PDA

View Full Version : Gear Talk: Fancy Feast Stove, what's your opinion? Let's talk!!

BenOnAdventures
07-24-2015, 21:49
Hey adventurers, I was doing some research earlier in the week and came across the Fancy Feast Stove, what's your opinion on it? Use it or an actual backpacking stove? Let's talk about it, I'm very interested to hear your opinions!!

Hikes in Rain
07-24-2015, 23:11
Sure can. My first non wood fueled DIY stove. Made it in maybe 15 minutes (I was being real obsessive about where the holes should go), worked like a charm. Now it's about all I use, ignoring the Whisperlite, the old generic butane canister "grasshopper" stove we had to sleep with in Alaska so the fuel wouldn't freeze, and several others. My wife is amazed that after all we've spent for stoves over the years (which of course we still have them all), this thing I pulled out of the trash is the one I use.

BenOnAdventures
07-24-2015, 23:31
Sure can. My first non wood fueled DIY stove. Made it in maybe 15 minutes (I was being real obsessive about where the holes should go), worked like a charm. Now it's about all I use, ignoring the Whisperlite, the old generic butane canister "grasshopper" stove we had to sleep with in Alaska so the fuel wouldn't freeze, and several others. My wife is amazed that after all we've spent for stoves over the years (which of course we still have them all), this thing I pulled out of the trash is the one I use. Oh sweet, if I may ask, what fuel do you use for the cat stoves? I read articles but none say a specific fuel type. Also what is your recommendation on hole placement? Thank you for the input, I appreciate it!!

Odd Man Out
07-24-2015, 23:36
Some clarification is in order. There are two different Fancy Feast Stoves so it would help to know which you are talking about.

Andrew Skurka has written on his blog and in his book about a stove he calls the "Fancy Feast" stove. However this stove is more correctly called by its original name - the Super Cat Stove. The Super Cat has been one of the most popular DIY alcohol stoves for a while because it can be effective as well as cheap and easy to make. Many people (including Skurka) have successfully used it on many long hikes. However this design has a number of shortcomings. In his recent blog post, Skurka has thankfully cleared up the confusion about the name and then goes on to outline the shortcomings of this design. It should be pointed out that there are dozens (if not hundreds) of alcohol stove designs, many of which do not have these issues. Another important lesson to learn from Skurka's blog post is that alcohol stoves work as part of a system which includes the stove, pot, stand, and wind screen. All need to work together to optimize the system. If you are building you own, this will time time and effort.

Here is the link to Skurka's recent blog post:
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/super-cat-fancy-feast-backpacking-alcohol-stove-flaws/

Here is the link to the original Super Cat stove page:
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/

The other stove that is correctly called the Fancee Feast Stove is commercially available from Zelph's stove works. While I do have some experience with the Super Cat, I have not used Zelph's Fancee Feast so I no first-hand knowledge about this stove, although I do know that like the Super Cat, many have used it with great success so it is certainly a viable alternative for a backpacker. I have used Zelph's Starlyte stove. Zelph posts on this forum so he may comment more on his designs.

Here is the link to Zelph's Fancee Feast Stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php

Each type of alcohol system has its own advantages and disadvantages, as does all the other stove options (canister, white gas, wood, esbit, no stove, etc...). There is no one best answer that fits all people and all hikes.

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 00:02
Some clarification is in order. There are two different Fancy Feast Stoves so it would help to know which you are talking about.

Andrew Skurka has written on his blog and in his book about a stove he calls the "Fancy Feast" stove. However this stove is more correctly called by its original name - the Super Cat Stove. The Super Cat has been one of the most popular DIY alcohol stoves for a while because it can be effective as well as cheap and easy to make. Many people (including Skurka) have successfully used it on many long hikes. However this design has a number of shortcomings. In his recent blog post, Skurka has thankfully cleared up the confusion about the name and then goes on to outline the shortcomings of this design. It should be pointed out that there are dozens (if not hundreds) of alcohol stove designs, many of which do not have these issues. Another important lesson to learn from Skurka's blog post is that alcohol stoves work as part of a system which includes the stove, pot, stand, and wind screen. All need to work together to optimize the system. If you are building you own, this will time time and effort.

Here is the link to Skurka's recent blog post:
http://andrewskurka.com/2015/super-cat-fancy-feast-backpacking-alcohol-stove-flaws/

Here is the link to the original Super Cat stove page:
http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/

The other stove that is correctly called the Fancee Feast Stove is commercially available from Zelph's stove works. While I do have some experience with the Super Cat, I have not used Zelph's Fancee Feast so I no first-hand knowledge about this stove, although I do know that like the Super Cat, many have used it with great success so it is certainly a viable alternative for a backpacker. I have used Zelph's Starlyte stove. Zelph posts on this forum so he may comment more on his designs.

