PDA

View Full Version : Would this size pack be a 'safe' pack?

BP219
07-25-2015, 01:01
Hello! I'm pretty new to backpacking and for a late birthday, my sister is getting me a pack. She said it's either 'now or never' so I'm going to be jumping on the opportunity. However, I do know what everyone says to do first, 'put all your gear into a box and see how much volume/room it takes up'. The only problem is, I don't really have any gear yet other than a headlamp, first aid kit, a few clothes, etc. just small items. Since I'm really keen into hiking, camping, etc. and have a few trips planned out for this year, I'm thinking that I should just go with a 70 Liter backpack. I 'feel' that this is a safe size and that it'll fluctuate during the times I go (sometimes it'll be in November, other times March then May), and I'll have enough room for my gear ('feel' is just going off on what I heard, no real proof). I so far tried to guesstimate weight by looking into items I'm interested in getting and so far it's going to be around 24 lbs w/o food. I figured that with 5 lbs of food added in it would be around 29-31 pounds. So, back to the question, do you think just getting a 70 Liter backpack would be good? Thanks!

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 01:13
Maybe

A backpack with no gear to put in it, is pretty useless though.

You dont know what you need, want, or like. Getting something just to get it is a way to make a poor purchase. Dont rush, and dont be too cheap. Both will waste lots of money and time.

Sarcasm the elf
07-25-2015, 01:23
Before you go any further, is the pack in question one that you have tried on, or better yet been fitted into by a knowledgeable person at an outfitter? Honestly, I'd never recommend letting someone else buy you a pack arbitrarily. How a pack fits is arguably just as important as how a pair of shoes fits, even the best ones can be great or terrible depending on your individual fit.

I personally have gone through three packs, gotten rid of one, and kept two, one as a 3 season pack, a ULA Circuit which is an amazing 3 season pack for my style of light weight but not necessarily ultralight 3 season hiking, the other one is a Gregory Baltoro 70. The 70 liter pack I use on real winter trips, the kind when I'm carrying 40-60lbs, packing either a zero degree or -20 degree bag, 3-4 season tent, full down puffy jacket, microspikes/crampons, possibly snowshoes and ice axe, usually a folding saw for fires, etc. Is it a great pack? Yes, would I want to carry it around for most of my trips in milder weather? No.

Is there anything wrong with carrying around a 70 liter pack year-round? No. Is it an ideal setup? Probably not. Assuming that you are intent on longer distance hiking with an emphasis on making miles and primarily camping in order to hike, as opposed to camping for the enjoyment of camping. Getting a slightly smaller pack and then packing within it's limitations is often a PIA, but the benefits of doing so usually outweigh the inconvenience of the size restriction by a good margin. It teaches you to learn what you need an what you don't and forces you to think with a more minimalist strategy.

Then again, if your plan is to go out for shorter mileage days and enjoy yourself with some luxuries, then by all means bring larger pack with a bit more stuff, those that is a great style of hiking/camping as well.

BP219
07-25-2015, 01:33
Maybe

A backpack with no gear to put in it, is pretty useless though.

You dont know what you need, want, or like. Getting something just to get it is a way to make a poor purchase. Dont rush, and dont be too cheap. Both will waste lots of money and time.

Before you go any further, is the pack in question one that you have tried on, or better yet been fitted into by a knowledgeable person at an outfitter? Honestly, I'd never recommend letting someone else buy you a pack arbitrarily. How a pack fits is arguably just as important as how a pair of shoes fits, even the best ones can be great or terrible depending on your individual fit.

I personally have gone through three packs, gotten rid of one, and kept two, one as a 3 season pack, a ULA Circuit which is an amazing 3 season pack for my style of light weight but not necessarily ultralight 3 season hiking, the other one is a Gregory Baltoro 70. The 70 liter pack I use on real winter trips, the kind when I'm carrying 40-60lbs, packing either a zero degree or -20 degree bag, 3-4 season tent, fully puffy jacket, microspikes/crampons, possibly snowshoes, usually holding saw for fires, etc. Is it a great pack? Yes, would I want to carry it around for most of my trips? No.

Is there anything wrong with carrying around a 70 liter pack year-round? No. Is it an ideal setup? Probably not, assuming that you are intent on longer distance hiking with an emphasis on making miles and only camping in order to hike, as opposed to camping for the enjoyment of camping. Getting a slightly smaller pack and then packing within it's limitations is often a PIA, but the benefits of doing so usually outweigh the inconvenience of the size restriction by a good margin. It teaches you to learn what you need an what you don't and forces you to think with a more minimalist strategy.

Then again, if your plan is to go out for shorter mileage days and enjoy yourself with some luxuries, then by all means bring larger pack with a bit more stuff, those that is a great style of hiking/camping as well.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't tried on any backpacks to be honest, and I really need to get on that. However, just moving (moved about 5 hours away from the nearest REI store), I'm out of luck. Do you know of any stores similar to REI by any chance that will have an experienced person?

I'll ask for a tent then, thanks again!

