PDA

View Full Version : Do thru hikers have a tendency to not throw out old trail shoes?

denimlabels
07-25-2015, 16:24
I know this seems like a really silly question and I had second thoughts on asking BUT...Do thru hikers have a tendency to keep that pair of worn out shoes they walked 1200 miles in? Kind of like a trail scar? Fun to look at and think about 10 or 20 years later? I have watched quite a few trail shoe vids on you tube and I notice that many hikers speak about old trail shoes as if they are an extension of themselves.

Im not knocking it at all. I would probably keep my old trail shoes if I could. :)

Walkintom
07-25-2015, 16:25
I throw out old shoes. Once the last is shot, I'm done with them. Life hands me enough baggage without deliberately creating extra.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2015, 16:36
they send them to neel gap and litter the tree in front of the store with them

MuddyWaters
07-25-2015, 17:17
Used shoes are like old girlfriends.

Some, are simply good riddance.

Some, you dont want to completely say goodbye to, until you are sure you will never ever need them again.

Some are just sentimental and you want a keepsake

Coffee
07-25-2015, 18:25
I donate old trail and road runners to Goodwill every year.

bigcranky
07-25-2015, 18:58
I rotate them into the "work in the yard" pile, then those get tossed when they are totally trashed.

imscotty
07-25-2015, 19:29
I'm with Big Cranky. I always keep a few pairs around for house painting, for water shoes, or other destructive purposes.

Malto
07-25-2015, 19:41
I wear them to work! It is amazing how good a worn out pair of trail runners can look. By the way 1200 miles is asking for trouble.

denimlabels
07-25-2015, 20:36
Great stuff! It seems some are definitely more nostalgic toward their old hiking shoes than others. I imagine they would make great boat shoes and walkin' the dog. I think I would frame them on my wall if I ever make it that far.

rickb
07-25-2015, 21:11
Great stuff! It seems some are definitely more nostalgic toward their old hiking shoes than others. I imagine they would make great boat shoes and walkin' the dog. I think I would frame them on my wall if I ever make it that far.

I would look for mine in th garage and post a picture, but I am too shy to go first.

I don't hold on to much crap, but ....

Dogwood
07-25-2015, 22:02
I can be one of those LD hikers who recycles hiking footwear. Let's see. I have three pr of $120+ trail runners for working in the garden, mowing the lawn, weed wacking a stream's edge behind the house, wading/beach combing the Pacific in Hawaii, paddling activities, doing painting chores, engine tune ups, etc. I often replace the more expensive hiking orthotics/after market footbeds of these retired trail runners and replace with cheaper ones like the stock crap most trail runners come with. If you ever notice a tall thin guy with deep tan and a content attitude in Alpharetta or Kona mowing the lawn or working on a PU wearing once pricey trail runners and beat up Smartwool or Icebreaker tee, Smartwool or Darn Tough ankle socks, and nylon GoLite or New Balance running shorts it's me.

I take my LD hiking and physical health seriously. I never put 1200 trail miles on any of my trail runners.

I built a tree fort for my nephew. I used the soles from a pr of trail runners I used on a PCT thru as flexible door hinges. :cool:

Dogwood
07-25-2015, 22:06
Oh, forgot. I have some curly parsley growing in an old mid cut hiking shoe in the garden and use the other one for storing some garden hand tools, horticultural tape, small file, and plant tags.

sbhikes
07-27-2015, 14:06
I think old trail-worn shoes tend to be too stinky to save as souvenirs.

Different Socks
07-27-2015, 14:29
I still have my Limmers that I wore on the AT, LT, PCT, Ice Age Trail and many other shorter trails.

changed
07-27-2015, 18:27
My boots went into the garbage at Monson, then walked through another pair, and they go in the trash. I never want to see them again!

Dogwood
07-27-2015, 18:36
I think old trail-worn shoes tend to be too stinky to save as souvenirs.

Taking the old beaten up footbeds out of them, washing well with the hose and/or soaking in a bucket containing a solution of McNetts Mirazyme, letting dry thoroughly, and then replacing the footbeds with the original cheap crap stock footbeds, and the oh door goes away. Of course, that entails not wearing your hiking shoes until they literally fall apart.

Odd Man Out
07-27-2015, 20:07
My retired shoes become lawn mowing shoes. When I retire the next pair, I get new lawnmowing shoes and the old ones get ditched.