Here is the link to Zelph's Fancee Feast Stove.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest.php

Each type of alcohol system has its own advantages and disadvantages, as does all the other stove options (canister, white gas, wood, esbit, no stove, etc...). There is no one best answer that fits all people and all hikes. Excellent answer. I appreciate it and apologize for not clarifying that I was talking about Skurka's. Also I did know that about the name. But anyways thanks for the links!! Have a great weekend!!

JohnnySnook
07-25-2015, 03:14
This section has lots of great info in it!
Stoves and cooking!!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php/491-Cooking

RangerZ
07-25-2015, 08:09
Hey adventurers, I was doing some research earlier in the week and came across the Fancy Feast Stove, what's your opinion on it? Use it or an actual backpacking stove? Let's talk about it, I'm very interested to hear your opinions!!

Zelph and others would agree that the Fancee Feast stove is an actual backpacking stove. Personally I have evolved to using a cat food can stove for its simplicity.

Hikes in Rain
07-25-2015, 08:34
Thanks for clarifying, Odd Man. It was late. :) The one I made is the SuperCat. BenOn, I started with denatured alcohol, $7.95 a quart at Lowes. At an ounce or so per burn, it lasted a long time! But I had to recycle bottles to carry fuel, and constantly worried someone would take a swig while I wasn't looking, thinking is was soda or water. A couple of years ago, Walmart had a clearance sale on a six-pack of Heet (in the yellow bottle), which I think burns slightly hotter (not enough so you'd really notice), and more importantly to me, comes in a bottle that no one will take a drink from. Common rubbing alcohol won't do well. It's isopropenal instead of methanol, and usually diluted to 70% or so. Even in higher concentrations, it burns cooler and leaves a lot of silt.

These stoves aren't as fast as others, since alcohol has less BTUs per unit volume. But then, you have time out in the woods. Also, they generally aren't adjustable (some are), so they burn wide open until the fuel is gone. And their size typically limits them to one-person stoves. But they're silent, foolproof, and reliable, since there's nothing to break. Even if someone steps on it and squashes it flat, you can make another one in a few minutes. You could even make the fuel yourself, although practically, I think I'd just cook on a wood fire before distilling alcohol. And there's the satisfaction of using something you made yourself.

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 10:40
Thank you I'll look into it!!

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 10:43
Thanks for clarifying, Odd Man. It was late. :) The one I made is the SuperCat. BenOn, I started with denatured alcohol, $7.95 a quart at Lowes. At an ounce or so per burn, it lasted a long time! But I had to recycle bottles to carry fuel, and constantly worried someone would take a swig while I wasn't looking, thinking is was soda or water. A couple of years ago, Walmart had a clearance sale on a six-pack of Heet (in the yellow bottle), which I think burns slightly hotter (not enough so you'd really notice), and more importantly to me, comes in a bottle that no one will take a drink from. Common rubbing alcohol won't do well. It's isopropenal instead of methanol, and usually diluted to 70% or so. Even in higher concentrations, it burns cooler and leaves a lot of silt.

These stoves aren't as fast as others, since alcohol has less BTUs per unit volume. But then, you have time out in the woods. Also, they generally aren't adjustable (some are), so they burn wide open until the fuel is gone. And their size typically limits them to one-person stoves. But they're silent, foolproof, and reliable, since there's nothing to break. Even if someone steps on it and squashes it flat, you can make another one in a few minutes. You could even make the fuel yourself, although practically, I think I'd just cook on a wood fire before distilling alcohol. And there's the satisfaction of using something you made yourself. Great answer I really do appreciate it and appreciate the kind words!! Too many people on this site freak out or be super negative. It's great to hear some positivity for once!!