Sarcasm the elf
07-25-2015, 01:45
Thanks for the replies! I haven't tried on any backpacks to be honest, and I really need to get on that. However, just moving (moved about 5 hours away from the nearest REI store), I'm out of luck. Do you know of any stores similar to REI by any chance that will have an experienced person?

I'll ask for a tent then, thanks again!

I don't know your area, but if you have an East Mountain Sports, aka EMS outfitter, they are excellent. A few of our members are from Chicago, so if we're lucky one might chime in with a local recommendation.

As fair warning :rolleyes: folks here can argue for days about what is a good tent. I think that a tent is a safer item to buy sight unseen than a backpack, but it also depends on what you want to use it for. Are you looking to get into lightweight longer distance hiking (where walking is the primary purpose and you camp mostly for the purpose of multi day hiking) or are you looking to hike and camp more for enjoyment and camping with shorter hiking distance being covered? Do you want a solo tent, or something for more than one person?

At the moment, my favorite are Tarptents (http://tarptent.com (http://tarptent.com/)) or lightheart gear (http://www.lightheartgear.com/) both make very lightweight tents that are excellent for lightweight hiking focused trips and in my opinion can be safely bought sight unseen as long as you do sufficient research. There are many similar companies that make lightweight tents as well as tarps and other options, but these are the two I am familiar with.

BP219
07-25-2015, 01:55
I don't know your area, but if you have an East Mountain Sports, aka EMS outfitter, they are excellent. A few of our members are from Chicago, so if we're lucky one might chime in with a local recommendation.

As fair warning :rolleyes: folks here can argue for days about what is a good tent. I think that a tent is a safer item to buy sight unseen than a backpack, but it also depends on what you want to use it for. Are you looking to get into lightweight longer distance hiking (where walking is the primary purpose and you camp mostly for the purpose of multi day hiking) or are you looking to hike and camp more for enjoyment and camping with shorter hiking distance being covered? Do you want a solo tent, or something for more than one person?

At the moment, my favorite are Tarptents (http://tarptent.com (http://tarptent.com/)) or lightheart gear (http://www.lightheartgear.com/) both make very lightweight tents that are excellent for lightweight hiking focused trips and in my opinion can be safely bought sight unseen as long as you do sufficient research. There are many similar companies that make lightweight tents as well as tarps and other options, but these are the two I am familiar with.

Oops, meant to update my location, I'm actually in Central IL now, a bit away from Chicago, force of habit to say I'm from Chicago haha.

I checked there and couldn't find any of them sadly. I'm really interested in a specific brand, Teton, and I can't find them in stores anywhere other then online tho.

I checked out the tent before, my friend has the same one, Alps Lynx 1, and it seems pretty sturdy and it withstood when we were in the Andes so I think I might just get one. But I'm always open to suggestions and will look into those two sites! I'll be getting a one person tent and I'm just backpacking to take in the sights and sounds. I don't need anything luxurious, just something to get the job done and that won't break my back while on week long hikes.

nsherry61
07-25-2015, 02:04
You can always get a friend to help you measure your torso, then buy a reputable pack from an outfitter with a good return policy.

I think 70L is a bit much if you're interested in light weight backpacking. With a bit of discipline and research you should be able to fit into a 50-60L pack without too much effort.

Namtrag
07-25-2015, 07:04
Way too big...you will form bad habits, and carry too much weight. I concur with 50-60 liters. Our friend has an Exos 58, and had a full sized bear can, along with everything else, for a 6 day trip.

Tuckahoe
07-25-2015, 07:54
I'm really interested in a specific brand, Teton, and I can't find them in stores anywhere other then online tho.

I'm curious. Why are you interested in this particular brand?

I have never actually seen a pack from this company, so I can't really judge it one way or the other. They seem to supply packs to the big box sports stores under their own brand name or as in house private labels.

BP219
07-25-2015, 10:28
You can always get a friend to help you measure your torso, then buy a reputable pack from an outfitter with a good return policy.

I think 70L is a bit much if you're interested in light weight backpacking. With a bit of discipline and research you should be able to fit into a 50-60L pack without too much effort.

Way too big...you will form bad habits, and carry too much weight. I concur with 50-60 liters. Our friend has an Exos 58, and had a full sized bear can, along with everything else, for a 6 day trip.

I'm curious. Why are you interested in this particular brand?

I have never actually seen a pack from this company, so I can't really judge it one way or the other. They seem to supply packs to the big box sports stores under their own brand name or as in house private labels.

Gotcha! I'm just going to wait until I get all my gear, like told before, and then put it in a box and measure it that way, seems a bit safer. This is the proper way right?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27LF8BuKgM

I'd really like to try for the 60, which I think I'll be able to do after I get everything. How much should you account for a 5-6 day supply of food? I won't have it before hand, but can you substitute for something else (don't laugh, but I was thinking three appropriate sized books to at least guesstimate the volume)?

The two people I do know that are experienced backpackers say that it's a great pack for college students who can't afford an Osprey, or who don't want one, and it offers almost as much comfort. I've also seen them around a lot while hiking and talked to people who have them and they say that they're pretty good.

Thanks for the responses!

