alpinlite long. 2 pounds 1 ounce. 2015.
Water filter. PuR Scout or Hiker. About a pound. 1993.
59 liter Jensen backpack size medium: 2 pounds 8 ounces. 1974.
11 pounds 10 ounces.
I need to find a lighter summer tent & filter. Maybe a lighter stove too.
Cost? I don't want to know. The pack and filter were about $50 each. Stove was $100. Tent & bag: Priceless.

Why tent + tarp? 1 or the other. Which reminds me...I have a 1 pound 10 ounce tarp that I should use instead of buying a new tent. I could drop 2 pounds 6 ounces and save some serious coin. Thanks for reminding me.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Venchka
07-26-2015, 21:28
PS: I doubt seriously that you need 3 of any item of clothing. Colin Fletcher summed it up perfectly: Don't carry more clothes than you can wear in your sleeping bag on the coldest night you anticipate.
Going light is more about what you don't carry than what you do carry. That also saves you money.

Wayne

Venchka
07-26-2015, 21:33
PAJAMAS????????
Buy pre-filled water bottles. Drink the water. Save the bottle. Refill the bottle. X 2. Think how green you will be.

Wayne

Malto
07-26-2015, 21:46
For the most part you can two out of three:
1) cheap
2) light
3) durable/quality

There are some exceptions such as the free don't take unnecessary gear or make your own gear but that rule generally applies. You just need to determine your priorities for the three.

in my case, I am pretty far into my career so money isn't much of an issue and I know I will use gear for years. So I have no problem spending a bit more for high quality gear such as a down quilt. Weight is also very important so much of my gear is made from cuben fiber, titanium and carbon fiber. I also make much of my own gear.

I suspect given you age that money is likely a bigger issue. You also don't have the experience to know if you will be hiking a year from now let alone five or ten years. If this is true then it would be more prudent to buy gear based on price then replace it out with lighter gear when you have more experience. You will find that many very experienced hikers have gone through multiple generations to get to their honed in lighter weight gear.

The one area that I would spend money first is a good down bag or quilt. You may be able to find one used. next would be the shelter. I would never buy new in your case. I would subscribe to Backpackinglight and buy a used shelter there. The good news is that you can resell quality gear likely close to what you paid for it.

Now the biggest piece. get out and hike. you will gain the experience needed to make informed decisions and minimize the unneeded gear that virtually everyone buys.

Singto
07-27-2015, 02:31
Big 3...Pack, shelter and sleeping system should not exceed 9 pounds as a general rule of thumb. My big 3: Jansport Katahdin 50L pack (34 Oz), Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo shelter w/stakes (29 oz), Kelty Tuck 20 (EN 22) Bag (48 oz), Klymit V2 sleeping mattress (17 oz). 8 pounds.

Venchka
07-27-2015, 10:48
For a clueless wannabe, I haven't done too bad with my ragtag hodge podge of relics, antiques and new gizmos. :D
Jensen pack (http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/heritage-backpacks-made-in-usa/jensen-packs/)
Garuda Atman tent (http://byronshutzjr.org/GM_Pics/GM_Cat4Co97_Atman_Kusala.jpg)
WM Alpinlite bag (http://www.backpacker.com/gear/sleeping-bags/3-season/editors-choice-2014-western-mountaineering-alpinlite/)
NeoAir Xtherm (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-Xtherm)/Exped air pillow (http://www.exped.com/usa/en/air-pillow-l)

10 pounds for a full on near-winter kit. 7 pounds 10 ounces if I use my MSR tarp in bug free conditions like late August through early October in the Rockies. :cool:
More importantly, I need to put theory into practice.

Putting aside thread drift and returning to the original topic...
BP219: Your gear list is too long. Your clothing list could outfit 3 people. Be ruthless. Slash your list to the bare essentials. Be safe, not stupid light. Don't carry more clothes than you can wear at one time, with the possible exception of 1) clean dry lightweight sleeping attire (running shorts and long underwear top for example) and 2) 1 pair of clean dry socks.
MAGS (Whiteblaze Moderator) has often touted the Champion brand of athletic wear carried by Target and others as a budget friendly source of synthetic base layer garments. We are moving into the retail industries' fall/winter/hunting season. Stores should be full of hiker friendly clothes.
You listed several very interesting, very different destinations, but didn't say what time of year you may visit these places. Where is the PCT Section G? Arches is a very unique location and hiking conditions can vary widely depending on the time of year you plan to visit. The same is true for Isle Royal which can vary from balmy, mild summers to North Pole like winters. One kit won't work everywhere all the time.
Your initial list includes a 20 degree sleeping bag and "puff jacket" (a ridiculous made up term in my old mind). Either of those could be overkill for all of the places on your list in the summer. Unless you're the type of person who grabs a winter coat when the temperature drops into the 60s. We need to know that kind of information about you as well. Too many variables for a one kit fits all kind of answer.
When you are putting things in your pack, multi-purpose, multi-tasking gear should be given first priority.
I know they cost more than most, but Darn Tough Hike/Trek wool socks from Vermont are the longest lasting, best made, most comfortable socks on the planet. In the long run they are the least expensive socks you can own.
http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek
http://darntough.com/women/womens-hike-trek
You only need 2 pair. Splurge. Accept no substitutes.
Champion at Target (http://www.target.com/c/c9-by-champion-brand-shop/-/N-5tdw7)
No cotton clothes. A cotton bandana is ok.

Good luck.

Wayne