Odd Man Out
07-25-2015, 11:16
When I was using a super cat I used this modification. The efficiency of the supercity suffers because so much heat goes up the side of the pot. So I made what is called a simmer cat with one row of holes. Then I made a pot stand with hardware cloth. Make the stand so that it is a couple of mm taller than the stove. This way there will be a small gap between the bottom of the pot and the top of the stove. The pot is not actually on the stove. This has several advantages. One is the pot is more stable a less prone to spilling. Also the stove burns much hotter with that gap so the heat output of a simmer cat is close to that of a super cat. You can also get a much greater load of fuel without the lower row of holes. Also you can put the pot on the stove right after you light it. It will burn slowly until it blooms but it won't go out. This increases efficiency since you are no buning a lot of fuel before putting the pot on. It's more convenient than waiting for the bloom and also a pot of cold water won't extinguish the stove by acting as a big heat sink. One other thing you can do to make your system easier to use and more convenient is to make a smuffer. If you can find an aluminum beverage can that is larger than the stove, cut off the bottom of the can so you can put it on top of the stove to snuff it iut. Then when you are done cooking, snuff the stove and when cool, pour excess fuel back to your fuel bottle. You don't have to guess how much fuel to use. Just add more than enough. No more running out because you guessed too low and no more wasting fuel by burning off the excess.

Odd Man Out
07-25-2015, 11:19
All that being said, I have now moved on to using an easy capillary hoop stove (eCHS). It's a bit harder to make but over all a better stove I think.

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 11:35
All that being said, I have now moved on to using an easy capillary hoop stove (eCHS). It's a bit harder to make but over all a better stove I think. Oh i see cool, i'll look into it. Thank you for this idea and thanks for your previous response about the modification. I appreciate them both!!

Hikes in Rain
07-25-2015, 13:26
Be cautions. It appears that building stoves is very addictive, and it's difficult to withdraw. I've only made one, so I appear to be immune. Well, I don't count the hobo wood burning stoves. And I would like to make a simmercat.

Uh oh. :eek:

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 14:10
Be cautions. It appears that building stoves is very addictive, and it's difficult to withdraw. I've only made one, so I appear to be immune. Well, I don't count the hobo wood burning stoves. And I would like to make a simmercat.

Uh oh. :eek: Thanks lol I'll keep that in mind! Thanks again for everything!

Odd Man Out
07-25-2015, 14:26
...Well, I don't count the hobo wood burning stoves....

Denial is the first symptom of addiction ;-)

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 14:40
Denial is the first symptom of addiction ;-) You're speaking the truth lol

Rocket Jones
07-25-2015, 16:22
For car camping, I take a canister stove. For backpacking, it's a modified SuperCat every time. I cook based on the Backpacking Chef's method, where you heat your food to a boil before using the cozy, rather than straight FBC. My SuperCat is a cross between the Simmer Cat and Super Cat, because I want the boil to be a bit slower than usual. I also wrapped a few turns of kevlar thread around the stove and epoxied it in place. Before I pour in my alcohol, I soak the thread with a few drops of fuel and then fill the stove. Lighting it then acts as a pre-heater, which makes the bloom happen faster. Mostly, I just wait until I see bubbles form in the fuel before putting my pot on the stove, and then it'll bloom almost instantly.

Like someone said, it's a system. My windscreen is cut out from a disposable turkey pan, so it's heavier than foil but lighter than flashing. I punched holes along the bottom on one half only, so I can completely block the wind but still allow adequate airflow. I also have the windscreen sized for my pot and use a small binder clip to hold it closed. Works like a champ.

BenOnAdventures
07-25-2015, 17:51
For car camping, I take a canister stove. For backpacking, it's a modified SuperCat every time. I cook based on the Backpacking Chef's method, where you heat your food to a boil before using the cozy, rather than straight FBC. My SuperCat is a cross between the Simmer Cat and Super Cat, because I want the boil to be a bit slower than usual. I also wrapped a few turns of kevlar thread around the stove and epoxied it in place. Before I pour in my alcohol, I soak the thread with a few drops of fuel and then fill the stove. Lighting it then acts as a pre-heater, which makes the bloom happen faster. Mostly, I just wait until I see bubbles form in the fuel before putting my pot on the stove, and then it'll bloom almost instantly.

Like someone said, it's a system. My windscreen is cut out from a disposable turkey pan, so it's heavier than foil but lighter than flashing. I punched holes along the bottom on one half only, so I can completely block the wind but still allow adequate airflow. I also have the windscreen sized for my pot and use a small binder clip to hold it closed. Works like a champ. Excellent Ideas!! I really like them, I definitely will keep these in mind when I decide on what i'm gonna make! I'll keep all of you updated as to what I do. As of right now, i'm just finishing up a review for Tuesday's gear review on some paracord but after that I'm planning on starting to really work on a stove. Thanks again!!

Slack-jawed Trog
07-30-2015, 21:22
I still have a couple of Super Cat stoves but I prefer a Unican style stove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM
I used a beer can to make mine, and with a custom aluminum foil wind screen developed in my Cat stove trials, it works well enough with my grease pot. YMMV, and invariably will...