Coffee
07-25-2015, 10:34
One interesting observation I have made is that people unfamiliar or new to lightweight backpacking perceive even "large" packs like the Circuit to be "small". I get comments about my "small" Circuit all the time even when fully loaded with the extension collar fully used. It really is important to get all yours gear together first and then pick a pack no larger than necessary. Otherwise it really is human nature to put "just one more little thing" into a pack to consume volume. I just got a new CDT and its providing discipline when it comes to deciding what to include. That forced discipline can be a good thing.

BP219
07-25-2015, 10:40
One interesting observation I have made is that people unfamiliar or new to lightweight backpacking perceive even "large" packs like the Circuit to be "small". I get comments about my "small" Circuit all the time even when fully loaded with the extension collar fully used. It really is important to get all yours gear together first and then pick a pack no larger than necessary. Otherwise it really is human nature to put "just one more little thing" into a pack to consume volume. I just got a new CDT and its providing discipline when it comes to deciding what to include. That forced discipline can be a good thing.

I was having my doubts in the beginning thinking about how 'safe' it would be to just get a 70 Liter and not care about the extra little weight, then I remembered hiking the Andes and Machu Picchu and how difficult it was with a 25 lb reg. backpack haha. But I agree! How did you account for food if I may ask?

Coffee
07-25-2015, 10:47
On prior longer hikes I have tried to keep resupply segments below five days. The Circuit is great for this volume along with my other gear but I can get 8+ days of food in when needed. I'm planning to use my CDT for shorter 1-3 day trips.

BP219
07-25-2015, 10:50
On prior longer hikes I have tried to keep resupply segments below five days. The Circuit is great for this volume along with my other gear but I can get 8+ days of food in when needed. I'm planning to use my CDT for shorter 1-3 day trips.

Oh sorry, I meant before buying a pack, how did you account for the food space? How much space do you set aside for food (lbs, volume, etc.)?

But gotcha, I really should look into mail drops more closely haha.

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 11:20
Oh sorry, I meant before buying a pack, how did you account for the food space? How much space do you set aside for food (lbs, volume,

Says it all

Odd Man Out
07-25-2015, 11:29
WRT pack fitting, many people will recommend the ULA circut. I have a very similar pack, Kalais by Elemental Horizons. The packs are sold in very few stores so it is safe to say that many if not most people using the got them without a fitting. These small companies work mostly by mail and have good customer service. Check their return policy. If it doesn't fit you can probably return it.

BP219
07-25-2015, 12:06
Gotcha, thanks!

I was reading on a thread somewhere else where someone says that they at least leave 1.5 liter of space for a day of food (which they also said is around 1-1.5 pounds). Is this a good rule of thumb to factor in when you get all your gear except for the food?

And then do you guys use water bladders or just nalgene/water bottles?

Walkintom
07-25-2015, 12:42
An Osprey Volt/Viva may be a good pack to look at.

Adjustable length torso = much better chances it will be a good fit. Also, priced around $200 depending on size you select.

I figure 2 pounds per day for food, which is on the heavy side, but I'm including all y snacks which tend to include some fresh fruit and cliff bars. Snacks and lunch are usually most of my daily food weight because they're ready to eat, not freeze dried or requiring cooking.

BP219
07-25-2015, 12:44
An Osprey Volt/Viva may be a good pack to look at.

Adjustable length torso = much better chances it will be a good fit. Also, priced around $200 depending on size you select.

I figure 2 pounds per day for food, which is on the heavy side, but I'm including all y snacks which tend to include some fresh fruit and cliff bars. Snacks and lunch are usually most of my daily food weight because they're ready to eat, not freeze dried or requiring cooking.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Would you say that's around 1.5 liters? I'll be trying to go as light as possible, but will have dried fruit haha.

Walkintom
07-25-2015, 12:49
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Would you say that's around 1.5 liters? I'll be trying to go as light as possible, but will have dried fruit haha.

It really varies depending on what you buy to eat.

My rule of thumb is to buy what I want to eat, even if I have to strap stuff outside my pack because it won't all fit. Then I eat the bulkiest, heaviest, least durable items first and everything fits again.

In general, my food takes up less than 1.5 liters/day but it sometimes shoots above that if I get crazy ideas like french bread loaves. I'd say it's an ok number to use for guesstimating.

BP219
07-25-2015, 13:03
It really varies depending on what you buy to eat.

My rule of thumb is to buy what I want to eat, even if I have to strap stuff outside my pack because it won't all fit. Then I eat the bulkiest, heaviest, least durable items first and everything fits again.

In general, my food takes up less than 1.5 liters/day but it sometimes shoots above that if I get crazy ideas like french bread loaves. I'd say it's an ok number to use for guesstimating.

Gotcha, thanks! Would you say that this is the proper way to measure all your gear and food?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b27LF8BuKgM

Coffee
07-25-2015, 13:09
My bear canister (used only in the Sierra Nevada) is a bit over 12L and I can squeeze seven days of very high density foods in there. If I'm not constrained by a canister I suspect that my food volume is closer to 2L/day, maybe a bit higher.