PDA

View Full Version : SOBO to start in mid August, few Qs

kevinNC
07-24-2015, 10:40
First, thanks for checking this post. I'm excited to start my trip!

I'm starting in Maine mid August, hoping to finish December/January.

1st) Should I start with my 15F down bag, or safe to start with my lighter 40F bag? I have a friend who can maildrop gear as conditions change.

2nd) Is it fairly obvious where the towns/resupply joints are along the trail? I'll have the 2015 SOBO Companion, but I'm not bringing the maps.

3rd) Any caveats to starting this late such as resupply, trail conditions, hangry wildlife (terrified of bears), or few people to talk to?

Thanks,

- K

Just Bill
07-24-2015, 10:55
:welcome

1) I'd bring a 40, but if you're asking... you might want to play it safe. I don't think you'll see much below freezing until sept.

2-No, you need to be able to read a map and the guidebook. It's obvious that the trail will cross a road, but you need to know what road you are standing at and which direction to town. There are no signs pointing the way.

3-It's been a wet year, so you shouldn't have too many water issues (some springs dry up later in the season)
As you get further south some services may begin to close. Trail angels, hiker feeds, etc. will be gone.
Although many of us would call that a good thing!

You will have folks around for a bit, including flip floppers and later season NOBOs. OCT- JAN though, you'll mostly be solo.

You will probably be the hangriest wildlife you encounter.:)

Slo-go'en
07-24-2015, 13:02
Temps have been all over the place this summer. Some days it's blistering hot and others it's down right cold. By mid August in the mountains of Maine it will be more consistently cold. Warm days and chilly nights are the norm. A 15 degree bag will be overkill for a while, but a 40 will likely be very marginal more often then not.

The companion tells you all you need to know. Which roads have a town or store along them and which way to go. Just remember that their written for a NOBO so if it says go right, you go left.

You'll meet many NOBO hikers in Maine and a few in NH, after that you'll be on your own most of the time.

chiefduffy
07-24-2015, 19:29
Call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket if I can assist in any way.

CELTIC BUCK
07-24-2015, 23:26
You will need orange blaze. hat or vest before Penn . Hunting will be in full gear by the time you hit the mid Atlantic states.Have a Grand Hike.I would pack the 20 bag and be sure your warm in the higher elevations.

Heliotrope
07-26-2015, 18:37
First, thanks for checking this post. I'm excited to start my trip!

I'm starting in Maine mid August, hoping to finish December/January.

1st) Should I start with my 15F down bag, or safe to start with my lighter 40F bag? I have a friend who can maildrop gear as conditions change.

2nd) Is it fairly obvious where the towns/resupply joints are along the trail? I'll have the 2015 SOBO Companion, but I'm not bringing the maps.

3rd) Any caveats to starting this late such as resupply, trail conditions, hangry wildlife (terrified of bears), or few people to talk to?

Thanks,

- K
I agree with the other posters. You may be fine with the 40 bag for most of August but cold nights or higher elevation can leave you shivering. Last year through the 100 mw in early September I was almost too toasty in my 30 deg quilt. In previous years night time temps were in low 30s by September. Typically, the river fords are easier in late summer. I would consider scrutinizing your gear to get it as light as possible (without sacrificing warmth and safety) and you may be able to catch up to other SOBOs last year there were a handful of SOBOS that I was aware of that started at the end of August. The Bears should be well fed on blueberries by the time you hit the trail ;).

TJ aka Teej
07-26-2015, 18:56
Kevin, please check this post: 2015 Baxter State Park and Katahdin info for southbounders. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/111289-2015-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders)

Donde
07-26-2015, 20:05
40F is iffy for higher elevations in Maine and NH that time 32F- or 20F would be better. If in doubt take the warm on and just unzip it use it as a blanket. Overkill is easier to adjust to than freezing. Some hostels, stores, and shutllers will be closed when you show up. Speaking as a SOBO who finished in December be ready to adjust to the cold weather, an insulated pad may be needed especially if you are sleeping on snow pack some. Water might be an issue once you get south some sources in TN/NC and even VA south of SNP can dry up (not to mention smaller ones freezing solid. Most thrus don't carry maps, just a guidebook. Though maps are never a bad idea. You might get lonely towards the end, but even then section hikers and weekenders and such will be around most of the time. Have fun be safe and LNT.

kevinNC
07-29-2015, 21:36
Thanks guys, I'm going to just take the 15F.

I do have an orange vest that will go with me.

The 2015 SOBO Guide shows a few little towns, but not exactly how to get to them. Is there signage on the AT that say's "town is that way"?

I'll be taking a GPS phone, but can't rely on technology to get me there. I realize there isn't a lot in Maine or New Hampshire, but hoping I get the hang of things by then.

