PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong Wilderness (NC)

TNhiker
07-23-2015, 21:30
howdy...

has anyone backpacked in the middle prong wilderness in north carolina and can let me know how it is

thanks...

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2015, 07:45
Most basic info: http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah-national-forest/pisgah-ranger-district/middle-prong-wilderness/

The MST and Art Loeb barely venture through it. Check http://www.pjwetzel.com/2015/07/mst-hiking-nantahala-national-forest-to.html
Little to no blazes
Heavily wooded

TNhiker
07-24-2015, 10:37
Thanks..

how easily are the trails to follow?

thinking of doing the loop of trails I cant remember the names of now...

misterfloyd
07-24-2015, 16:02
I was just up at PNF. I asked about the bear canister situation, and was told by many rangers that it will probably stay in place.

I know it is not what the OP asked but thought I would pass the info. Supposedly there is a place in Brevard that rents them out.

I'm itching to get up there also :)

TNhiker
07-24-2015, 16:21
I was just up at PNF. I asked about the bear canister situation, and was told by many rangers that it will probably stay in place.

but thats just for the shining rock area right?

Mr. Bumpy
07-24-2015, 19:38
Those are wonderful trails, but this time of year unless there has been recent maintenance there would be heavy sections of nettle and other seasonal growth.

misterfloyd
07-26-2015, 09:10
TN hiker,

No that is for the whole wilderness section Shinning and Middle prong. I have begun to look for places to rent a cannister. Love the area, and need to spend a lot more time there you may want to look at http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=48114

BTW they are handing out $12

zeldaminor
07-26-2015, 18:48
I was just there yesterday. I did part of the MTS, Art Loeb, Graveyard Ridge, and Ivestor Gap.

Art Loeb is a beautiful trail that rambles over some balds. There are a lot of wild blueberries that are beginning to get ripe this time of year. You can make up several different loop combinations and add on some out-and-back spurs if you like. However, bring a map, as the trails are NOT well-marked at all. Also be aware that there are many minor trails that split off from the main ones that aren't on a lot of maps. At some of the major junctions there are signs, but I wouldn't recommend relying on those, especially if you've never been there before.

There is a LOT of seasonal growth on the MTS trail here. Conditions on Art Loeb and Graveyard Ridge were fine, although there are several areas with slippery roots after rainfall. Ivestor Gap is the most boring trail, but it makes for a quick escape route if you need to get back to the Black Balsam parking area quickly. Don't ignore the warnings about bear activity--I saw tons of bear scat there yesterday, especially on MTS. I haven't checked the website, but the signs posted in the area that I saw said that only the Graveyard Fields area was closed to camping.

I would recommend parking at Black Balsam and not Graveyard Fields and starting by doing the Art Loeb and wending your way up to Shining Rock.

TNhiker
07-26-2015, 20:34
TN hiker,

No that is for the whole wilderness section Shinning and Middle prong. I have begun to look for places to rent a cannister. Love the area, and need to spend a lot more time there you may want to look at http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=48114

BTW they are handing out $12

is that $12 tickets? and yeah............heard that rangers have been down there on weekends warning people and handing out tickets....

and yeah......i read that link----but their wording is a little confusing..........

it should be reworded to state middle prong wilderness as it states shining rock wilderness and other areas....

and i have bought a bear canister (bv500) but its a big and thinking about getting a smaller one...........as, for right now, im backpacking on weekends and a few days---not weeks at a time....

i was headed down there this weekend but turned around as i need to save gas money (was all packed up and ready to go).....

TNhiker
07-26-2015, 20:35
I would recommend parking at Black Balsam and not Graveyard Fields and starting by doing the Art Loeb and wending your way up to Shining Rock.

yeah................this trip that i was going to do this weekend was going to be in the middle prong side.....

making a loop of hayward and that other trail i cant think of right now, coming off the parkway...

a few years ago----i did a trip out to the shining rock area----maybe staying in the investor gap area?

and yeah...........loved coming across the balds like tennant mountain.....

misterfloyd
07-26-2015, 22:30
sorry for the typo it was 120 have a great trip

The Cleaner
07-27-2015, 15:28
I was there a month or so ago and met 2 hikers who got $125 citations for not having a bear canister.When I was there a few weeks earlier I met the Wilderness Ranger and was told that citations for not having a bear canister could be up to $500.Here's a little info-Park at the BSA Camp Daniel Boone and do a loop from there. I parked at the Black Balsam Road area and returned to find about 100 cars and people everywhere.When I went up the Art Loeb trail to Cold Mtn.from the BSA Camp I didn't see another human being for almost 36 hours.:eek:

TNhiker
07-27-2015, 17:04
Here's a little info-Park at the BSA Camp Daniel Boone and do a loop from there.

yeah......

thats going to be a different trip than the one i have planned in the middle prong area.....

Mr. Bumpy
07-28-2015, 15:46
The Little East Fork trail from Daniel Boone to Shining Rock is a wonderful, wonderful trail.

TNhiker
07-30-2015, 16:04
sooooooooo..........

i just called the pisgah ranger district to ask about bear canister requirements...

the ranger i spoke with says they are not required in the middle prong wilderness.......

i repeatedly asked him this to make sure that i would not get a ticket if i backpacked in middle prong without a canister and he kept saying---no, i would not get a ticket...

but, they are required in the shining rock wilderness....

misterfloyd
07-30-2015, 17:41
Great to get two different answers from the same agency.

Have a great trip and let us know how it went!

TNhiker
07-30-2015, 21:39
yeah..

thats why i kept repeating the question----just to make sure they understood what i was asking and i understood what they were saying...

the ranger i spoke with pulled out a map while i was on the phone and said "no---middle prong is not in the area that we have highlighted"...................

he mainly mentioned the shining rock area ABOVE the parkway................he didnt mention (and i didnt ask) if road 215 was the dividing line.......

but, thats what i gathered from him saying i would not be fined for hiking without a canister in the middle prong wilderness......

2NewKnees
07-30-2015, 22:15
I did a day hike up the Art Loeb trail to Black Balsam on Sunday. Ran into a mom and daughter who were finishing a 3 day weekend trip in the area. They said they did see bear scat, but no bears. Was a beautiful hike on Sunday, but lots of people. The canisters are required according to the sign at the parking lot, and still no camping in Graveyard. Hope it gets opened back up for the fall.

misterfloyd
07-31-2015, 10:37
Do you know what trails you will be on in Middle prong?

I have never been in that area and was curious.

I have a book about all the trails in both areas, and would like to compare your thoughts to what is in the book.

I understand what they are doing, although I really hate cannisters. and believe that it needs to be done in Graveyard fields. IMHO, I would not be surprised if it is shut down for a while due to reasons already stated.

I scraped multiple plans about doing the whole art loeb since this has come about. I do not particularly like accessing the area off of 816, too many people. With the my schedule coming up, the best I can do is weekends, so I may have to do sections. Day hiking is not for me.

I understand your frustration. I got the same run around last year regarding GSMNP.

Please let me know how the trip went and hope you go. I know you stated that you already purchased a can but the place in Brevard that rents them out is called Pura Vida, persons name is Joe, and number is 772-579-0005.

Have a great trip and let me know about details of the trip. Bet you see a LOT less people!!

Best,
Floyd