PDA

View Full Version : Pur Hiker Filter and Exped Pillows

Different Socks
07-23-2015, 19:41
For first time in 19 years I had to replace my PUR Filter. Gettin tough to pump the water, though the annoying part was having to prime it half the time. Got a new updated version off ebay and tested it today, first real in the wilds test will hopefully be next week.
As for the Exped Pillows: any body else have a problem with them? I bought 2 of them last summer, one for me, one for my GF. Both of them now leak air from the intake valve. Sucks that I gotta inflate it several times during the night. Is there a lifetime guarantee on these products?

Venchka
07-23-2015, 21:15
For first time in 19 years I had to replace my PUR Filter. Gettin tough to pump the water, though the annoying part was having to prime it half the time. Got a new updated version off ebay and tested it today, first real in the wilds test will hopefully be next week.
As for the Exped Pillows: any body else have a problem with them? I bought 2 of them last summer, one for me, one for my GF. Both of them now leak air from the intake valve. Sucks that I gotta inflate it several times during the night. Is there a lifetime guarantee on these products?
I like my PUR filter. Too bad we can't get the original filters with the germ killing resin.
The Exped web site explains the warranty for all of their products. Air pillows have either a 5 year guarantee (the red one) or 2 years (yellow model.

Wayne

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

nsherry61
07-23-2015, 22:10
Too bad we can't get the original filters with the germ killing resin.

The germ killing resin is probably just an iodine resin the leaches enough iodine into the water to kill viruses. If you want to kill things that are so small they escape through the filter (viruses) a drop of household bleach works very well. That is what MSR uses in their sweetwater system, except they sell you the bleach for $10 for 4 oz or something there about.

Venchka
07-24-2015, 09:57
That's the stuff. Iodine resin. It makes a filter an actual water purification system-up to a point I guess. I don't know why all filters don't use the same principle? Dumb.

Wayne

Venchka
07-24-2015, 10:21
That's the stuff. Iodine resin. It makes a filter an actual water purification system-up to a point I guess. I don't know why all filters don't use the same principle? Dumb.

Wayne

Just Bill
07-24-2015, 10:34
The iodine resin thing is no good. There was a brief bit that PUR (katadyn now) and several others tried this trick. In theory sounds good...

In reality, any chemical treatment (bleach, iodine, polar pur, or aquamira) requires residence time to work. Typically 30 mins. At a liter or so a minute the water isn't in the filter long enough for the resin to do anything. Even if it did leech off in enough quantity to treat your water, you'd have to let it sit in your bottle before drinking it for half an hour.

Otherwise, PUR hiker is still about the best filter you can get.
If you need the works- UV or chemical will finish off from filter to purifier.

No warantee on the PUR filters, but if you're stuck in the field you can clean them a bit in cleaner water by massaging the filter pleats a bit. IIRC you can remove the plastic webbing to make that job easier. But when you get home figure the filter is done.

Venchka
07-24-2015, 10:49
Thanks Bill. I still like my PuR Hiker. however, I've only used it in places where I probably didn't need it. Like to remove the glacial till from streams in the Canadian Rockies.
Big Bend N.P. is on my horizon. I reckon that a filter will come in handy there for filtering water from the tanks. Although this year I wouldn't need it. Photo from July 7 in the vicinity of Boot Spring up in Basin. Big Bend may be the best kept secret in the National Park system.

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/members-only-photos-and-reports/boot-spring-july-7-2015/?action=dlattach;attach=17032;image

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13947.0;attach=170 38;image

One of these days I may even buy a new replacement filter.

Wayne

Just Bill
07-24-2015, 10:59
When I'm not solo, or canoeing- still my favorite too. No clean mountain spring in the midwest to drink from by me :eek:
Weight is nothing divied up a few ways and it's a very bomber design.
The only indestructible filter is the Katadyn ceramic- but that thing sucks to use.

Venchka
07-24-2015, 17:58
Not sure which model I have. Hiker or Scout. I'll have to look.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.