- K

kevinNC
07-29-2015, 21:37
Call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket if I can assist in any way.

Once i know the exact dates, I'll call and book a reservation.

- K

kevinNC
08-05-2015, 11:04
Finalizing my pack for the trip. I'm starting from Baxter with a 35lbs pack.

Tent is 3lbs. Just a fly and footprint /w poles. Using trekking poles only didn't work, so have to take the tent poles.

Food is about 12 lbs, figuring 10 days of food from Katahdin through the 100. 2 liters water.

Taking a 30F bag 2.5 lbs. in a eVent stuff sack.

1 change of clothes

smart phone, battery pack, small writing pad in waterproof sack.

basic survival stuff: knife, firesteel, water filter, first aid, some cash, bear spray, cordage, bear canister

Just did a 30 mile hike over the weekend @ art loeb, and felt pretty good.

Any other recommendations??

- K

illabelle
08-05-2015, 11:56
I'm sure others will chime in, but so far as I know, nobody carries a bear canister on the AT. It's required for a short section in Georgia in the springtime - but that's easily avoided. Few carry bear spray.

In reference to your earlier post: Not sure what trail guide you're carrying. If it's the AT Guide, it tells you which way the towns are, Foodtown E 0.8 means the fictitious Foodtown is .8 miles to the east. That's trail east, not compass east.

kevinNC
08-05-2015, 12:17
I'm sure others will chime in, but so far as I know, nobody carries a bear canister on the AT. It's required for a short section in Georgia in the springtime - but that's easily avoided.

That's a relief! I seem to be prone to bear encounters though... charged, stalked, robbed. Here in NC it's required in a lot of areas as bears know how to cut cords on hang bags, break off limbs, etc.

- K

bigcranky
08-05-2015, 16:44
If you are more comfortable with a canister, that's fine. Easier, too. We've done well with a solid PCT style hang using a cuben bear bag and some slick flat spectra cord. The OP Sack odor proof liners make a big difference in this setup.

I'm assuming you have a rain shell and pants, lightweight warm hat and gloves to start, some sort of warm layer like a light fleece, bandana, pot and stove of some sort, TP and maybe some Purell, the usual toilet articles like a toothbrush. Headlamp. I'd skip the firesteel and bring a little tealight candle or two - more useful and can get damp wood to light. But again, if you like it and use it, great.

Eat a lot of food at the camp store right before you enter the 100MW. :)

kevinNC
08-05-2015, 17:25
I'm assuming you have a rain shell and pants, lightweight warm hat and gloves to start, some sort of warm layer like a light fleece, bandana, pot and stove of some sort, TP and maybe some Purell, the usual toilet articles like a toothbrush. Headlamp. I'd skip the firesteel and bring a little tealight candle or two - more useful and can get damp wood to light. But again, if you like it and use it, great.

Eat a lot of food at the camp store right before you enter the 100MW. :)

Yep, got all the basics covered. Thanks for the tips on the bag. I've got a dry bag I am going to take instead. It's completely air tight when folded.

- K

bigcranky
08-06-2015, 06:57
If you're talking about a dry bag for food hanging, then I would recommend an OP Sack as a liner. It really does help, especially against mice and other small critters when hanging.

Have a great hike!

kevinNC
03-12-2016, 00:48
Just wanted to post up that I completed all 2200 miles doing a Southbound through hike beginning Aug 13th, and finished March 9th. I hiked through Fall and Winter, taking about 35 zero days. 14 of which were so I could go home for XMas and New Year.

Was an amazing experience, still too fresh to process.

Thanks,

Kevin, AKA Dr. Love.

4eyedbuzzard
03-12-2016, 00:57
Just wanted to post up that I completed all 2200 miles doing a Southbound through hike beginning Aug 13th, and finished March 9th. I hiked through Fall and Winter, taking about 35 zero days. 14 of which were so I could go home for XMas and New Year.

Was an amazing experience, still too fresh to process.

Thanks,

Kevin, AKA Dr. Love.Congrats on your successful thru-hike. Given how unusually warm last fall in New England was, how did the sleeping bag situation work out temperature wise? Be sure to stop back in and post some info and a few stories on your hike!

firesign
03-12-2016, 08:37
Thanks guys, I'm going to just take the 15F.

I do have an orange vest that will go with me.

The 2015 SOBO Guide shows a few little towns, but not exactly how to get to them. Is there signage on the AT that say's "town is that way"?

I'll be taking a GPS phone, but can't rely on technology to get me there. I realize there isn't a lot in Maine or New Hampshire, but hoping I get the hang of things by then.

- K

I used the Guthook AT apps - worth every cent.