PDA

View Full Version : The next step

bootsontheground
07-24-2015, 07:00
Yesterday I was finally able to make it to the ATC in Boiling Springs to continue my research for my section hikes. I must say besides the fire department I've never really been any where, that people are so open to helping and offering information and seem excited to have a new person joining the world of hiking. The staff was amazing and met a thru hiker heading north on his 2nd trip who was very helpful also.

So I grabbed a membership and also my Maryland info book and maps to start learning the trail. (They did say to be careful of all the ankle breakers on the trail)

It gave me excitement to meet people in person who are enthusiastic to help someone start their journey so after that I went shopping.

I got a starter pack nothing fancy yet just something for a few small day and over night hikes, my trekking pole, flashlights, camelpak and a pack cover. Would of bought more but bills got in the way lol.

Now to start day hiking in the York area, join a hiking club and get some more gear. Especially my hammock and hiking shoes.

Still trying to not overwhelm myself but so far I think it's going well.

rocketsocks
07-24-2015, 07:21
Ah yes, I remember it well. Good for you dude, hike on.

Cobble
07-24-2015, 23:56
Cool to hear Boots. We are excited for you too! If you need any help just find the right tab to ask and we'd love to help you any way we can.:)